The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    GHS Brite Flats. Also - vertical attack, vertical lift, then shift hand position.

And - flats in general, with a plain G.

But mainly, VA,VL; TS.
    I thought plain G is a no no...
    Many archtops have such kind of compensated bridge, which is explicitly for wound G ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Or you can cheat... at least on recordings. The same as a de-ess. I don't often de-ess but when I do I do it manually. (The EQ-compressor way is cool but kind of complicated so I haven't messed with it.)

After I changed to roundwounds on my Eastman 810 (wow, what a sound) I litcerally scared how much finger noise I generate, so I tried many of desqueek, deees plugins. My experience they do way more damage than benefit, in any possible settings...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    From Joe Pass: rub your fingers against the side of your nose or your scalp to get a little bit of oil on them.
    I saw Jim Hall with a little tin of what I assumed at the time was talcum powder....he was putting it on his fingers every few tunes.

?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I saw Jim Hall with a little tin of what I assumed at the time was talcum powder....he was putting it on his fingers every few tunes.

?
    yeah, talcum powder, likely story :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I thought plain G is a no no...
    Many archtops have such kind of compensated bridge, which is explicitly for wound G ...
    Several luthiers will make you a replacement saddle compensated for a plain G. Sadoswky does I believe, Actually, You could do it yourself with a lot of patience and a tune-o-matic setting for reference. I've had several archtops with 0.020Ps on them, and they sounded fine.
    "No-nos" are more guidelines than actual rules, in Jazz, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    After I changed to roundwounds on my Eastman 810 (wow, what a sound) I litcerally scared how much finger noise I generate, so I tried many of desqueek, deees plugins. My experience they do way more damage than benefit, in any possible settings...
    You can do the manual way, shouldn't do any damage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    You can do the manual way, shouldn't do any damage.
    I did manual spot dsing on the two nylon string tunes on my 2003 solo album UTONIA. Took a little time; was worth it. Since then, I learned to be a little better technician on the instrument. Ever upward!