The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Currently experiencing problems with straightening RH index finger after say, 20 mins practice session (old injury now coming home to roost ) so pending investigations, thought I would try using thumb and middle finger ( currently using mouse on PC entirely with LH for same reason ). At first, this seemed a little awkward but now getting easier. Then I saw a clip of Mike Moreno and he appeared to being exactly that. Can anyone confirm this or does anyone else use this approach?

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen people hold picks that way. It's not my preferred grip, but that doesn't mean much.

User Info Menu

Carlos Santana

User Info Menu

I do that sometimes

User Info Menu

I do that, essentially I hold the pick between thumb and middle, the index just sort of touches the pick to stabilise it. I did it to get a better tone, it keeps the pick at an angle to the string.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny.

Bottom line? It's sub-optimal. But - the human body and mind are amazingly adaptive.

So if it keeps you in the game, go for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt

Bottom line? It's sub-optimal. But - the human body and mind are amazingly adaptive.

So if it keeps you in the game, go for it!
    exactly!..by any means necessary

but...other option might be to try a thumbpick...

any hybrid pickers out there (see james burton) would not want to waste an extra finger holding a pick!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I do that, essentially I hold the pick between thumb and middle, the index just sort of touches the pick to stabilise it. I did it to get a better tone, it keeps the pick at an angle to the string.
    Just watched you on How Deep is the Ocean (enjoyed that) and that would seem to be entirely comfortable and natural for you Graham. My problem is, that up to this point I have played 'pick + three fingers' and a thumb pick is difficult for my huge pouce! Hopefully, things will improve. Saw a chiropractor yesterday who specializes in hands and after pulling arm, shoulder and neck around + hand manipulation things do seem a little better. Now ordered not to play for 36 hours.

User Info Menu

Thanks. It does make it harder to do hybrid picking but to be honest I have never done much of that. Actually I just tried it, and I can do it by transferring pick control from middle to index finger as it were.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thanks. It does make it harder to do hybrid picking but to be honest I have never done much of that. Actually I just tried it, and I can do it by transferring pick control from middle to index finger as it were.
    That thumb and second finger pick hold is the method players use for harmonics - Tal F, Larry C, Jack G .......if your index finger needs a rest every twenty minutes, maybe a solo fill of harmonics would help.

Good luck !

i always do it. i was using pics that were too thin when i was learning and developing and so i would curve them to make them stiffer by using my thumb and two fingers. then as i gained better control and moved to thicker picks, i was able to release my index finger. although it does mostly touch the pick edge to insure the pick stays where i want it. haven't dropped a pick in years but i also dont play hybrid and have no desire to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    That thumb and second finger pick hold is the method players use for harmonics - Tal F, Larry C, Jack G
    That's interesting! When I first started playing (years+ ago) I held the pick with my middle finger so that I could use my index for harmonic squeals. I wanted to be Eddie Van Halen so bad, but I couldn't figure out how he did the harmonics just with the thumb, plus I could do the tapping stuff as well.

I've "corrected" myself since, but I honestly don't see why there should be any problem with gripping the pick this way.