User Info Menu

Hi I have slowly been going through jonathan kreisbergs solo on Frame for the Blues with Dr Lonnie Smith and have hit a wall. At 5:34 in the piece he plays a line that is simply way over my skill level. I feel like I am I'm fine up to after that phrase - its just so quick, so many notes! . So I'm stuck . I would like to play through the arc of the whole solo - I love how it develops and resolves -
    so what to do ? While I will keep studying/practising that phrase until I can play it at the correct tempo. In the meantime I would like to work on the solo as a whole .

What to do? I'm thinking I can simplify the line somehow so I can include a " paraphrase " of it - how do you approach doing that - what to focus on? Is that a useful way of going about the problem?

Will

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One thing that often works is to play every other note, starting on the first note of the phrase if it's on the beat. The problem with this line is that, it seems to me, is that the speed is what makes it work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    - its just so quick, so many notes! .

I can ot stand to recall this. "too many notes"... :-) this is exactly what the Emperor said to Mozart :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

I can ot stand to recall this. "too many notes"... :-) this is exactly what the Emperor said to Mozart :-)

lol yeah - and here I thought it was a legitimate question - oh well
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 09-12-2020 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Try hammer ons and pull offs is one trick. I just listened once but it sounded like a section made up of several small fast runs. Take them one at a time.

User Info Menu

Yeah it seemed pretty chromatic too, which should make it easier...