The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor;[URL="tel:1085136"
    1085136[/URL]]Any electric guitar with any PU clean output into a guitar amp-less chain sounds terrible, you simply can not do that. Guitar amps even in the cleanest setting way effects the sound, that is what we know as "clean electric sound".
    not true dat ....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Recording with Reaper, one of the Amp/Cabinet sims that comes with Reaper...

My friend wanted me to put some guitar on his tune. This is the Amp and Cabinet Impulse Response Simulation that comes with Reaper for this recording, guitar plugged directly into audio interface ((i.e. no real amps or mics). I used some free Amplitube4 effect pedals but not the Amplitube4 amp or speaker. Great for staying quiet and not disturbing others in the household.

Probably not the tone most are going for here, but if you don't add the effects I did (overdrive, delay, reverb) I think it will work well for more straight ahead jazz tone.

Last edited by fep; 12-24-2020 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I am taking notes from this thread. I tried to use Reaper once and got frustrated.

I will be going back again, armed with some knowledge from this thread.

User Info Menu

Don’t fear the Reaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Not true in all cases. This is my ES 175 plugged straight into my recording device, all that was added was a little reverb. No amp sims or other effects.

Impressive. Maybe it's my technique or my guitars' setups, but the low-end always becomes a boomy mess when I record direct like this. That said, it sounded to me like you were playing primarily on the higher-pitched strings. How does, say, a thumpy Bb on the low E string sound using this method with your particular gear?

User Info Menu

I believe Reaper has a built in guitar and amp plugin? Where you can record direct and then apply these on your track. I have these in my PC, don't think they came with the focusrite interface.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ok IR thing. ‘impulse response’ tech is great at simulating resonance and space; so acoustic guitar bodies, rooms, speaker cabs and speakers. Stuff like that.

Get the ‘Wall of Sound’ plugin from TwoNotes Torpedo. Use a DI from your amp, character pedal, software amp or whatever you use. You can decide what kind of space you want and what type of speaker and mic you want.

See also Celestion :

Celestion Impulse Responses | Dynamic Speaker Responses

for several IR collections.

User Info Menu

i'm all about the fake ass amps these days. here are some thoughts as they might pertain to you jazzing fellows:

softube amp room- my personal favorite. some top shelf sounds to start with, but if you keep buying and expanding, you get even topper shelf stuff. best cabs out there, best marshalls, if you're into that. the bluesbreaker is a great amp for jazz; warm, dark, throaty cleans. marshall cab pack is very recommended, the handwired 1x12 greenback cab is awesome for cleans.

neural- only the cory wong seems to apply. maybe the plini has a clean amp in there, as well? while i don't have experience with those sets, i have a few of their other products and they are widely regarded as amongst the best in sims today, if not the forerunner. they just concentrate more on high gain.

amplitube 5- i just upgraded to a5 max. the amps are vastly improved, many as good as anything out there now. the cabs are better than before, but i can still take or leave a lot of them, and prefer to use my own irs, or the softube ones with them instead. luckily, their fender collection is much improved. the super reverb in fender two being the star of the show, but any blackface in fender 1 should suffice. though i highly recommend getting that super reverb 4x10 cab- it just has a special something.

i haven't tried any of their free generic fenders because i have the fancy ones and didn't see the point, but i'm sure they are usable now; they were trash before. luckily, the fender cabs are pretty good and very important to that fender sound, so if you spring for one or two of the good fender cabs, you should be able to spruce up the generic ones a great deal. the 4x10s, 3x10s, or the 1x15 bassman are all pretty badass, and each have their own thing going. they standard 1x12 and 2x12s are cool, but have less character, which may be a good thing, depending on your usage.

as for irs, i have wall of sound and go back and forth on it these days. sometimes it's fine, often it's way too bright and i still generally prefer other things. but if you are handy enough with the eq and post processing, these aren't bad. the celestion irs i found sort of generic, but they work. york ir's seem to be what all the cool kids are going with these days. no real experience, but premixed irs like those will always sound better than a single mic capture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I believe Reaper has a built in guitar and amp plugin? Where you can record direct and then apply these on your track. I have these in my PC, don't think they came with the focusrite interface.
    Yes they do, that's what I used in post #27 above.

User Info Menu

I usually go guitar> ME80 > Focusrite 2i2 > Reaper. I then monitor with my Little Jazz, so as I play, I'm hearing my usual sound.

The ME80 is supplying reverb only except in particular situations where I need a processed sound.

The resulting tone has worked fine. I have posted several tunes over the last few months done that way.

For one tune, I set up a mic'ed amp. I still used the ME80, which has L and R outputs. One went to the 2i2 and the other went into the amp. I then plugged the mic into the 2i2.

I set Reaper to record them on different channels and mixed them later to taste.

Since I'm recording with reverb, I can't change it except to add more on top. That's a potential disadvantage, but I'm not bothered by it.

I haven't used anything fancy inside Reaper. I use the EQ that came with it -- which has an 11 or 12 band setting that I like. I also have used the reverb, but I like the ME80's reverb better.

You can tame the Tele with EQ, reverb or one of the fancier plugins (I call them fancy because I've never used them). Or, you can send the output to an amp, mic it and send it back in to Reaper, or so I think. I've never done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Impressive. Maybe it's my technique or my guitars' setups, but the low-end always becomes a boomy mess when I record direct like this. That said, it sounded to me like you were playing primarily on the higher-pitched strings. How does, say, a thumpy Bb on the low E string sound using this method with your particular gear?
    I haven’t noticed any problems with this approach. Here’s something I recorded direct with a Boss OC3 octave pedal, so some of the bass notes are doubled an octave lower, seems ok to me: