The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Trying something I don't do often and haven't recorded for these patterns yet... Economy picking. I'm having some difficulties with the economy picking and will include it more in my future practice. Rhythmically it's harder for me, but I think it's a very clean way to pick.
    Great work on the economic picking. I’m guessing it’s also a nice guitar, but you make that Tele sound really good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's this week's round. All exercises are at 152 bpm.

Pattern 29 - open position with no shifts

Pattern 30 - fifth position with no shifts

Pattern 31 - starting in 4th position and working off fingers 1, 2 and 4 from the A and D strings

Pattern 32 - starting each set of four from the 8th fret with the 2nd finger

User Info Menu

So, I was going through patterns 33-36 and then switching them around in pattern 37 and changed my mind on how I'd prefer to do them. 37 is going to take a different set of fingerings to flow well unlike before where it was just a mater of swapping ascending and descending with the same fingering. So, for me 37 is four new exercises.

I can work out all eight variations if everybody decides that's the way to go, though. Are the polls still open?

User Info Menu

Hadn't thought of playing 'em in open position - I'll have to think about that first...nice

Here's mine for last week. Patterns 29-32...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I am still in the game folks. Hope to have something posted here pretty soon.

Epecially good job on those triplets. Difficult to play that cleanly. Thanks for posting, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I am still in the game folks. Hope to have something posted here pretty soon.
    I have been horribly lax with everything the last month or so. Got my girl graduated, and I'm very quickly approaching a time when there's basically less to do in the garden etc. Tomatoes and zucchini are looking pretty good.

So, time to get back to guitar stuff. Are you traveling this summer, or it is that every couple of years or so?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I have been horribly lax with everything the last month or so. Got my girl graduated, and I'm very quickly approaching a time when there's basically less to do in the garden etc. Tomatoes and zucchini are looking pretty good.

So, time to get back to guitar stuff. Are you traveling this summer, or it is that every couple of years or so?
    I'm headed out to Israel with students on June 9, returning July 20. We're doing our usual 3 weeks of historical geography followed by 3 weeks of excavation on an archaeological site with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. So from about June 4 or so until the end of July, I'll not be posting clips. I will be able to read the forum and participate in discussion, but for 6 weeks I won't even have a guitar physically available to play!

So I do hope to complete May's patterns before leaving the country. Then I'll likely double up and try to bang through June-July more quickly to get caught up by the end of August.

User Info Menu

On 27 I did an Eric Johnson sort of trick. He'll often play sequences were he alternates the first note of each sequence between and upbeat and a downbeat. By changing the last note from a quarter note to an eighth note this kind of thing happens. I thought it sounded kind of cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    On 27 I did an Eric Johnson sort of trick. He'll often play sequences were he alternates the first note of each sequence between and upbeat and a downbeat. By changing the last note from a quarter note to an eighth note this kind of thing happens. I thought it sounded kind of cool.

Nicely done. I agree that beat displacement sounded pretty cool.

User Info Menu

I've started working on 3 nps scale fingerings, so every scale pattern (at this stage, for me) begins with the index finger. (I'm using Steve Crowell's "84 Jazz Guitar Equations".)

Either today (Sunday) or tomorrow (Memorial Day), I'll go over the major scale ex in the PFJ book this way and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Hi guys! I have been lurking this study group for a while and waiting for my copy of the book arrive. Well, the book finally arrived and I'm hoping to join your group. I have to come up a plan to catch you. What do you guys think, is it better to play these excercises from the beginning? I was thinking of another way, where i would try make the weekly excercises and at the same time work on earlier patterns. Thanks Matt for setting up study group

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Hi guys! I have been lurking this study group for a while and waiting for my copy of the book arrive. Well, the book finally arrived and I'm hoping to join your group. I have to come up a plan to catch you. What do you guys think, is it better to play these excercises from the beginning? I was thinking of another way, where i would try make the weekly excercises and at the same time work on earlier patterns. Thanks Matt for setting up study group
    Great.

I think whichever way you like. Posting older material only promotes group health IMO, and it encourages others to do the same. I've seen groups in the past where people felt the need to back out if not on pace. So far, we seem to have a very healthy display of people at different levels and different places in the book as well.

Thanks for joining in.

User Info Menu

Here are patterns 33-36. All are at 138 bpm.

I finally settled on doing the first three in strict position starting off the low E string and the last one starting off the low E, A and D strings with the middle finger for each set of four chords, respectively.

Pattern 33 - 138 bpm - 8th position

Pattern 34 - 138 bpm - 7th position
    - apologies for the camera going out of focus at the start of this one. By the time I caught it. I didn't have time to redo it. It's probably a good indication of my mental state while I was recording these, anyway.

