The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if this belongs here but its at least technique related. So recently i just got an archtop - and prior getting one i was playing on nylon string guitars for about 15 years. So I have a box full of leg supports and wouldnt you know it - not one of them fits the archtop (except the cushion one i have but meh). I don't live in an area where theres music shops or anything - so I'm gonna have to probably gamble my luck finding one online. Now it doesnt sound that hard, i mean all id have to do is measure the side of my guitar - the problem is that most of these products dont list the size - itll just say great for thinner body guitars.

anyway, i've come across

NeckUp Guitar Support GS1
    (which apparently fits archtops well?)

NeckUp Mini Narrow Body

GUITARLIFT Guitar Support, Medium Plate, Black (stringsbymail.com)
    i know these are really good but so expensive lol.

for reference my guitar is listed as 2 7/8 on the side. anyway, any suggestion is appreciated in advance.

-Raquel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Raquel,

That is a tricky problem; it does seem most of the supports out there are intended for wider classical guitars. As for other suggestions, you could try the Gitano, which is supposed to be 2.5 inches wide, or the A-Frame-Mi, which is designed to fit electric guitars. You might even be able to make the classic Dynarrete cushion work; it would be wider than you need but you're resting the guitar on it rather than attaching it. Edit: Whoops, just noticed you already had one and it wasn't working! Skip that I suppose.

However, I don't have personal experience with any of these. My preferred method, oddly, is a simple guitar strap. I've always wondered if more classical guitarists would use them if they had the strap pegs to do so. With the right strap, the angle and position is very customizable, more so than most lifts I've seen. This option is dependent on your guitar's weight, though. My ~9lb solid bodies really wear on the shoulder after a while, but lighter hollow bodies work well.

If you'd like some anecdotal reviews of lifts and things, I'd check classicalguitardelcamp.com (the classical guitar forum equivalent of this site in many ways). They're arguing about different lifts all the time over there. There might be more people who have tried some of these specific models.

User Info Menu

Hi Raquel, sorry I have nothing but empathy for your concerns. I'm not a fan of straps either but I'm excited to try the Guitarlift product. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I had not seen it when I was looking for solutions.

Best of luck finding something that works for you!

guido

User Info Menu

I use the neckup and am a huge fan of it. I think it works on most guitars.

User Info Menu

How about something like these from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Y6JJW97/...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

Amazon.ca Something Went Wrong / Quelque chose s'est mal passe
    This type worked poorly for me. Slipped constantly with the 16" instrument, was was too tall for the 17".

The extra floating piece seems to be asking for issues...

Your mileage may vary...

User Info Menu

Hi, R,
    I also play Classical Guitar. Forget the leg support. Get a footstool for under $15. It's does the same thing. I use mine for both CG and EG. No problem for an archtop. Just Google on Amazon and pick your choice. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, R,
    I also play Classical Guitar. Forget the leg support. Get a footstool for under $15. It's does the same thing. I use mine for both CG and EG. No problem for an archtop. Just Google on Amazon and pick your choice. Play live . . . Marinero
    For some folks the footstool plays havoc with their hips and back...

User Info Menu

This works on almost any instrument. A-Frame MI — Multi Instrument - A Frame Guitar Support

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    For some folks the footstool plays havoc with their hips and back...
    I have chronic back pain due to a rugby injury circa 20 years ago.

The neckup is my favourite support as mentioned earlier. I use the neckup for probably 2/3 of my time playing.

I also like to move / change positions regularly when playing; this seems to help reduce the strain on my back. For the remaining 1/3 of my time playing, I switch between footstool on left, footstool on right, crossed-leg flamenco style.

User Info Menu

I have experience with the Dynarette Cushion and the Guitarlift. I switch between both of them. Recently I started to use the Dynarette in combination with a crossed leg sitting position. For me, the Dynarette works especially well with bigger guitars, as for example a dreadnought.

While the Guitarlift is decidedly more expensive than the Dynarette and most other guitar supports, it offers very good stability (if the suction cups are clean) and flexibility. Its design allows for all kinds of extreme angles, which were fun to tryout. The design also enables you to use the guitar support with a large variety of different guitar shapes. However, if your guitar has a more pronounced arched back, you might need additional "spacers", which the company sells as well. Soundwise (acoustically and electrically), I didn't notice any significant difference. I can only recommend the Guitarlift, despite its higher price.

(Alternatively, you might be able to craft a similar product by yourself if have access to the necessary tools. It is after all mostly an acrylic glass plate with suction cups.)

User Info Menu

I have the Dynarette and two Guitarlifts. I love both of them.

