The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

This might be a tad controversial to all you owners of jazz boxes Erconomy of Gibson and Similar Guitars

Ergonomy of Gibson and similar guitars

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good points; the guitar has never been particularly ergonomic until the last few years anyway. However, resting on the bridge is an effective workaround to the picking problem, if one is really wanting to play that fast.

User Info Menu

"We have the classic problem of playing tremolo or other fast alternate picking with precision on lower (thicker) strings"

Do we, now?

User Info Menu

That's just some guys opinion.

User Info Menu

This explains why guitarists playing Gibsons just never seem to be able to play fast. Got it.

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    When I play in the lower register of my Gibson ES125TC(usually Low E), I use the top of my P90 pickup cover as a fulcrum and never need to touch the guitar body. It works for both plectrum(m/a or a) and fingerstyle playing(thumb). I hope this helps.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

When playing in a surfer band, play a Fender.

Check.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    "We have the classic problem of playing tremolo or other fast alternate picking with precision on lower (thicker) strings"

Do we, now?
    No, we don't. I should never have posted this actually, but I can't seem to remove it. Andy Wood plants the heel of his palm pretty firmly on the guitar body when playing lower strings, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not necessary at all. It's a matter of finding the right posture of the hand in order to achieve a predictable motion. What seems to work well for me is to fully relax the hand so that it drops a bit from the wrist by its own weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Good points; the guitar has never been particularly ergonomic until the last few years anyway. However, resting on the bridge is an effective workaround to the picking problem, if one is really wanting to play that fast.
    Actually you don't need a lot of support, it’s more of a matter of finding the right posture of the hand in order to achieve a predictable motion. What seems to work well for me is to fully relax the hand so that it drops a bit from the wrist by its own weight. I should never have posted this, but I'm unable to remove it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That's just some guys opinion.
    It's more like Andy Wood's opinion. I should never have made this post, really. See my replies to other comments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    When playing in a surfer band, play a Fender.

Check.
    You can get good jazz tones out of a Fender, though. Joe Pass used a Jaguar for some time.

I always found it more difficult to play fast on a Fender,seems like string tension is tighter even with the same gauge strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I always found it more difficult to play fast on a Fender,seems like string tension is tighter even with the same gauge strings.
    Yup, that's true, due to the longer scale length of 25,5" (usually).