The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello fep, I was reading through some older posts on the Joe Elliot study group. You mentioned not adhering to strict alternate picking as you were working on a new style of picking. Please could you elaborate on this method and say if you have stuck with it and the advantages of it if any. Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Luddite,

I was working on the "Benson Picking Technique" at the time. There is a monumental thread regarding that technique here: Benson Picking technique on Gibson L5 Wesmo

That technique involves "economy" picking, thus it is not strictly alternating picking.

I still use it once in a while, but most of the time I use a more standard technique. I like to have hybrid picking as part of what I do and the Benson picking grip is at a disadvantage for that.

User Info Menu

I'd like to revisit that book but apply it to solo (chord melody) guitar.

I'm working on getting a 2 1/2 hour set list together so the book will have to wait for the moment.

Hello Liarspoker, I have that book too. Please could you talk about how you would apply the elliot book to chord melody style as I thought the book focused on single line soloing ? Thanks

Thank you for your reply fep. Would you recommend sticking to strict alternate picking when working through that method as Elliot suggests quite insistently in the book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite
    Thank you for your reply fep. Would you recommend sticking to strict alternate picking when working through that method as Elliot suggests quite insistently in the book.
    I believe the reason for strict alternating picking was that it's easier to keep the rhythm of the eighth notes that way. If you don't have a problem keeping the rhythm of the eighth notes it's not necessary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite
    Hello Liarspoker, I have that book too. Please could you talk about how you would apply the elliot book to chord melody style as I thought the book focused on single line soloing ? Thanks
    I'd try and use the concepts when trying to improvise while playing chord melody guitar or maybe use the concepts to write a few intros or tags etc