The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 88 of 88

User Info Menu

So I decided to do a clip to see where I"m at on this tune. Tweeked the backing track to a tempo I could play, set up the recording and did it without any real practice. But forgot to press "record" (details!) so tried again, adjusted the audio levels, and got this. I'm reminded of a passage from the Bible, "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to his folly..."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lawson that was fine for the first time run through and you did not seem terribly stressed. I do think I could sense you did not necessarily feel like you were ready to smoke the tempo out. I figure at 200 BPM clean and smooth is doable for sure and at least not slow. Today I just finished a practice session and better than usual. Like you pulled out the guitar that is more respectable. I took the 49 New Yorker and believe it or not I actually turned the wheels on the bridge just a little to lower the action. I would imagine I have not touched that in years. The warmer temps I believe might be the reason. Not measurable but just a slight take down was the trick.

So, to the tune today I started at BIAB 160, 170, 180, 190. The 190 was pretty decent but takes all my concentration to get it right. That said today the door might be open to get somewhere. Realizing that once you get to the goal 200 bpm, we are like Augustine and " hearts are restless until they rest in God," I will want to push to 210.
    Possibly someone will wake me from the dream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Lawson that was fine for the first time run through and you did not seem terribly stressed. I do think I could sense you did not necessarily feel like you were ready to smoke the tempo out. I figure at 200 BPM clean and smooth is doable for sure and at least not slow. Today I just finished a practice session and better than usual. Like you pulled out the guitar that is more respectable. I took the 49 New Yorker and believe it or not I actually turned the wheels on the bridge just a little to lower the action. I would imagine I have not touched that in years. The warmer temps I believe might be the reason. Not measurable but just a slight take down was the trick.

So, to the tune today I started at BIAB 160, 170, 180, 190. The 190 was pretty decent but takes all my concentration to get it right. That said today the door might be open to get somewhere. Realizing that once you get to the goal 200 bpm, we are like Augustine and " hearts are restless until they rest in God," I will want to push to 210.
    Possibly someone will wake me from the dream.

At one point I'd also learned Bird's solos on DL and could play them fairly well at a pretty decent tempo.

Here's that from about March 2020

User Info Menu

I play the head at 314bpm. I used to be able to play it at 332bpm, but i fractured my pinky.

User Info Menu

I’ve been playing it mostly with three fingers for a dare. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post

Wow I'd love to see that! Could you post a clip? I think it would be exciting to see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post

I think the take I posted on the first page of this thread is almost all 3 fingers...it does work!

I need to revisit this one. Maybe this is my next document some practice type thread I start here. Glad this came back up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I think the take I posted on the first page of this thread is almost all 3 fingers...it does work!

I need to revisit this one. Maybe this is my next document some practice type thread I start here. Glad this came back up!
    The bit I like to use my pinky on are those little twiddles

Inner urge is good with three fingers too. I’m going to do 26-2 next. All the jazz kiddie favourites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow I'd love to see that! Could you post a clip? I think it would be exciting to see.
    Not quite played in yet, but when it’s reliable I will post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

I could get behind a 4 bars a week study group. Learn and analyze the head bit by bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    I could get behind a 4 bars a week study group. Learn and analyze the head bit by bit.
    Oooohhhh I would start this.

Bebop head study group. Four bars a week max.

sounds awesome

User Info Menu

Let's do it. Whoever wants to start, go for it...or I can.

User Info Menu