The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    Haha, is that you shouting at 00:35?
    Ha. No. That's my son killing zombies in the next room. :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Recorded this yesterday but didn't get around to posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Recorded this yesterday but didn't get around to posting it.

Thanks for posting Mark. You certainly have the notes . Are you still doing the 3nps?

I'm up little whiny today. My recording setup is kind of crap right now. Camera issues etc. Back to doing this on my phone I guess . No click. Here's my catch up for last week. Pretty rough:

Here's one for this week as well . It's very much a rough run-through, complete with restarts etc. I really can't do heavy editing on my phone with this kind of thing, and I don't have anymore time for it for the next week or so. The minor third cycles I just played a few times. Skip 10 seconds ahead on the minor third cycles each time, if you don't like clams . :-)
    I'm going out of town for a week and will most definitely be off grid, as regards video recording etc. I may check in and post here or there. I'll rerecord a decent version of these when I get back, if I can manage it.

All comments and critiques appreciated.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-19-2019 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Matt,

Still sounds grooving to me.

But we always want critiques.

So I will share something that I noticed in my own playing that I heard in your 50 & 51 patterns.

When you pick going down to the high E--down to the floor in a vertical manner--your time is pretty solid. Your eighths have just the right amount of lilt--and there's an even-ness to the notes that is colored by accents to bring out the line

However, when you pick "against gravity" and up towards the low E--up to the ceiling in a vertical manner--your time waivers a little. It's not as solid. I think this is a huge thing to address--because I see it in my playing as well. It's more challenging to pick upward to the low E than it is to go down.

That said, you did this all without a metronome and you kept it stable throughout.

Comment sandwich, with pickles and cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Matt,

Still sounds grooving to me.

But we always want critiques.

So I will share something that I noticed in my own playing that I heard in your 50 & 51 patterns.

When you pick going down to the high E--down to the floor in a vertical manner--your time is pretty solid. Your eighths have just the right amount of lilt--and there's an even-ness to the notes that is colored by accents to bring out the line

However, when you pick "against gravity" and up towards the low E--up to the ceiling in a vertical manner--your time waivers a little. It's not as solid. I think this is a huge thing to address--because I see it in my playing as well. It's more challenging to pick upward to the low E than it is to go down.

That said, you did this all without a metronome and you kept it stable throughout.

Comment sandwich, with pickles and cheese
    Thanks, Irez. I'll check this out.

Outstanding comment sandwich by the way. Your educational training Is in full effect. :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Thanks for posting Mark. You certainly have the notes . Are you still doing the 3nps?
    Yes, still doing 3 nps. I put more time in daily on that than this. For this, though, I'm not using 3 nps fingerings. I feel a renewed interest in this (PFJ) material, though. I see the value and seek the benefit, so I'll keep working at it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Irez. I'll check this out.

Outstanding comment sandwich by the way. Your educational training Is in full effect. :-)
    After grading a billion and one essays, you gotta serve up those comment sandwiches fast... thank goodness for the summer

I have to post. This week was hectic. Wife was away and baby was all mine... Yikes. I give single parents SO MUCH CREDIT!

I'll have a little time next week to post some more--I gotta play ketchup...

I think someone mentioned this in another study group, but it would be interesting to apply these patterns to a tune--even something modal?

I suck at modal playing, so I'll put my neck out on the line next week... before my parents visit (I just got done with my in laws... [in a Princess Leila voice] "patterns for jazz study group, you're my only hope")

Someone braver than I took one of our patterns and applied it to Giant Steps... I need baby steps right now

User Info Menu

52 and 53 at 140bpm. New guitar and limited practise time on these ones, so no need for comments this time.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

54 and 55 140bpm. Definitely deadline versions.

User Info Menu

Greetings all
    I"m back from 6 weeks in Israel doing historical geography and archaeology. I'm about re-acclamated to my home time zone, so I will start working again on this group. I plan to play through the patterns I missed but I likely will not post clips. When I'm caught up to where you all are, wherever that ends up being, I'll start posting again.

User Info Menu

Lawson-stone is back.

Where did you go in Israel this time?

My mom was raised in Haifa. She always talks about how beautiful the Golan Heights are...

I still haven't visited.

My middle name, when I spell it right (a sign of my idiocy and a disconnect from my family history on my mother's side) means "tree that stands alone in the desert"

Anyway, glad your back.

I posted all of ONE video to this thread. I really gotta play ketchup!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Lawson-stone is back.

Where did you go in Israel this time?

My mom was raised in Haifa. She always talks about how beautiful the Golan Heights are...

I still haven't visited.

My middle name, when I spell it right (a sign of my idiocy and a disconnect from my family history on my mother's side) means "tree that stands alone in the desert"

Anyway, glad your back.

I posted all of ONE video to this thread. I really gotta play ketchup!
    We were pretty much all over. For 3 weeks we do an intensive "Bible in its World" course and travel over the whole country. Then we spend 3 weeks excavating at a site way up in the far north, just below the little town of Metula. We can see over into Lebanon from our site. I love the Golan, and we are in the upper Huleh basin on our site, which is lovely as well. The whole upper Galilee and Golan are wonderful except for the periodic missile attack. If I lived in Israel, I think I'd want to live in that north country.

A little sloppy. I've been gone and haven't really practiced these as much. 160 bpm on this is getting pretty fast for me:

I kind of forgot about #54 as well.

Pretty quiet lately. How's everyone doing with this? :-)

User Info Menu

Pretty quiet lately. How's everyone doing with this? :-)
    I'm still practicing. Spending most time with the 5864 2531 pattern in minor thirds.
    Actually recorded some videos over the weekend but haven't posted them yet. Ran into problems with my phone in transfering videos to my laptop. That problem has been solved. Perhaps later today I'll look at the videos again and post some or all of them.

I think the material is becoming more useful. I'm glad I'm still doing it. I just wish I was doing it better!

User Info Menu

I looked at ex. 55 and played it when my daughtie was sleeping...

Bad form, but she didn't wake up.

There's some more interesting fingering challenges that I worked out last night.

I wanna post a video, but... ergh, so much to do...

I wanted to post a video on Stablemates on the pianamo as well...

We'll see where the day takes me.

Pattern 55 is hard, btw. Good job with the challenge, Matt!

User Info Menu

Patterns 50 - 51 combined - all variations - 130 bpm

Here are patterns 50 and 51 combined into one drill for each variation. I'm still sticking to the working order of chromatic, 4ths, 2nds, minor 3rds and using various positions and fingerings.

User Info Menu

Patterns 52-55 combined - all variations - 150 bpm

Here are the rest of this month's patterns combined into four drills. All are played as 8th notes at 150 bpm.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Great stuff, Frank. Good to see you, and thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

And from a straggler

User Info Menu

Done with July before November arrived.