The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

This just blew my mind... Check out 30 seconds into this video, where the guy is strumming and playing the melody at the same time:

This, along with the Roy Smeck, The Wizard of the Strings video, made me realize that when it comes to strumming I'm a complete ignoramus. Need to get some schooling in the subject, and not just flail my right hand about in the general vicinity of the bridge.

So, does this technique (strum+melody) have a name? How do you even begin to practice this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's just finger style Latin. Gaining a little background in classical guitar will help you get there. Go for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    It's just finger style Latin. Gaining a little background in classical guitar will help you get there. Go for it!
    Yeah, or flamenco! Rumbas and boleros on nylon string guitar you'd use very similar technique.

User Info Menu

7 string guitar btw. Is it Russian/Gypsy guitar? Who else would make or use one?

User Info Menu

Search Jake Reichbart, who post on this forum. I think he gives hand on lessons, too.

User Info Menu

You mean like melody and strumming at the same time? I did take some classical guitar lessons back in the day (mostly learning some simple fingerstyle pieces and Giuliani-style arpeggios). But never saw this technique he is using, where he strums in the 2 and 4 while keeping the melody going. It looks like he is picking the melody with an inward curl of the i-m-a fingers, and strumming with an outward flick of same.

First time I see this technique. Like turning Chet Atkins inside-out. Most cool -- with this and the Allan Reuss chord melody soloing lesson they posted in the Chord Melody section, you can get rid of all your bandmates oops did I just say that?

User Info Menu

Egberto Gismonti?

User Info Menu

Brazilian 7-string, 7th is a low B here, rest of guitar standard tuning. Flamenco rubato is closest to this style, although his is home-made with some country-western things included.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Brazilian 7-string, 7th is a low B here, rest of guitar standard tuning. Flamenco rubato is closest to this style, although his is home-made with some country-western things included.
    Cool, thanks for the info. That's very different from Russian 7 str one, where I found out it's usually open G tuning. I should've known, I'm Russian and I saw people play it, but never thought of what tuning they use.

User Info Menu

He's really doing a combination of plucking and strumming mixed together.

I hear some of the rumba - flamenco guitarists doing that.

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Howard Alden Strums Four to the Floor and picks the melody on the upstrokes, I think it's a cool idea:

watch from 2:30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Flamenco rubato is closest to this style, although his is home-made with some country-western things included.
    Yes, I had never seen this type of technique (I'm not a super-expert in classical guitar, of course). It's kind of the complement to the 1 and 5 on the bass that Chet Atkins plays.

User Info Menu

Have seen Alden at many house concerts; he would play at this house when he also had major gigs in Los Angeles. Only about 40 people. He would always play two songs solo using the techniques shown in the above. For old-school type playing Alden has a very advanced technique. Of course he picked things up from Van Epps (only saw them once, a year or so before Van Epps passed).
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-27-2019 at 12:19 PM.