The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 76
    This study group is based on the book, Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Post a video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

September 1 - Week 26: patterns 65-67
    September 8 - Week 27 (reboot/catchup Week): patterns 68-71
    September 15 - Week 28: patterns 68-71 (blues changes)
    September 22 - Week 29: patterns 72-73
    September 29 - Week 30: patterns 72-73 (rhythm changes)

Please, state the BPM you're using, which pattern(s) you're posting, and additional info re backing (Drum Genius style #'s etc). Please state whether you would like comments on your playing.

Also, please feel free to continue to post in these threads if you're newly finding them or otherwise want to participate after the deadlines.

From October 2019 forward, the posting schedule will be open, according to the wishes of individual would-be participants. Please continue to post as you like.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-01-2019 at 11:49 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Week 27- Patterns 68-71 at 144bpm (except for 69, which was around 136 I think.)

Based on "Patterns for Jazz" by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Alright, looking a little grim for patterns for jazz. :-) check in with me , if you're still there.

This week is last week's pattern applied to blues. please feel free to join in for the first time, or rejoin if you dropped off a few weeks ago. Here are some thoughts on this week's :

User Info Menu

I'm still plugging away, but progress has been slow. I'm in the middle of a theory book project, so practice has been sporadic. I've got 60 ready to record while working on 61 and 62 and poking around at 63 and 64. These scale sequences are more challenging than I thought they would be. I thought I would just blow through them.

I plan to just keep plugging away at it and posting whenever it's ready and I have an afternoon to do some recording.

User Info Menu

65(100bpm) and 66(freely) recorded with phone.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm still around but haven't posted. I'll get back on the horse this week.
    Not sure where I left off but I'll know the pattern when I see it in the book...

User Info Menu

Hi Matt and others, I'm also still here. Making slow progress, just completed 40 & 41

User Info Menu

[Oops. Wrong video! ;o) ]

Here is #69 and #68 at 92 bpm

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

A Jackie King exercise involving a sequence.
    -16th notes
    -In each group of four, notes one and four are picked; notes 2 and 3 are slurred.
    -Start at the 12th fret and work down to the nut. (This is easier said than done. If your left arm gets sore along the way, stop. Endurance will come.
    -It's a great warm-up. Much more of a workout for the left hand / arm than the right, but the mix of picked notes and slurs is useful.

I'm still no great shakes at this but I'm so much better at than I was when I started, it feels near-miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    [Oops. Wrong video! ;o) ]

Here is #69 and #68 at 92 bpm

Nice, Mark. Solid with that click. Good job.

Pattern 65:

A pattern 72 variation:

Pattern up, dominant scale down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Pattern up, dominant scale down.
    I like that pattern up, dominant scale down approach!

Thought I was doing pretty well with 73 through 75 or so , until I checked out the upper tempo range. I'm not quite there yet, even at the slower tempo ...116bpm I think.... Anyway, this is where I'm at this week:

User Info Menu

#70 and #71 from this morning. I don't practice the chromatic and whole-step progressions as much as the cycle and minor third ones. It shows, I know. But I'm benefitting from this work and am grateful to Matt for starting this group and to all those who keep it going.

A rough edit chopped off the first couple notes. Oops!

User Info Menu

Okay, here is #73 and #74 (triplet patterns) at 80 bpm. Did these yesterday, along with 70 and 71. Thought I did 72 too but can't seem to find it just now...

I may be playing the rhythm wrong on this one, 74. I'm playing it as a triplet with a pickup but it's actually just triplets. Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Okay, here is #73 and #74 (triplet patterns) at 80 bpm. Did these yesterday, along with 70 and 71. Thought I did 72 too but can't seem to find it just now...

I may be playing the rhythm wrong on this one, 74. I'm playing it as a triplet with a pickup but it's actually just triplets. Sorry about that!

Good work, Mark!

User Info Menu

In case anyone wonders what I have on my wrists, they are Wrist Grips. They apply compression (tight as you like) and I've found this helpful with pain, esp in my right hand. (Sometimes my wrists hurt in the night. My fiance says I hold my wrists at an odd angle when typing and I've done a lot of that in my day, so this may not be mainly the result of guitar playing, though the older I get, the more I realize that must matter.)

User Info Menu

Some audio trouble. Edit: 130 bpm.

User Info Menu

Hey, Matt, I just saw your video (above) of playing over the blues changes. I hadn't been doing that. But it's a good idea. I'll have to incorporate it in my practice.

User Info Menu

72 at 130 bpm. Way behind on our schedule, but I want to keep it up as best I can. (Edit: typos)

User Info Menu

Messing around with pattern 73:

Here's pattern 75 at 112 bpm:

112 bpm seems insane honestly. I would post a cleaner version at a slower tempo, but it doesn't seem to really help...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Here's pattern 75 at 112 bpm: ...
    Nice, Matt. That's the one I'm working on. It's coming along but not as fast as I would like.

User Info Menu

74 is killing me, I´m moving on.