The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Great debates of our time.... a little experimentation I did yesterday

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also does round end have the potential to increase Thunk?

User Info Menu

I watched without my glasses and I could hear both times the first take was with the pointy point. Most every note was more clear and pronounced. With the round point you can hear the scratching before the note starts. I guess people have different angles between pick amd string but this was reason for me to stop trying the round point.
    As an aside what do people do when they have really dry fingers, the pick just slips out of my hands sometimes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use both techniques alternately because it gives me more variability sound wise. The round side sounds softer and fuller, but filigree passages come more precisely and pointedly with the pointed side. Sometimes I switch while playing. To facilitate this I drill three small holes in each pick, so I can better feel how the pick is exactly positioned.

Round end or Pointy end?-dunlop-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    I watched without my glasses and I could hear both times the first take was with the pointy point. Most every note was more clear and pronounced. With the round point you can hear the scratching before the note starts. I guess people have different angles between pick amd string but this was reason for me to stop trying the round point.
    As an aside what do people do when they have really dry fingers, the pick just slips out of my hands sometimes..

Nice! Yeah, I prefer the pointy end for playing reasons; I like the clarity and precision I feel I get with the point.

Some people like the onset transients I guess. I do think the round end sounds more Django.

User Info Menu

"Round end or Pointy end?"

This is NOT a question you want to be asking Australians [especially Queenslanders] without significant explanation/clarification!

But as a pommie ex-pat Victorian I have to say that the pointy end has both more clarity and more control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Nice! Yeah, I prefer the pointy end for playing reasons; I like the clarity and precision I feel I get with the point.

Some people like the onset transients I guess. I do think the round end sounds more Django.
    More Django! Makes me wonder what he’d do with the strings of today. In a similar fashion my favourite Jimi Hendrix guitar is from a tribute album with a big rap on it. (I like His playing on Winterland so much but the sound is horrible.) Loved that song until I misplaced the CD while I don’t normally listen to any rap.

User Info Menu

Looks like I might turn into a mid-song flipper-rounder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    More Django! Makes me wonder what he’d do with the strings of today. In a similar fashion my favourite Jimi Hendrix guitar is from a tribute album with a big rap on it. (I like His playing on Winterland so much but the sound is horrible.) Loved that song until I misplaced the CD while I don’t normally listen to any rap.

I think he’d be playing Djent on a 9-string or something

User Info Menu

Great debates of our time.... a little experimentation I did yesterday

AHA! Playing the "Why don't we just try it card!" Are there no depths to which you will not sink?

All kidding aside, you might want to try an assortment of Dunlop picks. LST, I went through my rather extensive pick collection when i got my then brand-new 2004 ES-175 to determine which one gave me the best "jazz tone" and the clear winner was a black Dunlop Jazz II, rather well worn in. Now, it has a pointy, but not that pointy end, compared to Jazz IIIs, which can be used for field surgery in a pinch. The sides of the J IIs leading to the not-that-pointy end culminate with a distinctly radiused arc at the top, so that the pick has distinctive tonal characteristics depending on how you hold it. Shapes matter.

Also, Dunlop Primetone 205s are my faves when I blunt them just a little -not as much as the 204s, just a little; and the 206s are just the thing for acoustic guitars -they look like big mutant watermelon seeds and give you plenty of gripping surface to really dig in when appropriate. You might find them perfect for GJ.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-01-2021 at 01:12 PM.

User Info Menu

On the Gypsy guitar, ok, both are fine, you did tend to whack strings more I noticed with the round end. I guess that's where 'more Django' reference coming from?

But on the electric, the round end didnt sound good at all. Not to repeat myself, but the round end-no balls in the tone.

Conclusion- the round end is for nerds who just cant leave the damn thing well alone to use as intended, or someone who's afraid of their own sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    AHA! Playing the "Why don't we just try it card!" Are there no depths to which you will not sink?
    Literally none.

I’ve tried everything pick wise. I used to play 3mm Wegens and things but then I read Bireli uses a 1.5mm Jim Dunlop made of plastic and I decided it was time to stop being a princess.

Bireli, needless to say, uses the round end

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    On the Gypsy guitar, ok, both are fine, you did tend to whack strings more I noticed with the round end. I guess that's where 'more Django' reference coming from?
    Yeah I think that’s true. Something about the round end forces me to play harder and with ‘correct’ GJ technique

User Info Menu

Conclusion- the round end is for nerds who just cant leave the damn thing well alone to use as intended, or someone who's afraid of their own sound.
    haha, even if you are half joking, surely you could not be so naive as to think that such an outrageously ill-informed conclusion would go unchallenged?
    Or have I been trolled (again!)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    haha, even if you are half joking, surely you could not be so naive as to think that such an outrageously ill-informed conclusion would go unchallenged?
    Or have I been trolled (again!)?
    You are right, I was only half joking.

User Info Menu

If God in His infinite wisdom had meant plectrums to be used this way, tell me this, why do they have a point???? Eh??

User Info Menu

If God in His infinite wisdom had meant plectrums to be used this way, tell me this, why do they have a point???? Eh??
    To clean your fingernails between sets on a gig....

User Info Menu

Amen

User Info Menu

There is no point in the round side of the pick, you cant argue with dat.

User Info Menu

There is no point in the round side of the pick, you cant argue with dat.
    That's why I'm using a pick with three rounded sides!

User Info Menu

God, in his infinite wisdom, gave Wes the best pick ever - and it was rounded!

I like the Golden Gate 3 round sided mando picks plus thumb with fingers for certain things.If available in your area people might want to give them a try and see if they produce a bigger better sound plus make fast passages easier. I ve been using them for years and never have found a reason to switch. They are similar to the 35$ Blu picks from Knoxville,Tn except if you lose one you freak out as much. People who are not aware should listen to Los Indios perform Chopin or Fantasia for an example of rubber band loop drilled into pick.

I meant if you lose one you DONT Freak out as much as a 35$ pick!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    God, in his infinite wisdom, gave Wes the best pick ever - and it was rounded!
    But the corn was pointy, eh?

User Info Menu

Yeah ... But the thing is that this thread mostly makes it about sound .. The pointy end sounds so much better .. uhhh ... I'm all for stabbing at things with the pointy part

But there is the ease of playing thing too ... Which admittedly you as the only one commented on. For you it hinders upstrokes, but eases playing in a gypsy setting with primary down strokes. I tend to favor the round end mostly for easy of playing more than for sound reasons.

But you know what Christian .. To my ears your playing was a bit more fluent or coherent sounding with the round end .. especially doing the large sweeps.
    You know similar to that that thing you have as your pet peeve, where you favor more legato playing over machine gun strict alternate picking. Sure it was not as defined, but I prefer a bit of sauce on my steak or a bit of frosting on my cake to make it sweeter.