The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Feels like I’m just piling on at this point, but I mostly play finger style and I use Curt Mangan or TI flats on my hollow body archtops. One is a thin line ES330-ish guitar and the other is full depth L5-ish guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I play with flats on my archtop, hybrid style (especially comping), and sometimes fingerstyle. Sounds fine to me, especially compared to the alternative of excessive finger squeak I get with rounds that my archtop seems to accentuate more than my solid and semi (which I string with rounds).

Fwiw, D'addario chromes are at the bright end of the spectrum for flats (at least compared to TI's). So maybe try those and change them if they get too dull with time and use.

John
    Thanks for your response, John. However, it's too late. I already ordered TIs. Since I only change strings about twice a year (or less) I'll have plenty of time to decide if I like the Thomastick flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    It's not that I can't grow nails. It's that I don't want to. I mentioned earlier that I used to play Flamenco and nail care became a time consuming obsession. Plus, I like the sound and feel of playing a steel string with just flesh backed up by a bit of nail.

I guess the brightness or lack thereof on the lower strings is my main concern with changing to flat wounds. However, I'll soon have my answer. I just ordered some flats and I'll see what happens. I just wanted to find out what others with more experience had to say.
    Yes, the lower strings will sound duller, but that isn't necessarily always a bad thing for finger-style solo guitar. I guess you can play around with EQ as well. Have you checked out Tuck Andress. I think he uses all flesh.