The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

If yous are not bored enough in isolation you can have a look at a video I did today focusing on picking.
    It's mainly through the lens of Jazz guitar and isn't a "technique" video as such (bored already? )
    But if you really have nothing else to do maybe have a look and maybe you get some enjoyment out of it!
    Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmm, setting aside the content, the multiple cuts that keep occurring are really annoying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Hmm, setting aside the content, the multiple cuts that keep occurring are really annoying.
    i also pretty much disagree with the content

User Info Menu

Go on djg and/or cunamara, be more specific I’m interested...

User Info Menu

Hi, Cunamara. Thanks a mill for checking it out.
    I get what you mean. I had some audio issues and tried to salvage it through the edit which didn't really work.
    I got this a few times for this video so I definitely missed the mark here.
    Will try to make it better!

User Info Menu

Hi, djg.
    Thanks for checking the video out.
    Sorry about the edits as well...!
    Would you be open to share with what you disagree? I would love to learn from others here and discuss things in a nice and open way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matty91
    Hi, djg.
    Would you be open to share with what you disagree? I would love to learn from others here and discuss things in a nice and open way
    i thought the editing style was par for the course - stylistic even - for a YT video, and I enjoyed your style of presentation, self deprecating and light. I get the impression you haven’t done too many vids, so well done.

the one bit of advice I would make is - get to the point faster. This will be funny to many who have been saying the same thing to me for years, but they are right. The background can be added later in the video for those who are interested. You need to hook viewers earlier. so this might actually require more editing unless you script your vids (in which case you might lose some of the naturalness of presentation.)

User Info Menu

Hi, djg.
    gladly. benson picking is a bit more than a strange angle of the wrist. reststrokes, economy picking, left-hand organisation, yada, yada. "he plays like this a little bit" is not too helpful. the pick is supposed to do most of the work "sliding" through the strings. dan wilson explains it very well on youtube. it's obvious that this is not a technique you're really familiar with.

of the three guys you examine, two actually use the same technique. so it's not three total different techniques. in fact reststrokes and economy are the most common technique for jazz guitarists. a point that should definitely be included in a "how to pick" video.

from the above fact it also follows that relating downstrokes to downbeats and upstrokes to upbeats is ususally not a good idea in jazz. you've missed that pat martino does not pick nearly as many notes as you think. it's a cliche that is often used about pat but it is very far from the truth.

your rule about hammer-ons is not very specific. you missed the most important point, namely to hammer/slur *into* the beat. the off-beats get articulated and you slur into the beat. reason: you want to create forward motion. this is really important for mainstream jazz styles. think wes' phrasing or any hornplayer.

play the CC solo just with downstrokes. learn it by heart. check out miles okazaki for good ideas on picking, drum rudiments for guitar and CC solos.

das kommt jetzt superkritisch rüber, ist aber überhaupt nicht böse gemeint. hab einfach nur zuviel zeit... liebe grüße.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    gladly. benson picking is a bit more than a strange angle of the wrist. reststrokes, economy picking, left-hand organisation, yada, yada. "he plays like this a little bit" is not too helpful. the pick is supposed to do most of the work "sliding" through the strings. dan wilson explains it very well on youtube. it's obvious that this is not a technique you're really familiar with.
    Hi, Thanks for the detailed answer. (should I reply in german or english )
    And no worries it's not taken in a bad way. I really like your answer.

I think I didn't bring my point across to well in the video.
    I didn't want to say Benson "only does" this or that. I didn't really want to teach any of the guys technique a such but just show that they are all very different. (the Jim Hall point taken, allthough I think there might be a longer discussion in the future )
    What I wanted to demonstrate is that there isn't one way of doing things but many.

As I said in the video, relating down and upstrokes to beats/offbeats is not intended for using it in your playing as such.
    I learned this exercise in college to get familiar with 8th note phrasing and on and off beat sounds in general.
    This might be more aimed at total beginners but I remember it helping me a lot at the time.

Maybe I get the point about the hammer on slurring wrong ( I know I did't clearly say it in the video) but isn't that what I wrote out in the Transcription in the parts where notes are on the same string?

Totally love your answer and it really helps to work more detailed in future.
    Only one thing,

Wir haben alle zu viel Zeit im Moment. Trotzdem Danke für die detaillierte Kritik! Das hilft sehr!
    Der Pat Martino joke war genau als solcher angedacht aber vielleicht nicht klar genug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    i thought the editing style was par for the course - stylistic even - for a YT video, and I enjoyed your style of presentation, self deprecating and light. I get the impression you haven’t done too many vids, so well done.

the one bit of advice I would make is - get to the point faster. This will be funny to many who have been saying the same thing to me for years, but they are right. The background can be added later in the video for those who are interested. You need to hook viewers earlier. so this might actually require more editing unless you script your vids (in which case you might lose some of the naturalness of presentation.)
    Hi christian,

Thanks a lot for the kind words.
    I totally have to get to the point faster and structure it a bit more I think. I have done a few videos but as everything it's a bit of learning curve.
    Will put it on the list for sure though!

Cheers
    matt

User Info Menu

Hi christian,

Thanks a lot for the kind words.
    I totally have to get to the point faster and structure it a bit more I think. I have done a few videos but as everything it's a bit of learning curve.
    Will put it on the list for sure though!

Cheers
    matt
    Yeah, it’s tough to make good videos! Anyway I’ve subbed so look forward to seeing what you do.

User Info Menu

djg could you link to the Dan Wilson vid?

User Info Menu

djg could you link to the Dan Wilson vid?
    couldnt find it anymore. iirc it was recorded by scot gormley. good close-ups, almost troy grady style.

but dan made a remark that i managed to ignore for years about how the right-hand gives you feedback if something went wrong.

it's not the hand leading the pick but the pick leading the hand. probably obvious for most but i'm slow with physical stuff like that.

User Info Menu

That sounds a little similar to what Julian Lage talks in that clinic.
    It's less about "pushing" the pick through the string with force and more about meeting the string and just giving way.
    around 40min mark

Last edited by matty91; 04-01-2020 at 10:19 AM.

User Info Menu

the one bit of advice I would make is - get to the point faster. This will be funny to many who have been saying the same thing to me for years, but they are right.
    Everyone who speaks in public needs this advice. (Or they have already received it and learned the lesson.)
    I don't always practice it but I did learn the lesson while in seminary. I had to preach 75 times at daily Masses and I was told I couldn't talk for more than 2 minutes. Well. I learned to do it. Learned to do it well, in fact. It's a skill.

I set my alarm clock to wake me with the morning news and noted how long the stories ran. Some were but one sentence, a few seconds long. ("A passenger train derailed outside Rome last night, killing 7 and injuring 31.") Most stories ran under 30 seconds. An "analysis" piece might run 90 seconds. Every word tells. None distract. Write tight, Dwight.

It's like getting in shape. If you slack off, you flab up.

User Info Menu

I get the impression you haven’t done too many vids, so well done.
    Matthias Winkler
    - YouTube

User Info Menu

Hi Matty, I tried to do what you pointed in Benson style, and it gave me good results. It gives more motion and more dynamic to my playing. Thanks a lot !

User Info Menu

I will shortly be re-releasing "JC Stylles Benson Picking Tutorial" with support coaching. There are many on this site who benefited from it when I first released it a few years back. I will update you further for those who are interested.

Cheers,
    JC Stylles

User Info Menu

That sounds a little similar to what Julian Lage talks in that clinic.
    It's less about "pushing" the pick through the string with force and more about meeting the string and just giving way.
    around 40min mark

is it that time of year again? Time to rewatch that vid....