User Info Menu

I'm digging this little clip from singer/guitarist Vilray on his instagram account. No vocal but great finger-style playing. Of course, I know Tommy Emmanuel et al could do circles around him but V has his own appealing way about it.

Rachael & Vilray on Instagram: “Trowback Tuesday to when i had my greasy mitts all over this Epiphone from 1946. Such a great feeling instrument--pardon my vacant guitar…”

He's playing a great 46 Epiphone, by the way. I'd like to figure out how to keep a nice, thumpin' swingin' bass rhythm with simultaneous chords. Anyone recommend some instructional clips to get this style of jazz playing down?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks. I enjoyed that.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

who else??

tim lerch!

cheers

User Info Menu

You can start by playing changes you already know, but work in alternating bass on 1 & 3, with that boom-chick, boom chick sound
    Last edited by JGinNJ; 10-29-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: mistake

User Info Menu

I’ve been a fan of Vilrays for years. Somehow my trips to NY are always out of sync with his performance calendar but I’m looking forward to catching him in SF in December.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    who else??

tim lerch!

cheers
    I think Tim did five or six of those lessons. At one point, I had downloaded them all but I'm not sure I still have them.
    I love Travis picking, though I have a hard time feeling comfortable with a thumb pick. (Did you know Johnny Winter used a thumb pick ALL THE TIME? It boggles my mind that he could play all he did, as fast as he did, with a thumb pick. A blue Herco, I think.)

Here's Merle Travis doing his thing on "Lost John".
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I’ve been a fan of Vilrays for years. Somehow my trips to NY are always out of sync with his performance calendar but I’m looking forward to catching him in SF in December.
    Yeah, man! Vilray was a great discovery! He's got his brand of guitar accompaniment down pretty good, but the dude can compose, sing, scat and whistle with solid skill, too.

I think he delivers all the old-time/nostalgic appeal to the masses (hopefully bringing awareness to the less-than-appreciative jazz music public) and give some guitar nerds here a little something, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    I think Tim did five or six of those lessons. At one point, I had downloaded them all but I'm not sure I still have them.
    I love Travis picking, though I have a hard time feeling comfortable with a thumb pick. (Did you know Johnny Winter used a thumb pick ALL THE TIME? It boggles my mind that he could play all he did, as fast as he did, with a thumb pick. A blue Herco, I think.)

Here's Merle Travis doing his thing on "Lost John".
    Just that one lesson from Tim Lerch will occupy weeks and weeks of my time on the archtop. I'll get some version of it down...I appreciate the sharing of this. Thanks!