The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 115
    This study group is based on the book, Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell and Jerry Greene.

Post a "deadline version" video of any or all of the weekly patterns, by Sunday each week, following this schedule:

April 7: Patterns 13-15

April 14: Patterns 16-17

April 21: Patterns 18-21

April 28: Patterns 22-23

Please, state the BPM you're using, which pattern(s) you're posting, and label the post "deadline version", (understanding that a more "final version" may take additional time etc). Please state whether you would like comments on your playing.

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Okay, I am now convinced that tempo marking in pattern 15 is the misplaced tempo marking for pattern 16. #16 is the first pattern missing a tempo marking, and 15 is completely just completely out of line with anything else for triplets that I can find in the book. The minimum tempo is insane itself, not to mention the ridiculous would-be max. The tempo for triplets on major 7 chords a couple of pages over would seem a better template.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Okay, I am now convinced that tempo marking in pattern 15 is the misplaced tempo marking for pattern 16. #16 is the first pattern missing a tempo marking, and 15 is completely just completely out of line with anything else for triplets that I can find in the book. The minimum tempo is insane itself, not to mention the ridiculous would-be max. The tempo for triplets on major 7 chords a couple of pages over would seem a better template.

My copy has tempo markings on both exercises 15 and 16 - 138-192 for both.

13 is 160-208 and 14 is 132-208.

What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    My copy has tempo markings on both exercises 15 and 16 - 138-192 for both.

13 is 160-208 and 14 is 132-208.

What do you have?

Nothing above 16 if I'm remembering right ... Anyway, regardless, it isn't normal any of the other exercises to have the same tempo for both triplet and eighth note exercises.

That's interesting. Looking back at the PDF from the first thread , I noticed that it has tempo markings for both.
    EDIT: Nope. I'm crazy. Just got home and looked at it . Must've been looking at 20 and 21.

Still, looking at 89 and 106, I'd call #15's tempo marking a mistake, or at the very least, ill-advised.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-03-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Am I doing the math right on this? I get this:

138 - 192 (in 8th note TRIPLETS) is individual notes which are as fast as regular eight notes at 207 - 288? If I'm doing that correctly, this marking is clearly a mistake.

I've edited the tempo marking in my book to 60-120 bpm for pattern #15. This is based on the tempo markings for analogous introductory triplet pattern tempo markings on patterns #1, #89 and #106.

User Info Menu

Not exactly stuck on #11 and #12, but I want to get them a tad smoother than they are.
    Just starting on #13-15 (6th chords). I'll get there.

I'll make a video perhaps tonight of 11 and 12 then one in a few days for this week's material (or at least one of 'em.)

Glad this group is rolling along. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Matt!

This popped up in my feed today. I don't speak Portuguese, but the last two or three minutes is applying certain PFJ patterns over the changes to blues for Alice.

User Info Menu

Am I doing the math right on this? I get this:

138 - 192 (in 8th note TRIPLETS) is individual notes which are as fast as regular eight notes at 207 - 288? If I'm doing that correctly, this marking is clearly a mistake.

Matt - The marking appears to be quite intentional and is consistent with surrounding exercises.

Pattern #15 stays on one chord per measure and ends with a nice long half note, so that should enable one to "set up" for the next chord.

Think about it this way, we have often discussed practicing scales or any other melodic material with 16th notes at 120 bpm. That is 120, 240, 360, 480 "strikes" per minute for quarter, eighth, eighth note triplet, and sixteenth notes respectively. That is fast but not super fast.

Some on the forum claim to be able to play sixteenth notes at 160-200 bpm. That would be 4x strikes per minute with sixteenth notes, or 640-800.

So, if we guitarists can play 480 strikes per minute and still not be "super fast" then we can do this exercise too. Exercise #15 requires 414- 576 strikes per minute, for eighth note triplets. That is challenging to very challenging for guitarists, but probably not too challenging for pianists or sax players.

That said, slowing it down to a setting where one can play with security (accuracy and clarity) is the right thing to do.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I just tried it at 160 bpm. The only challenge was root movement in fourths but I could iron that out in less than an hour or so...

Give it a whirl.

This exercise is far and away faster than anything else in the book . It breaks pretty clearly from the stated goals in the introduction about achieving basic competency on simple rudiments and then moving on. It isn't comparable at all to similar exercises. The melodic rhythm of the previous exercises are much slower , and the ones after are eighth notes. Everywhere else in the book the eighth note exercises are slightly faster than the triplets, never exactly the same.

