Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Watching a Ella Fitzgerald special on PBS (Public TV), But Not For Me has I think, Herb Ellis on guitar over Ella’s right shoulder. Herb or whoever strums with his thumb and then plectrums some arpeggios. Strangely this is not a combination I’ve ever thought of.



    Changing midstream is viable plan.
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 06-20-2021 at 09:12 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2
    Herb was one of the real greats. I saw him play a solo gig in a tiny venue back in the early 80's and it was a real revelation for me too. For many years he was a mainstay in Oscar Peterson's trio, drumless and a great driving energy.
    I really do like him because he was solidly in that tradition but he had his own take on things. Your observation about using the resources available to you, thumb, pick, muting, inventing the techniques that allow you to do things that you couldn't before... a good reminder that yes, you can learn how to play from studying what has been done, but the more you play, the better you're in a position to do it your own way.
    Check out this footage, from when Norman Granz used to put on concerts that showcased the artists that worked with him and his Pablo label.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Herb was one of the real greats. I saw him play a solo gig in a tiny venue back in the early 80's and it was a real revelation for me too. For many years he was a mainstay in Oscar Peterson's trio, drumless and a great driving energy.
    I really do like him because he was solidly in that tradition but he had his own take on things. Your observation about using the resources available to you, thumb, pick, muting, inventing the techniques that allow you to do things that you couldn't before... a good reminder that yes, you can learn how to play from studying what has been done, but the more you play, the better you're in a position to do it your own way.
    Check out this footage, from when Norman Granz used to put on concerts that showcased the artists that worked with him and his Pablo label.
    Just... sublime!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Still amazed that Oscar's hyperactive left hand was ever able to blend with a guitarist.

  6. #5
    The " Jamaican Oscar Peterson" Monty Alexander with Ernest Ranglin Sly and Robbie Live At The Blue Note !!!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by timmer
    Still amazed that Oscar's hyperactive left hand was ever able to blend with a guitarist.
    Well they had a group dynamic that was unlike any other trio. Herb, and sometimes later on, Joe Pass, played a more "traditional rhythm guitar" role where they didn't so much comment on or complement on Oscar's playing, but kept things interesting rhythmically.
    I think Oscar was quite strong enough as a solo piano player and the trio was very much an extension of him. As a sideman, you found his groove and you used all your musicality to fit to that.
    A bass player I know was called on to fill in at a festival at the last moment. "You know my book?" Oscar asks over the phone. Standards with a solid time feel. "Yeah, I know it" he answered.
    He flew up to the gig, and there was no sound check. No set list. There was a body of tunes, quite extensive, that Oscar would give somewhat elaborate introductions to and then again sometimes he'd launch into a tune with no hint of what piece was being played and apparently no hint as to what key he was hitting it in. Sometimes it'd take a few beats for the bass to find the piece, sometimes a bar to find the pocket. After the set was over Oscar passed the bassist on the way off the stage. "I thought you said you knew my book."
    That was Oscar's world.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Combining names... there’s a Herb Ellis disc out there called ‘Soft and Mellow’ with Monte Alexander... what a tasteful combination they are!

    Friend and I were at the Blue Note in the City, gonna say 89ish with Ray Brown. Watching them click on person, wow, seemed like there was some serious telepathy going on. All three were fabulous. (That became the 3 CD Live at the Blue Note.)

  9. #8
    You sure cant go wrong with Talent at that level!!! Monty with Ray Brown and Herb Ellis WoW !!!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Oscars piano jabs, it’s velvet dynamite.
    Monte is fine velvet, if velvet could be ethereal.
    I love how can approach a chord making it seem like he’s floating into it.

    IMHO, YMMV, WDIK (what do I know)

  11. #10
    I think you will like this. My favorite instrumental version for sure. Alan Pasqua W Lineman

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Watching a Ella Fitzgerald special on PBS (Public TV), But Not For Me has I think, Herb Ellis on guitar over Ella’s right shoulder.
    I watched the same special on Saturday. Herb Ellis was my guess as well. I wish there were a few more clips of her work with Joe Pass.