User Info Menu

When playing a run of octaves (like the eminent Wes Montgomery, say) it sounds like he's strumming the octave as opposed to plucking the octave. Any tips on this?

Usually when I play octaves I just pluck them with my index or middle and thumb, but I want that richer sound. Should I mute with a separate finger? For example, if I have my index on the low E and my ring finger on the G, Ive been muting the B with my index finger. However if I try to strum this I still hear the B string- the sound is muted but present. If I reach over with my middle finger to mute the B it mutes fully, but this is kind of uncomfortable/awkward to do.

Is there a better way?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This web site has an ebook on the styles of Wes Montgomery:

Spring Sale 2021 - Jazz Guitar eBook Bundles

Why not learn from the source? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BiscoDrew
    When playing a run of octaves (like the eminent Wes Montgomery, say) it sounds like he's strumming the octave as opposed to plucking the octave. Any tips on this?

Usually when I play octaves I just pluck them with my index or middle and thumb, but I want that richer sound. Should I mute with a separate finger? For example, if I have my index on the low E and my ring finger on the G, Ive been muting the B with my index finger. However if I try to strum this I still hear the B string- the sound is muted but present. If I reach over with my middle finger to mute the B it mutes fully, but this is kind of uncomfortable/awkward to do.

Is there a better way?

User Info Menu

^^^ Many Thanks

User Info Menu

The sound is from his thumb technique and string sets. (6-4, 5-3, 4-2, 3-1).

If you want to emulate that, well, emulate it.

You can also play octaves with a pick. Plectrists do, you know.

In either case, you mute the middle string with the index finger of the left hand.