User Info Menu

I'm starting to notice a slight amount of tingling in my pinky, mostly on my fretting hand. Dr Google suggests this is fairly common in guitar players; particularly if they start to up the volume of playing they are doing. I've been going a bit crazy lately and adding a lot of bends and bends against fretted notes with my pinky. It also doesn't help that I spend a lot of time on the computer for work. download guitar tones

I've been trying to ease up a bit, make sure I'm fully warmed up, and have limited the bending and fretting that I do with my pinky. I've also been taking more rest days. A trip to the Doctor is also being scheduled.

What are folks here doing that have had to deal with this?
    download instrument ringtones
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Nathantu; 08-25-2020 at 07:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I got the tingling, I was referred to a neurologist, who gave me some tests, and said I had compression of the ulnar nerve. I asked him if it was related to guitar playing and he said no, it's something that happens internally with no external influence.
    I tried to tell him that I had been doing a lot of exercises involving my third and fourth fingers, but he brushed it off, and told me to lay off the guitar for a month, and gave me a referral to a hand therapist.

She gave me a bunch of exercises to do that you can find on you tube, and it went away after a month. I had one relapse years later, and did the exercises again, and it went away after a few weeks.

Do a search on You Tube. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Tingling in the pinky would not be the initial symptom of CTS. Do you spend much time with your elbows resting on a desk or table top. You may be even more susceptible to pressure on your nerves at joints if you are particularly lacking muscle and/or fat. When I was involved in endurance sports my upper body was quite emaciated and any outside pressure (like wearing a seatbelt) could be uncomfortable or painful. If you're just starting to experience symptoms, now is the time to educate yourself and be mindful of anything and everything that you do throughout the day and night (sleeping with joints at sharp angles) that could possibly contribute to your issues. Best of luck to you.

User Info Menu

Tingling is definitely your body telling you something is up. whiskey02 is correct to advise mindfulness - paying close attention to your body and areas of tension can help isolate and identify how you may be using your body sub-optimally. If you can’t solve the issue on your own, definitely consider a visit to a physical therapist or an Alexander Technique coach.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=whiskey02;1041064]Tingling in the pinky would not be the initial symptom of CTS. Do you spend much time with your elbows resting on a desk or table top. You may be even more susceptible to pressure on your nerves at joints if you are particularly lacking muscle and/or fat. When I was involved in endurance sports my upper body was quite emaciated and any outside pressure (like wearing a seatbelt) could be uncomfortable or painful. If you're just starting to experience symptoms, now is the time to educate yourself and be mindful of anything and everything that you do throughout the day and night (sleeping with joints at sharp angles) that could possibly contribute to your issues. Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE
    Yes, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome involves the thumb and first two fingers. Ulnar Nerve Entrapment (or Cubital Tunnel Syndrome) deals with the pinky and ring finger. As the quoted poster says, the ulnar nerve problem involves the elbow, where the ulnar nerve gets entrapped.
    So the elbow (funny bone area) is the main target of therapy, not the fingers themselves,