The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

What type of chair do most of you use? I'm having back muscle issues. I use an office chair without arms. I've tried playing with a strap and sitting against the back with good posture and at the chairs full height. I've sat on the edge of the chair keeping my back straight. I've played without using a strap and lowering the chairs height, and I've even tried a foot rest. Does playing an archtop seated torque the back more than a solid body would? I'm sure a lot of it is due to my age, taking a decade off and starting back up with my first ever archtop a year ago. In the past I've used metal folding chairs or the old wood classroom chairs, but that was a long time ago. It's more than frustrating. I'll play for a couple weeks, then I need to stop for a bit. I didn't think the pain was being caused by the archtop until recently. I eliminated the other things I was doing and, now I know it's the cause of the back issues.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Office chair without arms, and using a strap. Sometimes I put a cushion between my back and the chair for extra support.

As far as I know, the best posture is to keep the back straight, no slouching or twisting the spine. This is why I use a strap.

User Info Menu

Mostly a straight wooden chair. I sometimes use an office chair, but raised as high as it will go with a cushion, so that it's almost like a high stool. I do not like office chairs for playing.

User Info Menu

Depends: at home just sitting on the couch (not the best ergonomic option...). At gigs - if I'm not standing up I use a bar stool with the legs cut off a good bit and using a strap.

User Info Menu

There's always "the guitar chair". It's more for classical playing and a raised left foot, admittedly.

Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/910Q0esk2JL._SY741_.jpg

Another possibility. Have you tried a really high quality piano bench? I've switched to that after seeing a number of classical players use them. If you go that route, don't go cheap.

And has been said, good posture, straight back, shoulders back, guitar tilted up, and play strapped.

User Info Menu

It sounds to me like you would get at least some benefit from a good physical therapist. I am old and this has helped me a great deal. It is amazing how many bad habits that we don't even notice sneak in and make life less enjoyable.

User Info Menu

When I was gigging I used a steel-framed kitchen chair for many years. It was perfect in every dimension for me, rock solid, and upside-down on the passenger seat of my car provided storage for gigging essentials. One more thing to lug around, but having a consistent playing environment was very helpful. I hope your back issues can be resolved ( I found wearing the instrument at chest height really helped [for me]). Good luck!

User Info Menu

I found the Pick N Glider to be sturdy and comfortable. It glides silently if you want to. It is not as portable as some.

What type of seating used when playing?-pick-jpg

Pick N Glider Musician's Chair Navy Blue | Guitar Center
    Attached Images Attached Images What type of seating used when playing?-pick-png 

User Info Menu

Why do you need to glide? Just curious

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Why do you need to glide? Just curious
    You don't need to glide, but you can if you'd like. It's like rocking in a chair but more stable.

The had the chair by our TV as a general purpose sitting place. Quite a few people would start gliding a little while talking or watching TV. It's relaxing.

I don't glide when I'm playing. That's worse than walking and chewing gum.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. I think once I get out walking again I'll be fine. The weather here is a lot better now. I had issues like this before. Walking made a huge difference. Actually I had been running 3+ miles / 2.5 K a day. Then on 11/8/16 (election day) I unexpectedly lost one of my younger sisters. I haven't done much (got fat ) since then. But I'll get there again. I also need to remember to take breaks. I can hyper focus and before I know it a couple hours can pass by and I'm still seated and working on the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Office chair without arms, and using a strap. Sometimes I put a cushion between my back and the chair for extra support.

As far as I know, the best posture is to keep the back straight, no slouching or twisting the spine. This is why I use a strap.
    Me too with the strap. I use a metal gray folding chair. It is not particularly comfortable but beats playing on the floor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    You don't need to glide, but you can if you'd like. It's like rocking in a chair but more stable.
    Isn't that good for the legs, though? It's not a lot of movement (it's not exercise) but perhaps enough to keep the blood flowing? (Keeps the legs from going to sleep if one plays for a long time.)

I've never used one of these but have long thought I'd probably enjoy it.

User Info Menu

I use a Nota Posture chair from Wenger. It's designed for musicians and I can sit in for a long time without any back strain. I think it cost around $100 and I've never regretted paying that for it.

What type of seating used when playing?-notastandard_menu_300x300-jpg

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc. Best chair/stool ever.

User Info Menu

i slump into a couch and get as comfortable as i can with no regard for posture. When I need to sit normally or stand I just use a strap to get the guitar into that same position

User Info Menu

SoundSeat

Welcome to SoundSeat

Cincy

User Info Menu

What type of seating used when playing?

Everyone not dancing is sitting in chairs at tables, with drinks and maybe dinner.

Oh, you mean me?
    I always stand; only way to play comfortably through a three hour performance.

User Info Menu

A chair without arms. I use a metal folding chair at home, which is fine. I don't like to sit on a stool, because I play with my foot on a volume pedal at all times. I'd rather stand that use a stool.

If I'm singing for an audience, then, for some reason, a stool feels better than standing, but I don't do it that often.