The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I've been mostly playing standing up, with a pick. I'm now playing some different material, sitting down and playing fingerstyle. Does anybody have any recommendations for good posture on this?

I really don't want to play the classical guitar way, though I appreciate it is practical. So I want to rest the guitar on my right leg (I am right handed). Doing this, I feel my right foot wanting to lift, to raise the guitar up, which may be okay. I also feel my right shoulder raising, and feeling tense - so that's a problem!

The guitar is a Gibson ES-175, and I'm now mostly playing chord melody. Any suggestions would be appreciated please!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you considered some kind of guitar rest to attach to the guitar? I got one that is actually for a classical guitar, it's like a little arm that I actually attach to my guitar. It lifts the guitar up off my leg. They come in little pillow like wedgies too, but I've got one permanently on my lower bout. It's really comfortable. I rest the guitar on the right or the left leg
    David

Thanks, yes I did look at these - the reviews seemed mostly to be from classical guitarists, and I'd much prefer to find a way to rest this on my right leg. So if I can find one that would work with an ES-175 type guitar like this, I'd definitely give it a go!

Do you have a link to the product that you have used - or something similiar please?

I'm in the UK, so ideally looking for something from Amazon or Thomann or a UK reseller.

User Info Menu

Yes, play strapped, guitar lightly on left leg. That's not "classical" if your dang foot isn't elevated on a foot stool.

So,

Sit up straight and keep good posture. In other words keep your body straight, not twisted. And don't angle both arms off to the right.

Longevity will be your reward.

User Info Menu

I got a version of something like this, only the one I use was made in Turkey and it cost about half the price of this one. One issue is keeping it in place. The suction cups alone aren't adequate. I've screwed mine to my guitar using an anchor and allen bolt (sacrilege I know) but for me, it makes my guitar into something I can really use. You can come up with solutions like double sided sticky tape or some other solution I'm sure.
    Anyway having something like this transforms my guitar into a perfectly balanced player. Not for everyone, but right for me. Just mentioning it as a possible solution.
    David

Attachment 61396

Here's the one from Turkey. Available on Ebay
    Good posture playing sitting (but not classical)-screen-shot-2019-04-10-12-26-04-am-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Good posture playing sitting (but not classical)-screen-shot-2019-04-10-12-04-18-am-jpg 
    Last edited by TH; 04-10-2019 at 12:34 AM.

User Info Menu

As I understand you want to raise the guitar body but not the neck (as you try to avoid classical posture)... but this will eventually raise you right shoulder even higher...

So once you raise the body you will have to raise the neck too.

To be honest as electric archtops are heavy guitars I see no other solutions than common strap.

User Info Menu

I got a version of something like this, only the one I use was made in Turkey and it cost about half the price of this one. One issue is keeping it in place. The suction cups alone aren't adequate. I've screwed mine to my guitar using an anchor and allen bolt (sacrilege I know) but for me, it makes my guitar into something I can really use. You can come up with solutions like double sided sticky tape or some other solution I'm sure.
    Anyway having something like this transforms my guitar into a perfectly balanced player. Not for everyone, but right for me. Just mentioning it as a possible solution.
    David
    It is great but it is an alternative way of classical posture.

On lutes I use also a strap that raises then neck up because you sit on it... (you either ties it to bottom button and it pulls the body down... or ties it to neck button and let it lose through the loop at the bottom so when you sit on it it raises up the neck... if the bidy is too small you need a cushion or a stool on your right leg (not left!)))
    It is very convinient and comfortable way to hold an instrument but unfortunately it does not work with heavy modern instruments.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll experiment with these.

User Info Menu

I found the same thing. I would instinctively raise the heel of my right foot and rest it against the leg of the chair, but, after a while, my leg would feel cramped. My solution is to use a classical guitar footstool, set it as low as possible and place my right foot on it. I've been doing that now for several years.

User Info Menu

Just wear a strap. I play a 175 sitting down and it’s the best way I’ve found for jazz guitar.

I was trained to play classical guitar so I am aware of correct posture etc. Raising one leg on a footstool may not be the best option, for classical guitar I now use a small dynarette cushion on the left leg plus the footstool on its lowest position, this avoids twisting the spine so much. I used to use the footstool only (on a higher setting), but in recent years this gave me some back pain, which is why I started using the cushion.

User Info Menu

I mostly practice and play while standing and with my strap quite short, so the rare times I sit the strap will usually keep the guitar in about the same place. If sitting then I alternate that with crossing my right leg over my left and putting the guitar on my right leg, but not for periods of more than 10 minutes or so.

User Info Menu

Let’s all be aware and aknowledge that “correct posture” varies for different guitars and different reportoire.
    I vote for simply using a strap for the OP. Another point to consider is the chair or stool you use as the seat height has a significant effect on where and how the guitar lays against your chest/stomach and thigh. I’m close to 6’2” and find an adjustable drafting stool or drummers throne more comfortable than a chair.