The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
    This study group is based on the book, Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Post a video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

Jan 5: patterns 87-90
    Jan 12: patterns 91-93
    Jan 19: patterns 94-96
    Jan 26: patterns 97-98

State the BPM if you like. Please state whether you would like comments on your playing.

Also, please feel free to continue to post in these threads if you're newly finding them or otherwise want to participate after the deadlines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Back in the PFJ saddle! Glad we're moving on to Dominants.

I usually played my Ibanez unplugged but I think I'll always plug in the Tele. Used to Roland Mobile Cube battery amp for this because it's handy. Brought my Fender Mustang II home from storage and will probably use that next time around. Have to find suitable settings first.

User Info Menu

Not wild about this exercise----tritone arps in 3/4---so I wanted to get it over with! ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Not wild about this exercise----tritone arps in 3/4---so I wanted to get it over with! ;o)

Yeah those are different. Different intervallic cycling sequence than we've seen before in this book. For Good job breaking the ice on these patterns for the new year.

Here are mine for this week, patterns 87-90, using the upper indicated tempo numbers:
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 01-07-2020 at 07:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Yeah those are different. Different intervallic cycling sequence than we've seen before in this book. For Good job breaking the ice on these patterns for the new year.
    Thanks, Matt. I'm loving the new guitar. Feels much more comfortable than the other one. Experimenting with a thumbpick this week. Wonder how long that will last this time... ;o)

User Info Menu

Thanks, Matt. I'm loving the new guitar.
    When I saw the video's still picture, I thought "what a horrible finish on that guitar!", but only just now realised it's a reflection...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    When I saw the video's still picture, I thought "what a horrible finish on that guitar!", but only just now realised it's a reflection...
    Here's a pic of it I just took with my phone. I love the finish. But it's butterscotch, not the more, um, yellow-y finish on many Teles. (The light in my room is not bright; the finish lights up in bright light!)

Patterns for Jazz 2020-butterscotch-finish-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks very nice and clean; I'd not seen that colour before. It's more natural than the one they call "blonde".

User Info Menu

Okay, Patterns #93-96. Two recorded (but not posted) yesterday morning, the other two this morning. In fact, 95 and 96 were done without pause, single take. (This is why 96 is here in 4/4 rather than the 3/4 it was written in.)

Using Crossover picks again. It's a flat pick with a strap, so you can wear it and use it like a thumbpick. But you can also strum with it. (To some extent). You can also do upstrokes with it. I'm playing mostly downstrokes here. Maybe all, with slurs.

Getting some unwanted string noise. (Flatwounds are forgiving about that; nickel plated steel strings are not: I'll get used to it.)

User Info Menu

Okay, here's Pattern #97, with several variations. I like the final variation best but play it the worst. That will change with time.
    Video contains a few words about the Kodiak Crossover pick I'm using this now. It's great for Travis picking, though that's not what I'm doing here.

User Info Menu

83 and so on. 105bpm

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    83 and so on. 105bpm
    Melodic minor?

Anyway, a lot of good work on this. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Did #98, 99, and 100 this morning. That ends this chapter of PFJ. (Next, minor chords and scales.)

A few general comments.
    First and foremost, I love my new Tele and it is now my main guitar. I think I play better on it. (I'm still a bit off on certain things on the high E string---I think my hands recall my old Strat when I play the Tele and the Strat neck had a different radius, changing the feel of notes on the high E string. Not a big deal but it's something I must adjust to. Will just take a bit of time.)

Second, I gave up on varying chromatic movement exercises. When I didn't have much of a cutaway, this was useful but now I have access to all the neck and I just play those exercises straight up and down the neck the way Mickey Baker instructed in his book.

Third, I'm sticking with the Crossover pick for now. I wear it further away from the thumbnail than most people do. For some reason, I'm most comfortable with the pick under the lower half of my thumb. (I was never able to hold a standard flatpick that way, at least, not for very long.)

User Info Menu

I've moved on to the minor triads, etc. I appear to be alone in this, so I won't post anything but I am doing the work.

User Info Menu

I've moved on to the minor triads, etc. I appear to be alone in this, so I won't post anything but I am doing the work.
    Good work, and keeping the thread alive, Mark! I’m still doing the book, I’m just a slow learner, will do my best to contribute more in February.

Anyone else still a board?

I apologize for being a lowlife. I've been incredibly busy the last couple of weeks and haven't been around much. Actually recorded a couple videos about a week ago , but then I didn't make time to actually post.

Again, I apologize for being so lax. If I'm being honest, since very early on in the process, patterns for jazz has become more of a philosophical construct for me than merely the book itself and specific patterns within. I've basically been doing "patterns for jazz " methodology on a lot of Barry Harris material , some Jimmy Rainey, and various other incidental things.

It's really given me some good breakthroughs with really learning how to woodshed things better. Before PFJ, I could never seem to make woodshed Harris halfstep rules scales effectively. everything I tried was either mind numbing cognitively , leading to distraction and giving up.... or really hard on my hands.

Anyway, I've really had a lot more progress with all of the Harris "basics" material, since changing the approach. here's another one I recorded about a week ago and forgot to post. Sorry:

User Info Menu

Sounding good, Matt!

87 to 90 (wrong rhythm on 88)

User Info Menu

The past several days spent working with this book have been very good. Not making videos right now, just playing from different pages in the minor chords / scales section and tracking my time with a metronome.

So glad I kept at this despite some frustration along the way. ;o)