The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 99 of 99

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Damn. With a PICK.

I picked up a guitar to figure out how you'd go about doing that with a pick....Oh, right!

While I appreciate the dedication that went into it, the original finger-tremolo execution which leaves your thumb free to pick the bass notes sounds a lot fuller. And it's probably a lot easier to learn!

Anyway, a jazzer here gives you the lowdown, if you're so inclined:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By the way, after reading through this thread, I think there should be a forum rule that obliges/obligates you to post your own stuff after dissing another member's playing. That would be fair and gentlemanly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    By the way, after reading through this thread, I think there should be a forum rule that obliges/obligates you to post your own stuff after dissing another member's playing. That would be fair and gentlemanly.
    the performer in the OP is not a member.
    criticism isn’t disrespecting
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve posted my playing.

You’re not a fan of free speech are you?

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
    and the deer and the antelope play,
    where never is heard a discouraging word,
    and the skies are not cloudy all day

User Info Menu

Yeah, it’s an interesting one. Maybe that could lower the amount of vitriol, although the same people that are publicly slamming everything and everybody, also tend to not be very reflective of their own playing, or perhaps are doing it to avoid addressing their own shortcomings. It seems for some, it’s easier to see faults within others. TBH, I wonder how people have the time to be engaged with all this bashing when there are so many things to work on to improve ourselves.

TBF I suppose it could be seen as good theatre. I’ve largely ignored it as real life is busy enough between job, gigs, family and PD. It’s become more acute recently as I’m in limbo atm waiting for a flight home and between jobs, so I’ve been engaging with the virtual jam. I’ve found it very therapeutic although I’ve had to bite my lip a few times as even with this seemingly simple act of posting an attempt playing on a tune, threads end up with 10% playing and 90% waffle, verbiage or self aggrandizement. LOL.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar

You’re not a fan of free speech are you?
    Donplaysguitar,

Your short dynamic range runs from frustration to ill will to outright malice.

Way to go.
    Last edited by rabbit; 09-29-2021 at 03:57 AM.

User Info Menu

It would appear that the posts in question have disappeared.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    No offense Jonah ... I like and respect you a lot .. but I just severly disagree.

Just am not a fan of cultural gatekeeping ... If a type of art makes people happy then let them enjoy it .. well at least if it is not political in nature

Nothing good ever came of cultiral gate keeping ... Isnt it stuff like that which gets you sent to Siberia?

Anyways ... Cheers! Your daily dose of "go practice."
    I did not take it as an offence at all...

As for cultural gate keeping, I do not think it is relative here. As for Siberia (at least today) it is also wrong)

You see I try to be reasonable... if I see an aspiring amateur or a student who does its best but maybe misunderstand something I would never 'boo' it...
    And I usually do not show up in the net just to say 'it's bad'

In most cases I pass by...

But is it right?

In 18th century one would have had an egg arrived at his had in that and today we all applaud anyway.
    In 40s in jazz clubs a player that was not considered good could have been litteraly thrown off the stage by someone from the audience.
    It was natural context of musical culture - both audience and players beloged to it.

Today we live in a bot artificial context.. it is 'culture by appointment' - 'we should behave' whether we understand what is going on or not...

But why should we tolerate when you see basic illiterancy, ignorance presented as highest competence and authoirity?
    If I clearly understand that this conductor ruined the performance of potentially good musicians I why cannot I 'boo' him? I payed for the tickets, he earns big money. Why cannot I say it's wrong?

And after all why cannot a person say that he tinks something is wrong at all? Is it a srime? Does he say taht someone should be punished? No.
    Of course negative comment is always negative intereference. It is clear that better to avoid.

As a musician I partly agree that wherever possible it is better just do it the way you think it proper but it is impossible to be on the level of skills to do everything.
    I can judge movies though I cannot make it. I can say that this singer is not good though I cannot sing professionally.

it is obvious that it is not always out of context.

Negative criticism is also needed... nothing wrong in saying something does not seem correct, even some irony or sarcasm can be allowed in my opinion. Because reasonable educated people are ready to accept and answer it properly. They understand that it is not a personal attack, they do not look at credentials but at what a person says.

we live in the world where positive criticism is also absolutely devalued.
    Everything is equally great. We live in the world of many nice options but with no really powerful cultural mainstream.

You mentioned that people take pleasure in things and then it is ok... sure I am not against it.

Brodsky said: tolerance and intolerance are two hands of the same body.
    I respect and tolerate other people's views bit I have my values and I have the right to protect them.

User Info Menu

I loathe Recuerdos de la Alhambra with every fibre of my being.

User Info Menu

Indeed it is .. and that has since evolved even further!

Superior in every way. I shall smash my Gibson into tiny flinders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I loathe Recuerdos de la Alhambra with every fibre of my being.
    I like it despite myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Donplaysguitar,

Your short dynamic range runs from frustration to ill will to outright malice.

Way to go.
    Nah, this weak "ethic" has been proposed before, by a very sensitive individual. It's not a practical adult response.

The thing is, in the USA - we reserve the right to publicly criticize;
    1. any political or government speech/philosophy that is expressed,
    2. any religious point of view,
    3. any book, article, tweet, post, speech that we may read or hear,
    4. any movie or TV show that we may watch,
    5. any play that we may attend,
    6. any sporting event that we may witness,
    7. any musical performance that we may attend or hear.