Pattern 35 - 138 bpm - 5th position

Pattern 26 - 138 bpm
    - starting in 7th position and ending in 12th position

Patterns 33 thru 36 at 139 bpm:

Has anyone looked ahead enough to have an opinion on groupings for 5 weeks worth of patterns for June?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    Here are patterns 33-36. All are at 138 bpm.

I finally settled on doing the first three in strict position starting off the low E string and the last one starting off the low E, A and D strings with the middle finger for each set of four chords, respectively.
    Nice. Your endings always have me saying to myself that I need to do something more interesting, but then I do the lazy thing. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Great.

I think whichever way you like. Posting older material only promotes group health IMO, and it encourages others to do the same. I've seen groups in the past where people felt the need to back out if not on pace. So far, we seem to have a very healthy display of people at different levels and different places in the book as well.

Thanks for joining in.
    After giving it some thought, I will start from the beginning. I guess it makes more sense, since the patterns increase in difficulty as you progress with the book.

Has anyone looked ahead enough to have an opinion on groupings for 5 weeks worth of patterns for June?
    Tentative June schedule proposal:

June 2: pattern 37
    June 9: 38-40
    June 16: 41- 43
    June 23: 44-45
    June 30: 46-47

The last four weeks seem largely arbitrary I know. They're more like two-week groupings than logical one-week groupings, but it's a peculiar spot in the book.

Any thoughts?

Honestly, I'm really pleased with the freedom that everyone seems to feel in posting things whenever they're ready. I've always thought it kind of a double edged sword : if a study group has no dates or deadlines it just seems to get soft, but at the same time, very often things seem to fall off when people feel like they're getting behind or something. I'm really happy to see people posting things at different points in the book and even some new folks joining in.

Along those lines, I'd be interested in others input regarding WHERE to post etc. Is it best to just "let June be June" and post whatever you're doing currently, rather than posting in another thread which lines up better with PATTERN number etc? I'd almost think it's healthier to conversation etc to just do it by current month rather than going back to old pattern number etc?

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Nice. Your endings always have me saying to myself that I need to do something more interesting, but then I do the lazy thing. Good stuff.

I appreciate you saying that. I was concerned that I might be coming off as pretentious. It's really just part of my learning process, though.

I have a tendency toward understanding things intellectually and never really learning them on the fingerboard. If I were to go through this book on my own, I would probably hack on each exercise a couple of times and say to myself, "Yeah, I know that one." By turning each exercise into a little etude and making myself learn it so I can record it with no mistakes for the group, I'm forcing myself to actually go through the material and get it down.

User Info Menu

Tentative June schedule proposal:

June 2: pattern 37
    June 9: 38-40
    June 16: 41- 43
    June 23: 44-45
    June 30: 46-47

The last four weeks seem largely arbitrary I know. They're more like two-week groupings than logical one-week groupings, but it's a peculiar spot in the book.

Any thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to look ahead yet, but I imagine that would be a good outline.

Honestly, I'm really pleased with the freedom that everyone seems to feel in posting things whenever they're ready. I've always thought it kind of a double edged sword : if a study group has no dates or deadlines it just seems to get soft, but at the same time, very often things seem to fall off when people feel like they're getting behind or something. I'm really happy to see people posting things at different points in the book and even some new folks joining in.

Along those lines, I'd be interested in others input regarding WHERE to post etc. Is it best to just "let June be June" and post whatever you're doing currently, rather than posting in another thread which lines up better with PATTERN number etc? I'd almost think it's healthier to conversation etc to just do it by current month rather than going back to old pattern number etc?

Thoughts?

Having gone through several of the old study group threads, It's nice to have everything gathered into the relevant locations, even when posted years apart. It's also encouraging to see people come back in and post on the old threads. Many of these groups seem to go so far and then wither on the vine.

I see where you're coming from, though. Since this material doesn't really go by chapters, It would do just as well as an ongoing discussion. One danger that might present, though, is a breakdown in structure. Going through the old threads and graduating to each newer thread would provide a sense of focus like we've had in doing the material originally.

Ultimately, people are going to post when/where they choose. I don't know how much you can steer it.

User Info Menu

I agree with FWLineberrys above post on the way forward/gathering of information in set locations/threads. I think it’s perfectly fine that we are at different places in the book, since everything is organised very nice.

As for this weeks patterns I’m way behind on the necessary work, and this is probably the place in the book where I’d given up on my own out of boredom. I have about thirty guitar students a week, and I love every second of it (everything from Twinkle, Twinkle little Star to jazz standards), but it’s getting harder and harder to spend time “doing the workout” in my free time.

BUT watching through the different videos and posts here (lots of great work!) makes me want to get back on the horse again*!

edit: *not sure if that’s and English expression