The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59
    This study group is based on the book, Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Post a "deadline version" video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

May 5: 24-26

May 12: 27-28

May 19: 29-32

May 26: 33-36

Please, state the BPM you're using, which pattern(s) you're posting, and label the post "deadline version", (understanding that a more "final version" may take additional time etc). Please state whether you would like comments on your playing.

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Special thanks to Erik for kicking off May for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser

Only 24 and 25, never got round to working on 26.
    Any comments are welcome.

I've been just slammed with everything to do with end-of-year concerts and recitals, graduation and senior-year events for my daughter and a pretty big sound system installation for my church gig. Also, I installed 2 new raised beds at home for plants my wife had ordered which just wouldn't wait.

Sorry for not getting this thread up sooner. I still need to get a new card reader in order to post anything besides phone video. That may be all I can manage for this week anyway.

User Info Menu

While trying out a metronome app I had a go at pattern 26 to meet the deadline. At 140bpm it was very rough.

User Info Menu

I guess I need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills as well as my guitar technique. For some reason I thought we were responsible for five patterns this week, so that's what I worked on. They're recorded, so I might as well just post them.

For this group, I just tried to find a way/position to play each sequence that made some kind of musical sense. I couldn't come up with any way to make either 26 or 28 sound musically engaging, so I just did them as a picking exercise with the most difficult shapes for me to pick cleanly.

Pattern 24 - 152 bpm

Pattern 25 - 120 bpm

Pattern 26 - 144 bpm

Pattern 27 - 120 bpm

Pattern 28 - 120 bpm

I'm not sure what I'll work on this week. I may either forge ahead or use this week as an opportunity to dig back into some Pat Martino stuff that's been on the back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    I guess I need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills as well as my guitar technique. For some reason I thought we were responsible for five patterns this week, so that's what I worked on. They're recorded, so I might as well just post them.

For this group, I just tried to find a way/position to play each sequence that made some kind of musical sense. I couldn't come up with any way to make either 26 or 28 sound musically engaging, so I just did them as a picking exercise with the most difficult shapes for me to pick cleanly.
    Good stuff, Forrest.

I may have planted that seed for 5 patterns. In the original post on dividing these up, I mentioned that it's basically a 5-pattern grouping. So, 3+2 is the way we went with it. #28 is pretty technically challenging on guitar, and you're sounds great. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Good work on the patterns this week. I like how you made it flow, and comparing mine and yours 26, mine sounds very staccato. It inspires me to give it another go.

The app is Time Guru Metronome. Had it for a while but couldn’t figure it out when downloading it so forgot about it. Good for making patterns or different kind of rhythms but the really nice feature is the random muting of clicks.

User Info Menu

I'm still alive!

Sorry, video says it all.... I will try and catch up as soon as I can....

Mike

Patterns 24 thru 26

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Post a "deadline version" video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

May 5: 24-26

May 12: 27-28

May 19: 29-32

May 26: 33-36

I'm thinking of revising this to be....
    May 26: patterns 33-37

....Instead of the original of33-36. I always work on ascending and descending patterns together anyway. Thoughts?

User Info Menu

here's 24-26. For fun, I'm playing my 1970s Aria Pro II PE180, a fantastic L5ces copy, through a 1966 or so Silvertone (Sears) 1484 "Twin Twelve" head and using a Yamaha G100 210 as the cabinet. this is a sweet playing and sweet sounding combination.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 05-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

120bpm (both). Deadline versions.

User Info Menu

Been crazy on the homefront lately. Finally got mom placed in an assisted living facility. Now it's time to re-order my days and nights. It's a big (though welcome) adjustment. Have actually had some time to practice lately but my concentration and energy are near-non-existent. Hope things ease up for a good long while.

Patterns 27 & 28 at 120 bpm. I'm still zoomed in from a choir concert I guess. So, some of it is off-screen. Didn't have enough room to crop off the face either. :-) I really liked this drum genius waltz on #27. It's Swing 3/4 1 "All Blues".

I have fallen really behind on comments on these , but I'm really glad to see so many hanging in there. Great posts. I'm very grateful to have the group. I have been busier in the last three weeks or so than I've been in a very very long time, and I don't know that I would have done anything with this material for the last month or two without a deadline and other people doing it. So, thanks again, all.

User Info Menu

I have fallen really behind on comments on these , but I'm really glad to see so many hanging in there. Great posts. I'm very grateful to have the group. I have been busier in the last three weeks or so than I've been in a very very long time, and I don't know that I would have done anything with this material for the last month or two without a deadline and other people doing it. So, thanks again, all.

I had the same thought. I'm probably spending too much time on this material vs. other stuff I should be doing, but I'm finding the investment is paying off. My note/position/key recognition is definitely coming up. But I wouldn't be applying myself this way if I didn't have to record and post my results each week. In fact, this last week I got really lazy in my practice because I didn't have to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    I'm probably spending too much time on this material vs. other stuff I should be doing, but I'm finding the investment is paying off. My note/position/key recognition is definitely coming up.
    I'm finding the same benefit in note / position / key recognition. The movement in minor 3rds is especially good for me. Meaning, it came really hard for me! I wanted to play through the patterns without looking at the book and I kept getting lost! But I don't get lost as much lately. I think the next patterns---major scales---will really lock that it.

User Info Menu

Here's 27-28.

User Info Menu

Trying something I don't do often and haven't recorded for these patterns yet... Economy picking. I'm having some difficulties with the economy picking and will include it more in my future practice. Rhythmically it's harder for me, but I think it's a very clean way to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's 27-28.
    Good job. 28 is a beast. Watching this reminded me that I had sworn that I was going to keep playing this one once per day for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Trying something I don't do often and haven't recorded for these patterns yet... Economy picking. I'm having some difficulties with the economy picking and will include it more in my future practice. Rhythmically it's harder for me, but I think it's a very clean way to pick.
    Great Tele tone Frank. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

I’ll admit to being more interested in trying some new video-gear and editing stuff here. These exercises
    where also very boring
    Last edited by ErikWasser; 05-17-2019 at 09:45 AM.

The major scale patterns are good technical work if you really work on making them musical. I work on slurring into the beat as much as possible so that they swing more.

The attached 3rd position pdf has some examples of this with tab on the last page. I'll post video later.

User Info Menu

The major scale patterns are good technical work if you really work on making them musical. I work on slurring into the beat as much as possible so that they swing more.

The attached 3rd position pdf has some examples of this with tab on the last page. I'll post video later.
    Great work on the boxes, as usual! I couldn’t find a decent program, but I’ve made empty boxes on paper for some of my students who will be given some home assignments filling in arpeggios. Mind if I show them yours as an example, it’s so much clearer then my own scribbling? I won’t be handing them out, just showing them on my iPad.

The exercises are very useful. And I think next weeks will be fun once we’ve done the legwork on these.
    edit:typos
    Last edited by ErikWasser; 05-18-2019 at 08:19 AM.

. Mind if I show them yours as an example, it’s so much clearer then my own scribbling?
    Sure. Absolutely.

The exercises are very useful. And I think next weeks will be fun once we’ve done the legwork on these.
    Yeah. these picking techniques work really well on those too.