The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 115 of 115

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Monday is my only day a lot of weeks. I need to just get a week and stay there....
    I'm always torn because it usually turns out I have maybe 2 days in a week to spend some time with these patterns when I know their real value is gained from drilling them every day. I'm seriously thinking about trying something like playing each week's patterns just 3-4 times every day, whether they are good or right or not, and then posting the last day's effort. Might end up a better plan than what I'm doing now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm always torn because it usually turns out I have maybe 2 days in a week to spend some time with these patterns when I know their real value is gained from drilling them every day. I'm seriously thinking about trying something like playing each week's patterns just 3-4 times every day, whether they are good or right or not, and then posting the last day's effort. Might end up a better plan than what I'm doing now.
    Yeah. I find these thoughts on process really great. I like to know how others approach. I imagine everyone is slightly different. Mine is probably strange too many...

I basically work on stuff like this in spurts , so two or three days for a few minutes on busy weeks. I find that I get diminishing returns on this kind of practice very very quickly if I practice them the same way. I think that is kind of similar to your notion of a little every day maybe? So, basically what I do is practice them in various different ways. I also move on work ahead a good bit. I really don't get as much fromplaying the same patterns over and over.

If I need extra work on a particular pattern, I tend to do things like play it through the cycles using a single fingering pattern or maybe practice them in parts, building to the full phrase etc. I did a lot of the's on number 28 the last week or two. I practiced playing it ending on beat 3, then ending on beat 4, then beat 1 of the next measure etc etc. fits good technical work and helps me focus. It's kind of strange , as it's the other side of the coin of my other focus generally, which is to basically move on and play a lot of other things etc.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

User Info Menu

I have a similar thing and my own variations of what I like to do with the patterns, Lawson. I say find what you can do, work on the things you feel you need to at your own pace and damn the torpedoes. I run across tough spots that I need to work on for greater lengths of time. It all comes out in the wash....

User Info Menu

It's great seeing what intermediate, and advanced players share in their posts. And, certainly encouraging, and appreciated for those of us with beginner chops.

User Info Menu

This one I changed fingering type every bar. I thing in terms of CAGED, so all the fingering types are pieces and/or combinations of the CAGED forms. I ended up with 11 fingerings. I'm thinking a lot of fingerings is good for learning the neck and running through picking variations.

But, it's good to run it with fewer fingerings also that have consistent picking/fingering patterns when working on picking speed and/or picking clean technique, economy picking, alternating picking, finger picking, hybrid picking etc.

So, two separate approaches for me going forward.

User Info Menu

Consistent fingering patterns on this one... working more on my picking and fingering speed and economy of motion.

User Info Menu

Here are my clips for 13-15. I also believe that tempo marking in pattern 15 is typo or something. I did it @ 100 BPM, which was already getting difficult to play. I guess you anyways have to take the tempo markings as an suggestions, since this isn't guitar specific book. I have lost the inserting soundcloud clip tool from my message tool bar, wierd. Maybe something to do with new layout? Here are direct links to clips:

Patterns For Jazz - 14 (150 BPM).MP3 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    Patterns For Jazz - 15 (100 BPM).MP3 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Here are my clips for 13-15. I also believe that tempo marking in pattern 15 is typo or something. I did it @ 100 BPM, which was already getting difficult to play. I guess you anyways have to take the tempo markings as an suggestions, since this isn't guitar specific book. I have lost the inserting soundcloud clip tool from my message tool bar, wierd. Maybe something to do with new layout? Here are direct links to clips:

Patterns For Jazz - 14 (150 BPM).MP3 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    Patterns For Jazz - 15 (100 BPM).MP3 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    Good job. I especially like your swing feel on 13 and 14.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    and 16 & 17:

That was pretty smooth. Thanks for posting.

Nice job, jhui.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How are you holding up jhui?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    How are you holding up jhui?
    Hi Erik, Still here thanks for asking. After being more or less away from my guitar for few weeks I am back doing the patterns. I'll post my next clips into May thread.

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 08-08-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Text to speech snafu