I've never seen you post ANY playing under ANY username . Post video playing this at max tempo. Or even minimum tempo. I know it'll never happen. Troll on something else, fumble fingers.

User Info Menu

I agree that 192 is way fast for that exercise. I can do it with sweep picking at that tempo, but with alternate picking, I can only get up around 180 and stay clean. I've spent a lot of time practicing flatpicking and cross picking, though.

It's probably a misprint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I just tried it at 160 bpm. The only challenge was root movement in fourths but I could iron that out in less than an hour or so...

Give it a whirl.
    I can't cut it at that tempo. By all means post a clip of you doing it at this tempo. This is a playing and posting thread so to get any hearing here you need to post. Otherwise you will score a nice spot on everyone's "Ignore" list.

User Info Menu

i played it at 230. it wasn't hard, you guys will get it after some practice.

User Info Menu

should hit 500 soon

User Info Menu

Dang my metronome head was going so fast at about 780 that the little weight on the arm flew off and HIT MY IPHONE so now I can't make clips to prove to you that I'm a major fret monster fast-player ripping through pages of this book so fast they catch on fire.

I'm so good even I can't stand it.

Make sure you have fresh batteries in your ®Acme Irony Detector.

User Info Menu

So here's 13-15.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's 13-15.
    Good stuff, Lawson. I love the feel you're getting playing along with those drum genius loops. I don't know quite what it is, but they're really a different vibe compared to other types of backing tracks etc.

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

This exercise is far and away faster than anything else in the book . It breaks pretty clearly from the stated goals in the introduction about achieving basic competency on simple rudiments and then moving on. It isn't comparable at all to similar exercises. The melodic rhythm of the previous exercises are much slower , and the ones after are eighth notes. Everywhere else in the book the eighth note exercises are slightly faster than the triplets, never exactly the same.

I've never seen you post ANY playing under ANY username . Post video playing this at max tempo. Or even minimum tempo. I know it'll never happen. Troll on something else, fumble fingers.
    OK, well it sounds like you have; (1) an issue with Coker and his associates, and (2) an issue with me.

My posts were an attempt to be helpful, and were stated in a non-confrontational way. I did my best to explain the guitarist's take on this book. For some strange reason you seem to have taken my commentary as critical and personal, and fired personal shots in return. Too bad.

And yeah, I have uploaded a few simple exercises, but am not surprised or concerned if you haven't heard them, and don't know why you would have.

Best of success to you, going forward.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 04-05-2019 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's my first April submission. I pulled the trigger on BIAB this week, so it was fun trying to come up with some tracks that fit the mood of each line.

I hit max tempo on all but pattern 15. I was going to post an example of that one at 192 with sweep picking, but it wasn't coming out very clean, so I opted for alternate picking at 140 and sticking to position playing.

Pattern 13 - 208 bpm - 12th position starting from the 4th finger n the A string

Pattern 14 - 208 bpm - 8th position starting from the 3rd finger on the D string but moving up and down positions as needed

Pattern 15 - 140 bpm - 5th position starting from the 4th finger on the E string

Pattern 16 - 192 bpm - 2nd position starting from the 2nd finger on the A string and moving up and down positions as needed

I know pattern 16 was scheduled for next week, but It fit well wit this set, so I did it in advance. I figure next week, I'll concentrate on pattern 17 and take it though each of the cycles. That will give me plenty to work on, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    Here's my first April submission.
    Nice. I especially liked your ending on # 13...

Well, I maimed my little finger this week. Kind of gouged it pretty well with a piece of glass. So, it's bandaged, and I'm getting these annoying ghosted notes, on number 15 especially. I had actually been pretty happy with the legato I was getting on that one, but oh well. It is what it is.

User Info Menu

Well, I maimed my little finger this week. Kind of gouged it pretty well with a piece of glass. So, it's bandaged, and I'm getting these annoying ghosted notes, on number 15 especially. I had actually been pretty happy with the legato I was getting on that one, but oh well. It is what it is.

Great job as always, but man... you gotta work on that happy face.

User Info Menu

Posted #11 and #12 yesterday in the March thread. Someone suggested I post them here as well. I certainly could do that. My thought was that 11 and 12 were part of March's assignment, so that's where they belong.

But frankly, I've been so distracted with my mom's health lately (still in rehab, increasingly confused and depressed) that I don't know whether I'm coming or going!