User Info Menu

he was an amazing guitarist and musician. Very impressive.
    Somebody who knows about joe pass can tell me what technique does he uses when soloing without the plectrum. 3 fingers scales? 2 fingers plus thumb?

this is a fast run at 5:41

Is he using free stroke (tirando) in a classical way? if so, i have to say that most of classica lguitarist cant or struggle reachign that speed. So if so, I am curious why he just didnt threw the pic and played regularly like that, this is real a good speed. If this is real tirando, i cant udnerstand why he didnt just go classical guitar.

Or is he just playing many notes for each hit of the finger? Most likely is this. Like sliding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hear that run as quite legato. Definitely not picking (or in this case, fingerpicking) every note

User Info Menu

I watched him play from the front row a couple of times. I think he just used his style of finger-picking however it suited him. It wasn't classical as such. He was improvising, for one. No pre-planning.

To approach this I would turn your question around:
    A. How can I play these bebop lines - at all?
    B. How shall I play them without a pick, with my thumb and fingers? (maybe all 4 fingers)

I think the answer is - whatever works/worked. He sometimes played multiple consecutive strokes with his "I" finger. That's not classical, but it worked for him/his lines. When he wanted to go faster he would often pull his pick from his mouth and do it. Sometimes switching back to pick didn't work so well (because he had switched to finger-style to a significant extent) and he would make picking mistakes and exclaim - "Shit!", lol.

yes here too,

User Info Menu

On the question of legato, yes, big time.

User Info Menu

See here for Joe talking about his right hand technique, starting at 5:30, then some of his left hand technique.

User Info Menu

Like a lot of jazz guitarist of his generation, Joe spent a lot of time studying how horn players phrased their lines and worked out ways to approximate that on their instrument. Hammer-ons, pulloffs, choosing scale forms and arpeggiated forms that fit legato phrasing, etc. Check out Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, etc.

Looking at Johnny Smith's scale forms (The Guitar Approach Of Johnny Smith or something like that, published I believe by Mel Bay in two volumes) will show forms that work well with slurring and legato phrasing as well as alternate picking may be helpful. There are some differences from the Segovia scales.

User Info Menu

He'd play fingerstyle somewhat traditionally for his chords and then if he needed to move to single lines he'd move to a technique similar to a bassist just using index and middle and I think a little thumb. You can tell by watching him, and he also says in the tape that he doesn't adhere to a formal method. The chording is mostly traditional finger assignment tho.

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    See here for Joe talking about his right hand technique, starting at 5:30, then some of his left hand technique.

yes thanks for this, i think he explains it very clear. i understand now how he did that run