Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Nah, this weak "ethic" has been proposed before, by a very sensitive individual. It's not a practical adult response.

The thing is, in the USA - we reserve the right to publicly criticize;
    1. any political or government speech/philosophy that is expressed,
    2. any religious point of view,
    3. any book, article, tweet, post, speech that we may read or hear,
    4. any movie or TV show that we may watch,
    5. any play that we may attend,
    6. any sporting event that we may witness,
    7. any musical performance that we may attend or hear.

We see how many, many countries on earth squelch this speech, yet we remain undettered. When people start to tell us that we can't speak freely, we remember our founding and how it was earned.

Here's the real ethic, the only natural ethic, the only ethic that works:
    If any person/persons perform or express themselves in the public square - especially for pay or promotion - then they need to be prepared to discover that they and/or their presentations are not necessarily loved and accepted by all. If that notion is too traumatic for them to accept, then they need to stay home - for their own mental and physical well being.

Looks like you just can't help your narcissistic "specialness". Why shouldn't an artist be allowed to defend his/her innovations or interpretations? That last line of yours is nothing but an empty threat, and you're getting really boring.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Nah, this weak "ethic" has been proposed before, by a very sensitive individual. It's not a practical adult response.

The thing is, in the USA - we reserve the right to publicly criticize;
    1. any political or government speech/philosophy that is expressed,
    2. any religious point of view,
    3. any book, article, tweet, post, speech that we may read or hear,
    4. any movie or TV show that we may watch,
    5. any play that we may attend,
    6. any sporting event that we may witness,
    7. any musical performance that we may attend or hear.

We see how many, many countries on earth squelch this speech, yet we remain undettered. When people start to tell us that we can't speak freely, we remember our founding and how it was earned.

Here's the real ethic, the only natural ethic, the only ethic that works:
    If any person/persons perform or express themselves in the public square - especially for pay or promotion - then they need to be prepared to discover that they and/or their presentations are not necessarily loved and accepted by all. If that notion is too traumatic for them to accept, then they need to stay home - for their own mental and physical well being.

BINGO!

Fish takes the bait.

User Info Menu

Yep, luv youse guys too.

I’m just happy that I introduced Jim, Jeff and perhaps others to David Russell and the Assad Brothers, and that makes me feel good.

I would further say that when the top concertizing classical guitarists come through your town or city - go see them! I have found that friends and family alike have always thoroughly enjoyed the evening whether they loved pop, prog rock or whatever. None of them knew the performers or the music but appreciated great music and performances. Given that everybody here is a music and guitar lover in particular, I’m even more confident that you’d enjoy it.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    At least C.Miller shares a lot with the community and thru his youtube channel ... and he is a great player too ... Have you heard him play? ... He actually is quite good and plays in public .. Most often seen with the Hot Club of Jupiter, but I actually am quite fond of the Balagan Cafe Band
    For the record, Lobo,
    I like Christian. He is a serious person, a certified musician, and, at times, has a good sense of humor/wit--albeit, British. His posts, musical and intellectual, reflect his experience/relationship/vision to JGF. I have watched several of his videos and have "liked" some of them. He is a "working musician" and that has great merit ,for me, since it places him in a different category that many on this forum and reflects my own life until Covid.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I think my sense of humour is rather appalling, but it keeps me amused if no-one else.

User Info Menu

Isn't this thread just the PG thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Isn't this thread just the PG thread?

Sure it is .. and any other JG.be thread (one of my favorites is the Eleonara Strino one). Our creedo is "All good music has already been written and performed. What you're showing us here is shite and pales to what came before"
    Last edited by Lobomov; 10-02-2021 at 06:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Sure it is .. and any other JG.be thread (one of my favorites is the Eleonara Strino one). Our creedo is "All good music has already been written and performed. What you're showing us here is shite and pales to what came before"
    Hi, Lobo,
    I think you're finally experiencing a spiritual epiphany . . . savor the moment!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, Lobo,
    I think you're finally experiencing a spiritual epiphany . . . savor the moment!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Nah ... i might just as well kill myself if I ever stop embraching that the world moves forward

But then again I still have (on average) 40 years of life ahead of me, so there is that too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Nah ... i might just as well kill myself if I ever stop embraching that the world moves forward

But then again I still have (on average) 40 years of life ahead of me, so there is that too
    Hi, Lobo,
    You are a classic idealist and I hope you have, at least, 40 years of life left! For me, I live one day at a time.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    Better go practice.