Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 111
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Damn. With a PICK.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu


  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Damn. With a PICK.<br>
    <br>
    OMG, just amazing!
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 09-24-2021 at 04:47 PM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I'm always surprised how tense classical players hands look. It looks like he's got that pick in a death grip.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Nice acoustic location, as well. Virtuoso, for sure!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Ballsy of him to even attempt with a pick, but lacking, nevertheless.

    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 09-24-2021 at 11:42 PM.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I'm always surprised how tense classical players hands look. It looks like he's got that pick in a death grip.
    Is he a classical player?

    Anyway, not too much hand tension here:


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Well, the hand has to be like concrete but the fingers have to be like steel+rubber. Easy.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Damn. With a PICK.

    I played this piece in a music school many years ago.
    If I came with a jazz guitar and play Alhambra with the pick I would be kicked out.
    This gentelman worked terribly to achieve this effect.
    Classical musicians have been practicing the tremolo since childhood.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I'm always surprised how tense classical players hands look. It looks like he's got that pick in a death grip.

    they do not use :-)
    Last edited by Gabor; 09-25-2021 at 07:39 AM.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    "Recuerdos" ,for me, is a Barnum and Bailey piece for Classical guitar. It is always introduced as a didactic piece for beginner-intermediate CG students and very few guitarists produce an even tremolo, ever, and the reasons are always mechanical/physical. However, many players now use an p-i-m-i approach and eliminate the "a" finger completely-the source of problems for most players. Also, there was a trick I used to cheat the ears when playing tremolo in the past: substitute the quadruplets for triplets. Nobody will know except a pro. So, "Recuerdos: on a EG? What's the point? I don't really know other than theater.
    Play live . . . Marinero

    P.S. For the record, the melody IS beautiful and Tarrega is one of my favorite composers. M

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "Recuerdos" ,for me, is a Barnum and Bailey piece for Classical guitar. It is always introduced as a didactic piece for beginner-intermediate CG students and very few guitarists produce an even tremolo, ever, and the reasons are always mechanical/physical. However, many players now use an p-i-m-i approach and eliminate the "a" finger completely-the source of problems for most players. Also, there was a trick I used to cheat the ears when playing tremolo in the past: substitute the quadruplets for triplets. Nobody will know except a pro. So, "Recuerdos: on a EG? What's the point? I don't really know other than theater.
    Play live . . . Marinero

    P.S. For the record, the melody IS beautiful and Tarrega is one of my favorite composers. M
    I don’t think that’s an electric guitar

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Pretty amazing.

    I always feel there’s a space for a separate recognised instrument acoustic ‘plectrum guitar’ which has its own (mostly transcriptions of course) classical repertoire in the same way as mandolin etc.

    Rob would know more about it I’m sure.

    This kind of used to exist in the UK music exam system ‘Plectrum Guitar’ up to Grade 8. That’s been abolished just recently (presumably about three people ever took it) and replaced with a as far as I can see completely superfluous generic pop/rock focussed Acoustic guitar exam and I think it’s a shame.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Aw, pshaw. Nothing I couldn't play if I had a looper. And a cathedral setting on my digital reverb. And maybe a Tonewood amp on the back of my '44 L7. And about twenty years of uncharacteristically diligent work...

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Aw, pshaw. Nothing I couldn't play if I had a looper. And a cathedral setting on my digital reverb. And maybe a Tonewood amp. And about twenty years of uncharacteristically diligent work...
    You haven’t got the hang of this JGO thing at all have you?

    What you do is you dismiss some monumental achievement by a fantastically skilled musican while making sure you never ever post anything of your own.

    in this way, you win at music.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I don’t think that’s an electric guitar

    Hi, C,
    This is all I could find.
    Play live . . . Marinero


    About - fabiomittino.com

    https://fabiomittino.com › about











  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Didn’t Johnny Smith play some of the classical repertoire with a plectrum? I’m not a JS expert but I remember seeing that somewhere.

    Someone gave me an old book once of plectrum guitar arrangements of classical pieces, I don’t know if I’ve still got it.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Also there is one compiled by William Leavitt

    https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Stu.../dp/0634013394

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Nobody is dissing him for trying, but what’s the point? The composer intended it for fingerstyle, and it actually works. (Who knew?)

    He could always just play some surfer guitar, which works better on steel strings. Bodhisattva.


    That’s some good tremolo for a plectrist.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Nobody is dissing him for trying, but what’s the point? The composer intended it for fingerstyle, and it actually works. (Who knew?)

    Bebop was played on sax and piano back in the 40s, where it actually works brilliantly (who knew?) ... What is the point of playing it on the inferior guitar?

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Bebop was played on sax and piano back in the 40s, where it actually works brilliantly (who knew?) ... What is the point of playing it on the inferior guitar?
    I see you checked your jazz history at the door. You're at a disadvantage of course, given that it's American.

    You see, I grew up in the same town as Charlie Christian. I was thinking about him today. He was preceded by Eddie Lang and Django of course - but - once the world heard that thing plugged in - that was it. That was it for Benny too, although it took a little while.

    I was in a concert hall in OKC when Barney Kessel (with Herb Ellis and Charlie Byrd) said that every electric guitarist alive owed Charlie Christian - whether they knew it or not. Of course Barney was right. Charlie changed the world before Bebop. And - he was at Minton's playing all night long.

    Ever heard of "Swing To Bop"?

    Have you checked electric guitar sales as compared to piano and sax? Chaaaaaaaarlie, lol.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Right …. Electric guitar sales … That explains it all

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    This explains it better, bruh.


  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Imo Django was already playing bebop in the 30s. His playing isn't quite as linear as pure bebop players like Parker and Powell, but rhythmically I think it's pretty much bebop.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Right …. Electric guitar sales … That explains it all
    The electric guitar is the reason you’re here. It’s the reason we’re here.

    You’re not fooling anyone.