The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50
    This study group is based on the book, Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Post a video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

July 07 - Week 18: patterns 48-49
    July 14 - Week 19: patterns 50-51
    July 21 - Week 20: patterns 52-53
    July 28 - Week 21: patterns 54-55

Please, state the BPM you're using, which pattern(s) you're posting, and additional info re backing (Drum Genius style #'s etc). Please state whether you would like comments on your playing.

Also, please feel free to continue to post in these threads if you're newly finding them or otherwise want to participate after the deadlines.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-03-2019 at 04:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

130 bpm. Comments welcome.

User Info Menu

This one gives me fits. The patterns aren't hard but knowing where to go to start the next one---that's hard for me. I'll get it. But I sure ain't got it yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This one gives me fits. The patterns aren't hard but knowing where to go to start the next one---that's hard for me. I'll get it. But I sure ain't got it yet.

Think of the 5th of the next "melodic cell"?

I tried 49 and 50 today. I'm trying to stay strict to the pattern as written to expand my range. Well... you end up running out of guitar very quick if you take 49 and 50 as is...

Interesting stuff, none-the-less. I'll try to post my "whole fret board" approach this week, it's similar to the pattern I posted in C.

Have you tried the other cycles? The other three are a good warm-up for the minor thirds cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser

130 bpm. Comments welcome.
    Great technique, and I liked the camera angles. I'm a week behind , and you're a week ahead I guess.... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Great technique, and I liked the camera angles. I'm a week behind , and you're a week ahead I guess.... :-)
    Thanks, good to hear since I’ve been experimenting with the GoPro to find something useable. Rushing a head to jump start the new thread and I’m planning on going back and working the March patterns (I joined late).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I'll try to post my "whole fret board" approach this week, it's similar to the pattern I posted in C.
    Looking forward to it!

User Info Menu

Erik, that effect you have on your guitar--it kinda sounds like an organ--well, it's WILD! I love it.

Is it one of those pedals that adds a note, and alters the sound? I think Jim Hall used one right before he passed...

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that sound is WILD!

User Info Menu

Erik, that effect you have on your guitar--it kinda sounds like an organ--well, it's WILD! I love it.
    Cool that you like it! I’ve gotten it into my head that there’s a bonus in practicing single note stuff with monophonic synth sounds.
    It’s extra challenging to make it flow (and it sounds different).

(This is a patch for the Line 6 HXeffects emulating the old Metheny synth guitar sounds. It can sound a lot harsher with some tweaking. All run through an Yamaha UDstomp)

User Info Menu

Have you tried the other cycles? The other three are a good warm-up for the minor thirds cycle.
    Yes, Matt. I have little trouble with those. I actually recorded #48 yesterday too (the cycle) but got distracted and didn't post it. ;o)

Maybe when I record the next two, I'll add #48 as well.

User Info Menu

I'm a week behind , and you're a week ahead I guess.... :-)

I'm falling behind too. I didn't get a lot of quality practice time in this last week or so due to the wife and I restructuring some career goals.

I'm hoping t get something posted by today or tomorrow for patterns 48 and 49.

User Info Menu

A month ago I hyperextended my right knee. For a couple weeks I couldn't take a normal step. (I wore a brace and carried a cane.) Now I'm pretty much back to normal. Not all the way but maybe 90 %. One of the things I noticed was that I couldn't rest my guitar on my right thigh and practice for long without pain. So I went back to wearing a strap (while seated). It had been a long time since I wore a strap. Now I'm used to it and think I may keep at it even when my knee is back to normal. (I have used a Dynarette guitar cushion for a few years now.)

I hope July is a better month for my aging body (and my guitar playing) than June was. In the great scheme of things, it was a minor inconvenience. But an inconvenience nonetheless. ;o)

User Info Menu

I hope July is a better month for my aging body (and my guitar playing) than June was. In the great scheme of things, it was a minor inconvenience. But an inconvenience nonetheless. ;o)
    Hope you’re feeling better! All in all, using the strap while sitting has it’s advantages to.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I thought one fep was enough, but two?

Nice groove, and the way the light washes everything out a bit looks pretty cool an ethereal (seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Very hip. Thanks for this Frank.
    I thought one fep was enough, but two?
    Yep. There's only one thing better than a fep post.... double fep. :-)

Here's me on 48 & 49. Comments welcome:

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    Cool that you like it! I’ve gotten it into my head that there’s a bonus in practicing single note stuff with monophonic synth sounds.
    It’s extra challenging to make it flow (and it sounds different).

(This is a patch for the Line 6 HXeffects emulating the old Metheny synth guitar sounds. It can sound a lot harsher with some tweaking. All run through an Yamaha UDstomp)
    How about these picks that you're using in the last couple of vids?

User Info Menu

Ex 49 110 bpm and then 130 bpm

I'll explain these chord choices later. Dinner beckons.

User Info Menu

Back from dinner.

Ex 49..

First cell "C" with the notes of G E D C, so I'm looking for chords that those notes will fit...

Cmaj7 or C7 or C/D, G E D C = 5 3 9 1
    Am7 G E D C = b7 5 11 b3
    Fmaj G E D C = 9 7 11 5
    E7 G E D C = #9 R b7 #5

So for the first cell I came up with these chord options: Cmaj7 C7 C/D Am7 Fmaj9 E7alt

Unfortunately I didn't consider Bbmaj7 and Bb7 where G E D C = 13 #11 3 9 that's a really useful one. I do improvise off of that at the end of the faster take of the exercise playing a D major cell A F# E D over the final Cmaj7 chord, but that came out spontaneously and is how I realized that I missed the lydian one.

So I noted all these options on the 1st image below, (I got lazy for the last 4 chords, but you get the idea)

And picking and choosing what sounded interesting I came up with the chord progression in image 2 below.

Useful stuff I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images Patterns for Jazz Study Group - July 2019-reharm-options-png Patterns for Jazz Study Group - July 2019-progression-jpg 

User Info Menu

Patterns 48-49 combined all variations 130 bpm

Ok. I finally managed to get some practicing done and some recording done. I did the same thing with this set of patterns as I did with the last set. I combined all four variations in the original order and played them all as 8ths at 130 bpm.

User Info Menu

How about these picks that you're using in the last couple of vids?
    I’ve got an ever growing collection, nowhere near finding a favourite.

Loads of cool stuff going on here. Great work guys!

User Info Menu

Here's me on 48 & 49. Comments welcome
    Haha, is that you shouting at 00:35?

User Info Menu

Yep. There's only one thing better than a fep post.... double fep. :-)
    Hoping for triofep some time in the future!