We see how many, many countries on earth squelch this speech, yet we remain undettered. When people start to tell us that we can't speak freely, we remember our founding and how it was earned.

Here's the real ethic, the only natural ethic, the only ethic that works:
    If any person/persons perform or express themselves in the public square - especially for pay or promotion - then they need to be prepared to discover that they and/or their presentations are not necessarily loved and accepted by all. If that notion is too traumatic for them to accept, then they need to stay home - for their own mental and physical well being.

User Info Menu

Is he a classical player?

Anyway, not too much hand tension here:

Wow, just WOW! I don't don't know this player or this piece, but that was just outstanding and fun. Great way to start the day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Wow, just WOW! I don't don't know this player or this piece, but that was just outstanding and fun. Great way to start the day!
    Agreed. I starte smiling widely about 10 seconds in, and it grew even wider the whole way through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    First of all, that is the one and only maestro David Russell. I've seen him 5 times. He's not getting any younger - see him if you can!

Second, he is playing a piece by Sergio Assad of the Assad brothers. Still active duo. I've seen them multiple times as well. They both play of course, and Sergio is the stronger composeer while Odair is probably the stronger player by a little bit. I'll add some links shortly.

David Russell:

Home

This one is a must. 2005 Grammy award finest classical performance (any instrument - something like that):
    Sorry! Something went wrong!

Sorry! Something went wrong!

Assad brothers:

events | Assad Brothers

Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 09-29-2021 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

That's one opinion.

The thing is, it isn't HIS piece. It was composed on and for the classical guitar by Francisco Tarrega over a century ago, whether one likes or appreciates that or not. It is to be played a certain way, and as the composer intended.

So, the guy in the OP was having fun, challenging himself, being fresh with old material? etc. He probably counted on many uneducated contemporary fans being ignorant of history. This effect occurs in all of the major arts today. The standards are not contemporary and are not watered down. We are not required to go along with it. We are not required to "round up" for him.

So, it's a free country. If one likes electric Christmas carols or electric Bach that's OK, as long as they understand they are appreciating a substitute - NOT the real thing.

If one wants to create something original, that's much better. This is like a cover band playing a classic tune - comparisons to the original are INEVITABLE. Can't take the heat? Make your OWN history. Write and play something original.
    Ridiculous. But your opinion, which is yours. Not based fact, just a knee-jerk reaction against progress and artistic freedom.

User Info Menu

Nah, this weak "ethic" has been proposed before, by a very sensitive individual. It's not a practical adult response.

We see how many, many countries on earth squelch this speech, yet we remain undettered. When people start to tell us that we can't speak freely, we remember our founding and how it was earned.

If any person/persons perform or express themselves in the public square - especially for pay or promotion - then they need to be prepared to discover that they and/or their presentations are not necessarily loved and accepted by all. If that notion is too traumatic for them to accept, then they need to stay home - for their own mental and physical well being.

Looks like you just can't help your narcissistic "specialness". Why shouldn't an artist be allowed to defend his/her innovations or interpretations? That last line of yours is nothing but an empty threat, and you're getting really boring.

User Info Menu

BINGO!

Fish takes the bait.

User Info Menu

Yep, luv youse guys too.

I’m just happy that I introduced Jim, Jeff and perhaps others to David Russell and the Assad Brothers, and that makes me feel good.

I would further say that when the top concertizing classical guitarists come through your town or city - go see them! I have found that friends and family alike have always thoroughly enjoyed the evening whether they loved pop, prog rock or whatever. None of them knew the performers or the music but appreciated great music and performances. Given that everybody here is a music and guitar lover in particular, I’m even more confident that you’d enjoy it.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

At least C.Miller shares a lot with the community and thru his youtube channel ... and he is a great player too ... Have you heard him play? ... He actually is quite good and plays in public .. Most often seen with the Hot Club of Jupiter, but I actually am quite fond of the Balagan Cafe Band
    For the record, Lobo,
    I like Christian. He is a serious person, a certified musician, and, at times, has a good sense of humor/wit--albeit, British. His posts, musical and intellectual, reflect his experience/relationship/vision to JGF. I have watched several of his videos and have "liked" some of them. He is a "working musician" and that has great merit ,for me, since it places him in a different category that many on this forum and reflects my own life until Covid.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I think my sense of humour is rather appalling, but it keeps me amused if no-one else.

User Info Menu

Isn't this thread just the PG thread?

User Info Menu

Sure it is .. and any other JG.be thread (one of my favorites is the Eleonara Strino one). Our creedo is "All good music has already been written and performed. What you're showing us here is shite and pales to what came before"
    Hi, Lobo,
    I think you're finally experiencing a spiritual epiphany . . . savor the moment!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Nah ... i might just as well kill myself if I ever stop embraching that the world moves forward

But then again I still have (on average) 40 years of life ahead of me, so there is that too
    Hi, Lobo,
    You are a classic idealist and I hope you have, at least, 40 years of life left! For me, I live one day at a time.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Sure it is .. and any other JG.be thread (one of my favorites is the Eleonara Strino one). Our creedo is "All good music has already been written and performed. What you're showing us here is shite and pales to what came before"
    Better go practice.