The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 133

User Info Menu

While testing out angles and ways to record I made takes of 41 and 42. I try doing quarter note triplets over the backing track, but I’m really a fish out of water, having never done anything similar before. Any criticism on both playing and recording is welcome (even harsh), so I can continue working throughout the week with better results.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These triplets are hard as hell.

User Info Menu

Patterns for Jazz #40. Deadline version. Comments welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    While testing out angles and ways to record I made takes of 41 and 42. I try doing quarter note triplets over the backing track, but I’m really a fish out of water, having never done anything similar before. Any criticism on both playing and recording is welcome (even harsh), so I can continue working throughout the week with better results.

No criticism . I'm just wondering why you are recording these doubletime? 8th note triplets lay in pretty nicely on most of the medium tempo swing styles on Drum Genius for me. Anyway, sounds good otherwise. Just curious. I think it would be cool to get some experience hearing them that way for sure.

I'll try to get versions of a few of these up today. I'm all talk lately. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Patterns for Jazz #40. Deadline version. Comments welcome.

Thanks for posting Jim. Nice stuff on you're YouTube channel as well.

User Info Menu

Can I join late? I was really frustrated with the Patterns for Jazz book when I got it. The studies looked nowhere near as exciting as Oliver Nelson's Patterns for Improvisation--we should do that volume next--GOOD STUFF.

Anyway, after hearing all of the posts everyone has been doing--I'm not only impressed, but I can hear the potential for music in the context of an improvisation in these studies. I really couldn't hear that before.

I saw mention of 3 nps somewhere here. I was wondering if anyone tried the same pattern with: different fingers, different positions, trying to get most of the pattern on: 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings--etc? That could open up some more possibilities.

Oh, if I join, do I have to post my progress in Youtube form or can I do it with Soundcloud? I'm a teacher by day, so posting stuff on Youtube--or any social media--makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Can I join late? I was really frustrated with the Patterns for Jazz book when I got it. The studies looked nowhere near as exciting as Oliver Nelson's Patterns for Improvisation--we should do that volume next--GOOD STUFF.

Anyway, after hearing all of the posts everyone has been doing--I'm not only impressed, but I can hear the potential for music in the context of an improvisation in these studies. I really couldn't hear that before.

I saw mention of 3 nps somewhere here. I was wondering if anyone tried the same pattern with: different fingers, different positions, trying to get most of the pattern on: 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings--etc? That could open up some more possibilities.

Oh, if I join, do I have to post my progress in Youtube form or can I do it with Soundcloud? I'm a teacher by day, so posting stuff on Youtube--or any social media--makes me nervous.
    Yes. Please feel free to join in.

Regarding video, I prefer video formats personally, but you can post whatever. In terms of anonymity, I have other YouTube accounts. Some are nameless and headless.

User Info Menu

It's always nice to see you play, but soundcloud works too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    No criticism . I'm just wondering why you are recording these doubletime? 8th note triplets lay in pretty nicely on most of the medium tempo swing styles on Drum Genius for me. Anyway, sounds good otherwise. Just curious. I think it would be cool to get some experience hearing them that way for sure.
    None taken, and thanks for the feedback! I just fooled around doing them with different metronome or play along settings and found this was hardest for me to do properly.

User Info Menu

Can I join late?
    Welcome! Interesting idea with the 1, 2 or more strings thing.

User Info Menu

Can I join late? .
    By all means! Glad to have you.

User Info Menu

Wanted to play all 3 in one take. And allow myself to take the last one a bit slower.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Jim. Nice stuff on you're YouTube channel as well.
    Thank you, Matt!

User Info Menu

Patterns for Jazz #41 for deadline. Comments welcome.

User Info Menu

I pretty much agree, the patterns are not very exciting and much (most?) of it I wouldn't consider vocabulary building. I see them more as technical excersises, learning the neck and working out the various shapes. To that end I think it is a good idea to stay roughly in the same position/area of the neck when running through them forcing one to play all the shapes. Also, good for picking practice.

Much better than just practicing scales.

User Info Menu

I haven't yet read ahead in the book. Do any of the future exercises get more interesting, i.e., out of the ionian mode and into some potentially usable lines?

Next week begins 1235 patterns, eventually pick up patterns in dominant mixolydian and Dorian for minor. Then, there are a lot of II-V patterns .

Interesting. I found the very old thread on the forum about this book , and basically they were talking about just starting with the 1235 patterns , because they're more interesting. I've gotten a lot out of the previous ones in terms of just firming up fretboard etc. the upcoming ones would be much more difficult without it in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Patterns for Jazz #42 for deadline. Comments welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I haven't yet read ahead in the book. Do any of the future exercises get more interesting, i.e., out of the ionian mode and into some potentially usable lines?

Yes, they do.
    It's actually good to start when the patterns are simple becuase you get into the habit of posting and it's not much work to learn the patterns.
    Later on, things get more involved and different people will make different decisions about how they want to get the patterns under their fingers.

Chromatic lower neighbors and enclosures follow after 1235's I think.

User Info Menu

Next week begins 1235 patterns, eventually pick up patterns in dominant mixolydian and Dorian for minor. Then, there are a lot of II-V patterns .
    The 1235 pattern is very important. It's the main pattern Coltrane used in his "Giant Steps" solo. It's a flexible pattern too, works over a major or dominant chord, it's most of tha major pentatonic scale...

Our own Jens Larsen has a good short video on them.

Here's 38-40, mistakes and all. Any critique appreciated.

Among other things, I'm really not an electric player, and my second string is so much louder than the others. I've never done anything with adjusting pickups, but it's probably time for me to get after it.

Any thoughts on tone etc otherwise are especially appreciated.

User Info Menu

Among other things, I'm really not an electric player, and my second string is so much louder than the others. I've never done anything with adjusting pickups, but it's probably time for me to get after it. .
    Me neither, but it was a big deal to Herb Ellis and someone recently posted a video hereabouts showing what Herb did. Herb's idea was simple: every string should be the same volume. He achieved this by adjusting the screws in the pickups. Well, here's the video describing what Herb did.

(I found this on YouTube. It's posted somewhere else on the Forum.)

User Info Menu

Patterns for Jazz #43 for deadline. Got a little bored with playing these straight so decided to try to make a little music out of this one. Comments welcome.

User Info Menu

Patterns for Jazz #44 for deadline. Comments welcome.