The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This is basically from one take. I edited out the part where I was switching drum loops, but basically raw with a couple of flubs. I'm mostly happy with it. I'd like to be tighter on 18's rhythm for sure, but this is where it is today with the time I've had. Pattern 19 in 2 positions, then 21, 18 and finally 20... all at upper tempo indications.

Critiques please...

Really good on this.

On pattern 18, are you late on the first note? I can't tap my foot that fast but maybe starting on the two with a quarter note, instead of as written which is starting on the up beat of 1 with a dotted quarter note?

Edit: I think you are getting it some of the time and sometimes are late. It's hard at this tempo. Edit again: I think you are getting right... I can tap my hand to tempo, now I think you are getting it right. As I said in the previous post, this one is hard for me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Really good on this.

On pattern 18, are you late on the first note? I can't tap my foot that fast but maybe starting on the two with a quarter note, instead of as written which is starting on the up beat of 1 with a dotted quarter note?

Edit: I think you are getting it some of the time and sometimes are late. It's hard at this tempo. Edit again: I think you are getting right... I can tap my hand to tempo, now I think you are getting it right. As I said in the previous post, this one is hard for me.
    Yeah. I think it's "right", just really sloppy and late at times. Maybe a half beat late at times. Should've redone it, but I just kinda went for the overall version for all patterns. I should have either cleaned it up timewise or slowed the tempo down . Greedy and lazy. :-) Long week...

With more time, I would've edited out my face as well probably. My resting face needs some work. :-)

User Info Menu

With more time, I would've edited out my face as well probably. My resting face needs some work. :-)

Ha!

My wife accuses me of having a Beethoven scowl all the time. I'm like, "What....?"

Re#18, I had kind of tried to do it without the ghost notes as well. It's a persistent habit for me at all tempos, but I probably NEED it for that tempo . I almost think it's needed for the LISTENER at that tempo as well.

User Info Menu

These ones where harder than I thought. 120bpm

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    These ones where harder than I thought.
    Good stuff, Erik. Thanks for breaking the ice on these.

Here are some updated fingering diagrams for what I'm doing so far on Patterns for Jazz. 3rd and 7th positions - Major Triads, Major 6 arps, Major 7 arps and Major 9 arps.

Let me know of typos please.

pdf attached
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-25-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Also, we probably need to begin thinking about a would-be schedule for May.

I was thinking something like:

May 5: 24-26
    May 12: 27-28
    May 19: 29-32
    May 26: 33-36

I'm fine with 5 in a week rather than 3+2 over 2 weeks, but I get the feeling that most probably don't want to go faster. #28 presents specific technical challenges. #27 is a faster ascending-only pattern, kind of distinguishing itself from the previous 3.

The rest of the month divides well into 4 cycles-per-unique-pattern, but leaves #37 as a whole week to basically the descending variation of 33-36. May just have to play that by ear. The last 2 weeks present very new ground technically anyway. I don't know that we'd necessarily want to decide anything on that one this far ahead.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Just spent some time working on Pattern 18 at various tempos. For me some of these patterns are mostly about getting the rhythm correct. Pattern 18 is one of those. So, in a sense, this book is very much about rhythm.

At 208, the rhythm is tough for me. Practicing with a drum track and 1) tapping my foot twice per measure, and then 2) not tapping my foot at all. I plan to record both ways and see which sounds better and also see which is more accurate.
    Good post, Frank. I'm going to repost another version of #18 to see if I can get a it little cleaner; probably a couple of versions of ghost note approaches to this. In my "mind's ear" I think of it as being a down-stroke ghost note played on 1, but in practice, I find that I actually feel it better at this tempo to ghost the upstroke on the and-of-4 preceding. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Here are some updated fingering diagrams for what I'm doing so far on Patterns for Jazz. 3rd and 7th positions - Major Triads, Major 6 arps, Major 7 arps and Major 9 arps.

Let me know of typos please.

pdf attached
    Nice job. Do you use a specific software to make a pdf with those kind of guitar boxes? Would it be possible to write something other then fingering, like R for “root” or the interval? I’m thinking it could be really useful when showing students chord inversions.

