The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Do any of you know what the tune is for for the chords on lesson 4A?
    I think it's "All The Things You Are."

-Travis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster
    I think it's "All The Things You Are."

-Travis
    Thanks Travis. Now I see it.

It took 25 weeks to study this method. Starting first video from March up to September, 25 videos placed in playlist on youtube. I could go up to straight 132 bpm triplets, that was my best. Maybe, later, try to go further. This is an amazing strategy book for developing improvisation. I can feel that I can do more than in the beginning, for sure. Anyway, I will try other directions and goals to do from now on.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Mauricio, great accomplishment and dedication. You're an inspiration to me as I'm good at starting books but not so good at finishing them.

If you're interested, I can recommend Jazz Improvisation for Guitar - A Meloduc Approach by Garrison Fewell. It is good material and should be easier to get thru than SupeChops.

Great Frank, sounds like an interesting book, I'll check it out. Here's an approach about How Insensitive, following HR idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAURICIO SOUZA
    Great Frank, sounds like an interesting book, I'll check it out. Here's an approach about How Insensitive, following HR idea.
    Mauricio, sounds great, love that tune.

User Info Menu

I just finished Week 11 today. This boot camp approach to developing technique and harmonic knowledge across the fretboard has been really beneficial for me. As I mentioned earlier, I also went through HRSC back in January with the group that was doing it then. I went back today and looked at my practice record from that previous run-through, and back then I was only able to make it through the whole 10 minutes at 106 bpm for triplets for week 11. Obviously I could play faster, but I couldn't go a whole 10 minute run-through at that tempo without flubs, mistakes, etc - so 106 was my top speed by the end of week 11 the last time I did the HRSC program. Today, I easily managed 120 bpm triplets for week 11 - so I'm definitely noticing an improvement, both in speed and stamina. Also, given that I'm not struggling as much to reach and maintain tempos, I'm free to explore some interesting harmonic ideas with a bit more facility; I've come up with 3 or 4 licks that are, in a sense, my own ideas and concepts, and they are starting to creep into my actual improvising - so that's nice.

At this point, I don't see ever giving up on SuperChops - I think I'll just incorporate it into my daily practice routine for the foreseeable future. There's a direct bi-conditional relationship between regimented daily practice and actually improving as a musician, and I'm no longer content to simply maintain my current level of musicianship - I want to continually improve until the inevitability of age begins to make that an impossibility.

-Travis

User Info Menu

Lesson 4A is what I did this last week. This is a struggle for me especially 10 minutes without losing focus and screwing up and more especially the tempos are passing me by. So I'm just going to continue at tempos that make sense for me. Maybe next go-around I'll be able to hang longer with the suggested tempos.

Last edited by fep; 09-20-2021 at 07:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey, everyone. I completed the Super Chops program last time around as lead by Jimmy Blue Note. I've been contemplating jumping back into Super Chops again. I liked having a regimented practice routine that wasn't too demanding of my time. I'm not sure if I'll do the whole course again. Certainly that would be beneficial. Besides, you guys are way ahead of me. Of course, we can always apply Super Chops to any tune we happen to be working on. I did find last time that I craved playing different tunes during the many weeks of the course. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in. Let me know your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Thought I'd chime in even though I'm super late to the game. I spent a bunch of time doing Super Chops today and this evening. As I had mentioned, I faithfully completed the course last time with Jimmy Blue Note. Delving back into Super Chops today reminded me of the things I really liked about the program, and the things I didn't enjoy quite so much. I appreciate having a practice regimen with something specific to do. But as I ramped up the bpm this evening, I was reminded that doing Super Chops is like hitting the gym. I certainly understand the benefits of that, but for me anyway, there's a lack of musicality at times that is a bit frustrating and tiresome. Especially when I'm trying to play steady triplets over the form. It becomes mechanical and almost automated sounding. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the course. I went through all 20 weeks last time. I think I'll take aspects of Super Chops that work for me and incorporate it in my practice routine, but I'm not going to do the whole program again. Jimmy Blue Note started a 3 week immersion group in the Improvisation section. I've been in and out of that program. Perhaps I'll jump back in while utilizing some Super Chops at the same time. Anyway, I applaud all of you for continuing on with Super Chops. I'm glad I completed the course last time. I got a lot out of it, but sadly, I didn't end up with super chops.