I use the guitarlift on my Telly and on a Godin multiac. I do mostly solo guitar work on both guitars and for the chordal stuff I like the guitar-neck to be higher.

For my archtops I use the cushion or a strap. On those guitars I play mostly single note stuff and some comp chords, so I don't need the neck that high.

I've tried the guitarlift on my archtop too and it kind of worked. But not really well. And since I leave the lifts permanently attached to my solid bodies, I just use the cushion for the archtops.

Maybe I will try the spacers, mentioned by fvoukes. Thanks for that tip. Back then, when I ordered my lifts their website looked completely different and they just had the lifts and no accessories.

When I asked Steve Herberman about his posture, he recommended the Mundo guitar support.
    https://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/col...guitar-support

I haven't ordered it yet, so I can't tell you about it. But may be I will order it someday.

User Info Menu

A question to all the neckup-users:

When the belt is running straight across the input jack of the guitar, how do you put a cable in there?

When you watch this video, at 6:15 min he's covering the input jack with the belt:

I know that the holes in the belt are there to solve the problem, but what if the location doesn't fit like in the video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17

When the belt is running straight across the input jack of the guitar, how do you put a cable in there?
    I think you've revealed a flaw with the design for certain electric guitars!

I use the NeckUp on acoustic guitars with endpin jacks. I'm also a longtime Dynarette user. I'll second what was said above about the flexibility of the Dynarette. Left leg, right leg, feet flat on the floor or cross legged... it all works with that simple pillow lift.

I started with a foot stool years ago as a conservatory student but, yeah, it's not a healthy long term solution.

User Info Menu

The 4" small Neck Up fits nicely on an ES-335 style guitar. I have one. There are holes spaced about 1" apart in the strap for the jack. You should be able to find a hole for the guitar plug that sits over the jack.

I sit my guitars astride my right thigh with the 4" Neck Up. It is the most comfortable device I have used. Quality leather. Smells great.

The Guitar Lift is clunky. Good for the studio but try moving around town with it in tow. You will learn to hate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17

When you watch this video, at 6:15 min he's covering the input jack with the belt:

I know that the holes in the belt are there to solve the problem, but what if the location doesn't fit like in the video?
    You can adjust the length to put the hole in the right spot.

User Info Menu

Hi Raquel,
    I use the "narrow" Neck-up when I sit with my tele, and it works well!

Marc

User Info Menu

I really like the Mundo support, and I want one. However, I'm having trouble convincing myself that I should spend more than $100 for a guitar support.

User Info Menu

I have nothing to suggest .. Just wanted to say that many archtop and other electric guitar (tho not all of course) tend to gravitate towards thumb over left hand position, which doesn't require angled necks and thus might the reason that supports geared towards archtops are difficult to get by compared to classical guitars .. Not much in terms of demand?

User Info Menu

Well you learn something new every day. When I opened this thread I thought you were asking about guitar stands. I have never ever seen before the type of support you were really asking about.

User Info Menu

Got my Guitarlift in the mail today. Not a lot of time but did use it with my Eastman AR371 (ES 175 size) instrument. A tiny bit of fiddling found a very comfortable spot. Played using it for an hour tonite. It is hugely comfortable. Although I do need to break the habit of rising up on the toe of my supporting leg...

Tomorrow I'll try it with the Eastman AR610 17" instrument...

User Info Menu

Well, I broke down and have a Mundo support on the way. It may or may not have left Merrie Olde, but the Royal Mail has accepted it. It remains to be seen how long it takes to get across the pond and halfway across the US. I fear that mail from the UK may be delayed these days. But I'm looking forward to trying it out. It looks like the best bet of the myriad contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Y6JJW97/...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    I happen to have a few of these, they are okay.. they kind of hard to angle and find a happy median between comfort and technique. I've been using it latley but not a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Hi Raquel, sorry I have nothing but empathy for your concerns. I'm not a fan of straps either but I'm excited to try the Guitarlift product. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I had not seen it when I was looking for solutions.

Best of luck finding something that works for you!

guido
    Let me know how you like it! I love those things, I use to always use in on my classicals for performances - it would suprise a lot of experience players because suction cups in general dont seem to be reliable on curbs - but since its mean to stick on a flat surface - there is never any issue. I am probably just gonna settle buying a small one for my archtop

User Info Menu

I always use a strap, each guitar has its own. They are set so the guitars have the same position, irregardless of guitar or whether I’m standing or sitting.

When playing I alternate between standing and sitting. I try to walk around the room too.

This is the only way for me to avoid back and shoulder pain. As well as a pinched nerve in my left hand that requires geometry to be just right or I can’t play for days.