The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

• Play the notes of the ‘anything’ as hard as humanly possible. (This is key.) (And that’s it!)

Okay, does that mean play the notes as hard as humanly possible with A) the FRETTING hand, or B) with the PICKING hand, or C) with BOTH hands?

User Info Menu

"Long story short, out of curiosity, I tried to play them fast and I ended up playing them at a hyper-blazing 200 bpm-ish type of speed. Yes, this is an authentic true story. No embellishments."

The bpm speed specification is standardized for playing of eighth notes.
    Eighths at 200bpm is less than 7 notes per second; not "hyper-blazing".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    • Play the notes of the ‘anything’ as hard as humanly possible. (This is key.) (And that’s it!)

Okay, does that mean play the notes as hard as humanly possible with A) the FRETTING hand, or B) with the PICKING hand, or C) with BOTH hands?
    What I mean is that you pluck the strings with your pick as hard as possible. As if you’re mad at the strings, while still avoiding unwanted strings. When you do this, it creates a “tingy” sound on the strings. And yes, you pick hard with your picking hand. Putting emphasis on the picking movement.

When you do this, it creates some kind of a resistance, that overtime when you finally loosen up, you will be playing fast. But results may vary.

I bought in to this method, because over the years most of the speed building stuff out there didn’t work for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    What I mean is that you pluck the strings with your pick as hard as possible. As if you’re mad at the strings, while still avoiding unwanted strings. When you do this, it creates a “tingy” sound on the strings. And yes, you pick hard with your picking hand. Putting emphasis on the picking movement.

When you do this, it creates some kind of a resistance, that overtime when you finally loosen up, you will be playing fast. But results may vary.

I bought in to this method, because over the years most of the speed building stuff out there didn’t work for me.
    I think there is some truth to this. My first six years teaching myself to play was on a solid body guitar, but I did not have an amp. I did not pick as hard as possible, but pretty hard, enough to hear it over the records I was listening to. That, and having to listen hard to hear what I was playing provided the foundation for how I play today - cleanly even when very fast, with big ears.

User Info Menu

Well, that was an irrelevant waste of time.

User Info Menu

Que?? Last time I checked I thought this was a Jazz Guitar site. Any obsession with "hyper blazing" surely belongs on Metal guitar forums? Playing at brisk tempos for a Jazz player is about thinking fast, hearing fast and reacting fast (perhaps Martino's more important secret?). Learn to do that and the picking speed (which is by far the easiest technical aspect) will follow naturally. Reciting the alphabet at record speed does not make you the next Shakespeare.

Well, those are my thoughts, feel free to disagree...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Well, that was an irrelevant waste of time.
    If you liked that you'll love, Jason Sioco Guitar Soloing Story (Part 2) - bit of international political punditry thrown in as well.
    Jason Sioco Guitar Soloing Story (Part 2) – Jason Sioco Blogs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It depends on which hand and wrist you want to develop the pain of repetitive misuse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Que?? Last time I checked I thought this was a Jazz Guitar site. Any obsession with "hyper blazing" surely belongs on Metal guitar forums? Playing at brisk tempos for a Jazz player is about thinking fast, hearing fast and reacting fast (perhaps Martino's more important secret?). Learn to do that and the picking speed (which is by far the easiest technical aspect) will follow naturally. Reciting the alphabet at record speed does not make you the next Shakespeare.

Well, those are my thoughts, feel free to disagree...
    Two issues with that:

1. Jazz music has made frequent use of virtuosic speed for a very long time, and on practically every instrument.

2. Picking fast is NOT easy, and that’s why players who do it well really stand out. Most players have to resort to slurring for their faster playing. (“Hammer-ons and pull-offs”). Slurring can sound really good of course, but…