User Info Menu

Is it better to learn from a book VS come up with your own?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but in general, don't you get further down the road by ingraining a few simple patterns (mainly ii-V-I licks but could be any chord phrases) really well, than by a bunch of sophisticated patterns from someone else's brain? Your own patterns will be based on your own way of seeing the fingerboard and become the base template for variations that lead to endless variations.

I'm writing my own ii-V-I-VI licks and I'm interested in a general philosophy or approach to making patterns. Ex. starting on ii root- V root- I 3rd, ascending followed by descending, hit certain color notes, etc, etc. There are so many possibilities, it's actually difficult to settle on any one pattern. The process of variation actually starts before I even write it down the first time. Jimmie Vaughn famously said of brother Stevie, "He never played it the same way once." I know what he means.

I guess this is one reason to get them from a book. lol

Anyone have any personal rules or approaches to creating ii - V - I patterns? My first rule was to play only notes from the arpeggios. I think it's important to go through that stage before moving on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think both. A few more thoughts on II-V-I or other progression practice:

1. Yes you should be able to play arpeggios, voice led arpeggios, and chord outlines in at least 3 areas of the fret board for any given key. 5 areas is even better.

2. Simple arpeggios "first" is a good idea, but "first" doesn't mean months before, it means minutes before. Don't put off effective sounding chord outlines to some future rainy day. Learn them now.

3. Learn great ones from the masters and from books - and also vary them in your practice (that will help personalize them). A lot of hard work has been done by the masters, don't make the mistake of ignoring it.

4. When it comes to #3, above, be selective. A lot of patterns in books sounds like.... meh.

5. Come up with your own. These will force you to think harder and may likely lead to better memorization - but - that doesn't mean they'll sound better than patterns from #3 (they may not )
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 09-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.