The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I've been checking out some country, western swing and steel guitar stuff recently. I got to wondering if anyone uses a B bender for jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emkc
    I've been checking out some country, western swing and steel guitar stuff recently. I got to wondering if anyone uses a B bender for jazz.
    I haven't heard it...but I'd like to.

User Info Menu

I would love to try one of those out. I saw Charlie Sexton playing with Elvis Costello last weekend, and he used his B-bender on a couple of songs. Sounded just like a steel guitar. Great player.

I'm sure you know this, but the B-bender was invented by Gene Parsons, the drummer for the Byrds back in '68. He worked with Clarence White to perfect it. The original B-bender that they came up with is now owned by Marty Stuart.

I had a dobro guitar with 2 string benders made by Bigsby that had a little lever that was operated by your palm. Sounded good in theory for hitting those minor chords, but I never got the hang of it. In fact I never got the hang of the lap dobro, and sold it eventually. Learning to play something like that takes up too much time and mental capacity one could use for playing/learning jazz.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Marty Stuart is how I came across it originally.
    There's an interesting video on "Ask Zac" of Joe Glaser installing one of his versions. It is convertible--can be used on the B or G string. It is less invasive requiring only a couple of routs, one under the neck plate, and one under the bridge. He also has to drill a 1/2" hole all the way through the body from tail to neck pocket. His boring rig for that is pretty cool.
    The actuator is part of the neck plate, rather than connected to the original strap button.
    He has to machine a couple of small slots into the bridge.

Here is an interview with him. Fascinating guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emkc

User Info Menu

I've had a hipshot b-bender on my Tele for about 30 years. I got an instructional video By Will Ray of the Hellacasters to get started with it. Really helps to get those steel guitar type licks if you're into Country pickin'.

The hipshot is the cheapest way to try it with minimal alteration of your guitar. I had to drill holes in the bridge for the B and low E strings to go thru. No other mods were needed.

User Info Menu

Why not? Never seen one in the flesh to be honest. To see one AND hear it again playing Jazz I suspect will be a pretty remote chance but no doubt someone could do it effectively.

User Info Menu

Only thing I've ever heard that could be called "jazzy", sounds like he's using the bender in the 2nd half (altho he's using the Glaser G bender):

User Info Menu

Revisiting an old thread.
    I try not to get reeled in on YouTube clickbait, but I noticed the acoustic B-bender in the thumbnail and decided to check it out.
    Not jazz, but interesting (I think) nonetheless. Outside the usual country-flavored approach.

Advance to 9:57 in the video.

User Info Menu

I use a Me-Bender

User Info Menu

When it come to the bender thing, I would rather just play with my fingers. As someone who has been asked to cover many grounds, I have a handful of pedal steel bends for the needed occasion. There is a great book I own. It is a lot of work.

I do not remember trying any of my steel licks over jazz stuff. I guess it just never came to mind to try. I did see Charlie Hunter with a steel player once. I also have the CD. Maybe I tried it in those days (90s), and never really took to it. I think maybe because in Jazz there are chords and keys moving by fairly fast and it would take foresight to place the lick. A lot of the licks are moving into chords and typically have an sus type sound. Which would probably make it tricky for me. There is the minor into major third thing also happening. That might be more useful.

Maybe I am not hip enough or just thought it would take too much work for a little pay off. (That would be a personal stylistic decision).

Also I am not a lick player. I tend to learn some licks and the play them enough to make them an area of sound. I have very few licks that I remember what they started as. I know at one point they were a set pattern of notes… now they are just groups of possibilities.