Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi Everybody!!!!

    I know that this could be a silly question but as a beginner I was wondering about what is the best way to play double-stops (diads) with the pick?. In this moment I'm re-studying the Jody Fisher's method "Mastering Chord- Melody" and I found some exercises that require to play double-stops. What kind of pick movement should I use to play these exercises?

    A) Down Strokes and Up strokes
    B) Only Down strokes
    C) Hybrid picking (Pick with midlle finger)

    This is an example of one of the exercises that I'm practicing. How to play Double-stops (Diads) with a pick??????-1-jpg


    I'll appreciate your help.
    Last edited by cachalote; 05-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I guess I'd use hybrid (pick and middle finger) for that but I'm just so used to it that it comes naturally to me without any consideration if that's the right way.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I use any of those variants as I wish at any moment. There is no best, they are all good, you make the choice based on what you like or more comfortable for a situation.

    In your example, assuming you strum the chords, I'd downpick all of it.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I would probably down pick it, but I would suggest practicing down pick and hybrid
    White belt
    My Youtube

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    The score for the exercise is without marks that would indicate how to play (no ties, no accents, etc.) for a reason - for you to explore.

    Some double stops are played in synchrony, others with a deliberate "double plink", others staggering and overlapping the second note slightly, etc... to get the sounds of Funk, Latin, Country, etc...

    Experiment with techniques to play double stops in as many ways and musical styles as possible so that when reading a song score with marks indicating how they are intended to sound, you'll be familiar with that style's specific sounds and the method(s) to achieve them.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I use any of those variants as I wish at any moment. There is no best, they are all good, you make the choice based on what you like or more comfortable for a situation.

    In your example, assuming you strum the chords, I'd downpick all of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    I would probably down pick it, but I would suggest practicing down pick and hybrid
    Thanks for the advice, I'll practe these exercises with both techniques (downpicking and hybrid picking).

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    In that sopecific case I would just strum downwards

    or other most probable thisb I would do is playing it with muddle and ring fingers... (which is not in your list I guess)

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I would play those double-stops (major and minor thirds) using downstrokes only.

    And if the highest note of the double-stop is on any string other than the 1st string, I would be doing rest stroke picking as well - where my pick would end up resting on the 1st string if the highest note of the double-stop was on the 2nd string (as an example).

    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    College Level Chord Melody Guitar Course

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I'm feeling bad because if the tempo on the up-side, I would play those double-stops "down-up", and a bit sloppy. It's not like I have an option...
    Build bridges, not walls.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    The first thing I suggest doing is to ignore the TAB. If I knew for absolute certainty that Jody himself tabbed that out, (little surprised if he did) I would play it that way before exploring other options across the fingerboard. If I knew for absolute certainty that Jody did not specifically tab that out, I would completely ignore the tab as presented because I don’t like it.
    Jody Fischer is amazing. I’ve got one of his CD’s and it is mind blowing how good he is. I’m not a huge fan of solo electric guitar but for sure there’s no one out there that does it better than Jody.
    Oh yeah, to answer the OP, play it every way you can think of and choose the technique that sounds best, realizing that in a different piece of music, a different technique may be what works best. Choose the technique that serves the music best.
    Ignorance is agony.



  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    In that sopecific case I would just strum downwards

    or other most probable thisb I would do is playing it with muddle and ring fingers... (which is not in your list I guess)
    Thanks, that's a good idea! I'll practice these exercises in that way too.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    I would play those double-stops (major and minor thirds) using downstrokes only.

    And if the highest note of the double-stop is on any string other than the 1st string, I would be doing rest stroke picking as well - where my pick would end up resting on the 1st string if the highest note of the double-stop was on the 2nd string (as an example).

    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    College Level Chord Melody Guitar Course
    Thanks for the advice.