The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I did a Google search on this but didn’t find much.

My teacher was going on about four notes per string today. Does anybody have a link to this subject? The explanation was a little short as my lessons are only 30 minutes long.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Basically, you start fron 3 notes per string, adding one slide where convenient. Usually you slide index from 1st note into 2nd, or pinky from 3rd note into 4th. Then, you repeat on the next string. You could see it as going through position patterns of 3 notes per string system, but using only 2 strings in each position.

User Info Menu

I think the 4 notes is a good method of practicing fretboard mapping. Takes you of the usual positions.

User Info Menu

Sid Jacobs teaches 3-octave major scales with symmetrical fingerings (everything is either 1-2-4 or 1-1-2-4 ) which gives you four notes on some strings, 3 on others.
    (The fingering is different for harmonic and melodic minor yet remains symmetrical.)
    In this system, you are always playing the same note (-say, B) with the same finger, regardless of octave.

User Info Menu

Below link will redirect you to post on my BlogSpo page
    This is the link to post on my BlogSpot page: Shapes for what I think Sid Jacobs is talking about, Major scale only

Above link will redirect you to post on my BlogSpo page

Notes:
    1. While Jacobs mentions only index finger sliding, my diagrams are for sliding both index, or pinky
    2. Number of notes per string alternate from 4 to 3, or 3 to 4, between adjacent strings
    3. Sliding is used to play 4 notes per string
    4. Sliding is not used to play 3 notes per string

Ultra Low Res Preview:
    4 notes per string?-uniform-fingering-pattern-shapes-major-scale-c-ss-jpg

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth often played 4 notes per string, basically using the index finger as a movable one-string capo and hammering on and pulling off with the other three. But he had enormous reach with his hand so for a lot of people that wouldn't work, hence the technique of sliding the index or pinky to make the reaches doable.

I use the standard five scale patterns a la Arnie Berle and Jimmy Bruno. But these other options do shake up your thinking, which can be a very good thing.

User Info Menu

I have been making a logic practice of four note per string (4NPS) patterns in recent months. They are a bit of a stretch, so start at the 12th fret where it's easier. I am currently at the 7th fret, it has been taking about 2 weeks of 15min daily practice for each pattern to be usable, don't rush, because you could injure yourself.

4NPS are also great for moving to other positions using the little finger or index finger to stretch to a new position.

Here are some of my patterns:

User Info Menu

I have occasionally practiced 4NPS and feel it has value even though in playing I never use them.

1. It offers yet one more visualization of the fingerboard and spans 3+ octaves.
    2. It improves shifting

I recently came upon a teaching video of a classical violinist that describes itself as a shifting exercise.
    He presents an etude that is based on sequential ascending and descending 4 note arpeggios that he models playing
    either 1,2,3,4 or 4,3,2,1 (original etude recommends playing on adjacent strings, a single position).
    Obviously, this involves much movement of the arm. It fosters the skill to put down any finger on any note, a sense
    of the fingerboard as one big single position. I mostly practiced this idea (using standard single string arpeggios) on cello,
    my other instrument, and a little bit on guitar. I viewed this exercise like 4NPS scales, helpful technically but not so practical
    for my hands and fingers.