The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Did Mancuso start as a electric bass player? His technique looks more like that to me than a traditional guitarists right hand.

obviously we’ve had the whole couple of generations of bass players influenced by Jaco playing really athletic lines with fingers for almost 50 years now; but that hasn’t crossed over to the six string much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Did Mancuso start as a electric bass player? His technique looks more like that to me than a traditional guitarists right hand.

obviously we’ve had the whole couple of generations of bass players influenced by Jaco playing really athletic lines with fingers for almost 50 years now; but that hasn’t crossed over to the six string much.
    I do not think so.
    I think he uses nails.
    It kind of reminds me of playing flamenco on the electric guitar.
    He often only uses the two fingers of his right hand.

User Info Menu

Somehow I never saw this one before, exactly what I was looking for though:

(definitely not his best guitar btw...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seaguitar
    Wow! He’s amazing. Makes me feel like giving up LOL
    sea...NO..you cant give up !

exceptional players that inspire us..push us to go beyond our limits today..

I realize I cant be those players..but I can be me..and over the years I pushed myself..until I could hear and play things I have heard them play

and when I feel satisfied with my playing..I take another challenge ..step by step . and..

it does not stop..practice is a musicians breath..we have to evolve

I have watched a few YT of Mancuso...he says "..I learned this from watching Eric Johnson.." as he plays one of EJs riffs ..

what he does not tell us is..how long did it take him to digest that riff and make it his own
    Last edited by wolflen; 12-23-2021 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

TY Litterick...........

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

And of course jazz without a pick doesn't necessarily mean fingers, first player that came to mind was... WES!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    sea...NO..you cant give up !
    LOL - thank for the words of encouragement

User Info Menu

Daddy Stovepipe (sic) on a Slaman "Dome" nylon string archtop:

Adam Miller on a Thorell:

User Info Menu

Some more ...

User Info Menu

Frank Potenza.

Also handy with a pick - plays both ways here:

Frank has some very nice courses on TrueFire and MyMusicMasterclass.

Frank Potenza Online Guitar Lessons - TrueFire

Frank Potenza - Artist Profile - My Music Masterclass

A very nice piano/guitar duo album:
    Unsupported browser

His lovely tribute album to Joe Pass:
    Unsupported browser

Great player; great guy all around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seaguitar
    There is one huge name missing, a monster of a guitarist - Yamandu Costa - who pretty much can pick up and play and improvise in any musical language spontaneously including jazz and classical. He plays classical, brazilian choro, jazz etc and lives in all the worlds at the top. Astonishing player with mind boggling technique
    Thank you for mentioning him! Very inspiring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    THE first name that comes to mind when we're talking about "jazz" guitar played fingerstyle is Joe Pass. He abandoned his pick around the time he recorded his first "Virtuoso" album in the mid 70's. Even before him it was Lenny Breau who played only fingerstyle. Ted Greene, Ralph Towner, Romero Lubambo, Gene Bertoncini, Earl Klugh, Paul Meyers, Pat Metheny, Mick Goodrick, Steve Herberman, ... and I'm missing most for sure. Which guitar ??? ANY guitar !!!! Just go for it and don't give up. No rules .....
    Uhh. You left out the guy who was before all of those. Ever hear of Wes Montgomery?

User Info Menu

I've never comfortably been able to include Wes as a fingerstyle player, I have to admit. He played with his thumb, maybe it should be called thumbstyle. He really did not use his fingers much at all on his right hand for playing notes. And quite frankly with the results he got, he didn't need them! He remains the pinnacle of jazz guitar for many people and it would be pretty hard to argue against that.

Should Chuck Wayne be included as a fingerstyle player? Granted, he played hybrid style using a pick and the other three fingers, but he preceded everybody else we've been talking about in developing this technique.

There was a guitarist in maybe the late 40s, early 50s who played nylon string finger style jazz guitar; he was a little before Charlie Byrd and they had the same classical guitar teacher, if I remember correctly. I can remember all those details but for the life of me I can't think of his name.

Also, nobody has mentioned Duck Baker, who had instructional videos about finger style jazz guitar back in the 80s. I think those were sold by Homespun Videos (Happy Traum) but maybe it was Hot Licks (Arlen Roth). And has Jody Fisher come up? He has a bunch of stuff on YouTube demonstrating fingerstyle jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

I think of Wes as a pick player who happened not to use an actual pick. The mechanics of his right hand are actually pretty similar to rest stroke gypsy style picking.

User Info Menu

Kevin Eubanks
    George Van Eps
    Francesco Buzzuro
    Sylvain Courtney
    Steve Masakoswki
    Jimmy Ponder (thumb)
    Tuck Andress
    Tom Lippincott
    Last edited by John A.; 01-31-2022 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    There was a guitarist in maybe the late 40s, early 50s who played nylon string finger style jazz guitar; he was a little before Charlie Byrd and they had the same classical guitar teacher, if I remember correctly. I can remember all those details but for the life of me I can't think of his name.
    Laurindo Almeida?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Laurindo Almeida?
    Bill Harris.

User Info Menu

Nice! Pity the recordings aren't the best, intonation is (more than) iffy (flutter?)

User Info Menu

This is a very nice thread. Besides Yamandu and Baden Powell, I would humbly suggest hearing (and seeing!) Helio Delmiro the brazilian musician playing electric & classical guitar using basically the same technique. His blistering single line work is mainly using i & , while the thumb touches lightly the loewr strings and uses "pima" for chords counterpoint and arpeggios [thumb(police), index, middle and ring(anular) fingers]. Very similar to Lenny Breau but without a thumb pick.

The complete use of the right hand opens up polyphonic possibilities (having 4 or 5 instead of a single plucking device at the any given time). It also opens up new musical possibilities and centuries of other instruments (from European lutes to guitars, etc.) and music. For those embarking on this possibility it is a very, very interesting endeavor. Yes, there is a large repertoire for classical guitar that you can play in the steel stringed electric and and have lots of fun (studies by Leo Brower, Villa Lobos, etc., for example).

Helio Delmiro samples:

Spanish Guitar: "All the things you are".

(if you liked this go after the Assad brothers duo work...)

Electric guitar: group music (the camera focus a lot on his right hand so that you can se what he is doing).

I hope you enjoy.

User Info Menu

Mancuso, declared that the studied the classical guitar and his right hand position and use shows this. Notice that the the hand changes angle from free to rest strokes. Yes, he is using the rest stroke i&m used by flamenco musicians to play fast lines. Very nice and complete technique.