And I think two, or three patterns a week is fine. More is a bit overwhelming if it’s a busy week, but others may have a different opinion?
    Last edited by ErikWasser; 04-26-2019 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Also, we probably need to begin thinking about a would-be schedule for May.

I was thinking something like:

May 5: 24-26
    May 12: 27-28
    May 19: 29-32
    May 26: 33-36

I'm fine with 5 in a week rather than 3+2 over 2 weeks, but I get the feeling that most probably don't want to go faster. #28 presents specific technical challenges. #27 is a faster ascending-only pattern, kind of distinguishing itself from the previous 3.

The rest of the month divides well into 4 cycles-per-unique-pattern, but leaves #37 as a whole week to basically the descending variation of 33-36. May just have to play that by ear. The last 2 weeks present very new ground technically anyway. I don't know that we'd necessarily want to decide anything on that one this far ahead.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

This next batch of patterns really breaks from the routine. I wonder what the point of the sudden randomness would be.

Your breakdown looks good to me, but I think everybody who's still participating is pretty much finding their own pace.

Nice job. Do you use a specific software to make a pdf with those kind of guitar boxes? Would it be possible to write something other then fingering, like R for “root” or the interval? I’m thinking it could be really useful when showing students chord inversions.

And I think two, or three patterns a week is fine. More is a bit overwhelming if it’s a busy week, but others may have a different opinion?
    Yeah. This is neck diagrams. Very handy. With a click you can change to intervals or pitches.

User Info Menu

Here is patterns 20-22 played at the bottom-end of the tempo range. Just keeping my nose above water here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here is patterns 20-22 played at the bottom-end of the tempo range. Just keeping my nose above water here.

Good work, Lawson. I’ve enjoyed your posts, you obviously have an uniqueness to your playing. Hope all is well with you and your students and colleagues.

edit: typos

User Info Menu

Good work, Lawson. I’ve enjoyed your posts, you obviously have an uniqueness to your playing. Hope all is well with you and your students and colleagues.

edit: typos
    Thanks you for that. We're doing well after the tragedy over Easter weekend. Our school, a large campus actually for such a school, maybe 1000 students and faculty, has come together around the family that lost their son, and the 2 women who were injured, and lots of support and encouragement has happened.

I tend to see my playing as nothing very special, so I appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I tend to see my playing as nothing very special, so I appreciate your kind words.
    I'm with Mr. B. I always think that the best parts of what you do are the "Lawson bits". Foot really likes the rhythmic variation and your ending on the last one specially. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Here are patterns 22 and 23. I combined both lines into one exercise for each variation... So up-down followed by down-up for each of the four chord sequences.

Chromatic - 120 bpm - from the A D and G strings.

4ths - 110 bpm
    - from the E A and D strings. I thought this one sounded better with the backing track a little slower.

2nds - 120 bpm
    - from the A D and G strings.

Minor 3rds - 120 bpm
    - from the D and G strings.

User Info Menu

Trying to add a little bit of variation to the pattern, i.e. playing around with it. Self critique, need to eliminate the ringing extraneous notes.

Technical issues on my end. I may have to get another SD card reader to upload...

User Info Menu

Trying to add a little bit of variation to the pattern, i.e. playing around with it. Self critique, need to eliminate the ringing extraneous notes.
    Nice! You made a boring exercise sound pretty slick.

Ha ha. Rough and played on the worst guitar on the planet. I don't need critique on this. :-)

All 4 cycles recorded in one take, with one major clammy bit, but otherwise has moments of decent swing. My normal recording setup isn't currently working.

Just trying to post something. Sorry.

User Info Menu

Ha ha. Rough and played on the worst guitar on the planet. I don't need critique on this. :-)

All 4 cycles recorded in one take, with one major clammy bit, but otherwise has moments of decent swing. My normal recording setup isn't currently working.

Just trying to post something. Sorry.

Good to have you post anyway. It was getting a little lonely around here.

User Info Menu

Only 24 and 25, never got round to working on 26.
    Any comments are welcome.

User Info Menu

Hanging in here. May be Monday before I can make a video though.

Godspeed to all!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Hanging in here. May be Monday before I can make a video though.

Godspeed to all!
    Monday is my only day a lot of weeks. I need to just get a week ahead and stay there....
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-06-2019 at 11:52 AM.