User Info Menu

As Christian said:

[A] lot of threads obsess about what to practice.. that really varies player to player, so I find it a bit of a pointless discussion... but *how* one practices is an interesting area.
    He also shared this link to an interesting article The application of spacing and interleaving approaches in the classroom | impact.chartered.college.

Another book I see recommended a lot is The practice of practice. Haven't checked it out myself tho. Justin Guitar also has a very cool series: Effective Practice | JustinGuitar.com

How do you guys practice? Do you use practice journal? Do you use a timer (like practicing something for x minutes etc.) Do you only use it for technical exercises or fretboard knowledge as well? Did you see a lot of improvement when switching to a more "efficient & effective" based way of practicing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never used self written notes; neither method books, popular lesson plans, nor lead sheets either. I don't document things I learn and don't use any written materials to practice or perform. I just internalize everything because I practice and perform exclusively by phenomenological audiation - by ear. However, I have read music since childhood and when working up a song with a band I often mark up their lead sheets or scores.

I employ a kind of mental internal timer based on discovering things, so I practice until I have discovered a few new things. Depending on what they might be and how I am feeling, I will usually stop after having discovered and explored three or four things, typically about an hour.

I only practice songs, playing them many different ways (forms, styles, keys), exploring, testing, and generally extending my grasp of them. I never practice technical exercises or worry at all about "fret board knowledge". I want my audience to be drawn in and captivated by the beauty of the songs I perform, never having them to endure the sound of "very good at technical exercises and fret board knowledge".

"Efficient" and "effective" are two different independent things; the first describes a process and the second describes a result. Sometimes more improvement comes through less efficient processes, which means taking more time and effort (the long way, the hard way).

In my world, improvement means increasing effectiveness at pleasing the music listening audience. The way that works for me is based on discarding "efficiency" as a practicing concern and focusing strictly on how to express and convey the beauty of the songs to the audience.

User Info Menu

Firstly, at the macro level there are some foundational considerations:

• The notion of level appropriate material,
    • A formal lesson plan/curriculum and its required assignments, or
    • Doing your own thing