The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I don't think there's a contradiction in saying Joe mastered the fretboard AND he played out of barre forms. And yes, it was CAGED. It's not my claim that he did that; it's his claim. And Ron Eschete figured out the same fingerings after listening to Joe; later he talked to Joe about it and Joe told him he'd gotten it right. So whatever chord he was playing, he knew all the notes around it. His fills are like that: very handy. ;o)
    I believe everthing can be related to simple barre chords or CAGED. Given that somethimes you are moving form one form to another while playing the line. I'm always attached to CAGED chord forms and the intervals of those forms when playing the exercises, even when I'm playing in one part of the neck.

As an extension these patterns can all be related to chord forms and at the same time be played in one part of the neck without overly relying on sliding the same pattern up the neck. All these different patterns can lead to certain "guitaristic paths". I like the guitar to sound like a guitar with all the guitar embelishments and idiosycrasies. I probaly need a video to adequately explain this thought.

The one pattern up the neck for me is a picking exercise for the most part as it is much easier on the brain and the left hand. But the one form sliding up the neck doesn't help fretboard knowledge or the ear, imo. Still, I will do it as a picking and speed exercise.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like to do the exercise in minor 3rds the best as that keeps me on my toes. I really don't like the half steps.

I'm thinking of the pattern as a theme or motif, and coming up with variations of that theme. Trying to use the idiosyncrasies of the guitar, sliding, bending, hammer ons, pull offs. The different fingerings will yeild different articulations, one reason to practice a big variety of fingerings for these exercises.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    Messing around with 58.
    Wow this is so good.

Even if I didn't know you were playing an exercise, if you were just jamming, I'd still say... Wow this is so good. Congrats.

I think this is a great example of what can be done using these patterns or in this case on of these patterns as a launching point. And, these patterns are usable and musical.

As and aside, is that a Guitar synth? If so it is tracking incredible well, even the glissandos!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

As and aside, is that a Guitar synth? If so it is tracking incredible well, even the glissandos!!
    Thanks a lot, Fep. And I really enjoyed how you “telefied” number 57!

Synth sounds on guitar are great. This is a patch on the Helix which emulates different GR500 sounds. So far the best synth guitar tracking I’ve found (the Meris Enzo is also pretty good, but a pain in the ass to dial in), but the patch is way to complicated for me, so any edits I’ve made of it sounded horrible. Midi guitar and different synths are the most fun, with endless possibilities, but harder to control. Whatever the patch or software, a balanced output and a precise pick helps, though.

User Info Menu

58 & 59, I think just 100 bpm, but that is all the patience I have for these.

58/59 always made me think of npr's all things considered...

58 & 59, I think just 100 bpm, but that is all the patience I have for these.

Sounds good to me, Frank. You always seem to make these sound more musical than just an exercise anyway.

User Info Menu

Ex 60, this one instead of all keys I instead did it in the 5 CAGED positions I use. All in the key of D going up the neck.

Trying to catch up, just one session for each pattern for the time being.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    58/59 always made me think of npr's all things considered...
    Hahaha! Maybe that was the temp music used in editing? (Edit: horrible English)

User Info Menu

Warts and all, tried to work this horizontally, vertically and diagonally

User Info Menu

63 & 64, ran this up and down and across the neck with no preconceived plan, so got tangled up a bit, better for each once I got rolling. My best keys are C A G E D, how about that. So, I did this in Eb to make it harder on myself.

Warts and all, tried to work this horizontally, vertically and diagonally
    And doing a good job of it.

63 & 64, ran this up and down and across the neck
    always very sensitive and musical, frank. Thanks for posting these.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser

Ebow?

User Info Menu

Ebow?
    Yeah. Had it for twenty years, still haven’t figured out how to change strings.