Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 115

User Info Menu

FWlineberry, sounds cool with the backing track. Raising the bar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Thanks. I'm just a rock guy trying to get some jazz chops, so it's a fun way to apply this stuff and still have some groove.

I wish I had half of your relaxed hand positioning, though. I think I'm pretty relaxed, then I look at the vid and cringe. I'm still trying to figure out the best playing position. I'd like to avoid having to put the thing right under my chin, but I see a lot of older, heavier guys doing that.

In other news. anybody have an ideas on what tempo range to use for pattern 21? I plugged in 190, but that seemed a little fast, so I dropped it down to 180.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Yeah. Especially the minor thirds patterns. Very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Nice. Is this rob video lighting technique in action?
    Yep, but not as good as Rob's, I think I have too much light with a window in front and one on the side.

User Info Menu

The post from Fep about using DAWS got me thinking about different ways to practise exercises. Started working on pattern 19 this morning, but experimented with a synth patch. It’s monophonic, and requires precise playing, as it does not respond well to slurring, slides and whatnot.

It was interesting, I had to slow down about 15 bpm for it to sound decent. Turns out I’m also more precise with a small pick(which I don’t like) then a regular sized one(that I like).

This is not me trying to turn his into a gear discussion, but to show this tread has already inspired me to try something new

Pattern 19 bpm 160(ish). Synth guitar patch, trying to be overly precise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    Thanks. I'm just a rock guy trying to get some jazz chops, so it's a fun way to apply this stuff and still have some groove.

I wish I had half of your relaxed hand positioning, though. I think I'm pretty relaxed, then I look at the vid and cringe. I'm still trying to figure out the best playing position. I'd like to avoid having to put the thing right under my chin, but I see a lot of older, heavier guys doing that.

In other news. anybody have an ideas on what tempo range to use for pattern 21? I plugged in 190, but that seemed a little fast, so I dropped it down to 180.

Hey I just wanted to say I've enjoyed your contributions. You are a "fresh face" here and your conscious decision as a rock guy to go after some jazz chops is encouraging to me. I like your posts and the way you actually turn the pattern into a little performance, backing tracks, fx loop and all.

Don't go away! I'd love to see you advance even more in your exploration of jazz.

I'm assuming 138-192 bpm for #21, based on #16 and similar.

I put up a couple of random videos. Should've had a 2nd cup of coffee first . Sorry to be slightly more rambling than usual maybe.

User Info Menu

Holy Crap. I was about to post and realized on Pattern 18 I NEVER EVEN SAW THE 8TH REST AT THE START! Oh well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey I just wanted to say I've enjoyed your contributions. You are a "fresh face" here and your conscious decision as a rock guy to go after some jazz chops is encouraging to me. I like your posts and the way you actually turn the pattern into a little performance, backing tracks, fx loop and all.

Don't go away! I'd love to see you advance even more in your exploration of jazz.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

User Info Menu

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

I appreciate people who post their playing. I'm here to learn how to PLAY BETTER and I like to see and hear fellow travelers who present their efforts, sometimes amazing, sometimes modest. Two kinds of people here: those that post their playing, and those that just talk.

User Info Menu

Attempts at the rest of this weeks patterns. Deadline versions. Messed up the order splicing the video.

20(bpm 115)
    18(bpm 200, click on “one”, this was hard)
    21(bpm 160)

Any comments welcome!

User Info Menu

Here are this week's submissions. Practice went a lot better this week. I already have a lot of work into maj7 arpeggios, though, so that helped. It was just a matter of deciding which positions and fingerings to use.

Pattern 18 - 208 bpm - I took a little liberty with how I played this by including a half step slide into the major 7th:

Pattern 19 - 192 bpm:

Pattern 20 - 120 bpm

Pattern 21 - 180 bpm

Looks like this next week I'll be working on up-down and down-up variations through all four chord cycles.

This is basically from one take. I edited out the part where I was switching drum loops, but basically raw with a couple of flubs. I'm mostly happy with it. I'd like to be tighter on 18's rhythm for sure, but this is where it is today with the time I've had. Pattern 19 in 2 positions, then 21, 18 and finally 20... all at upper tempo indications.

Critiques please...

Here are this week's submissions. Practice went a lot better this week. I already have a lot of work into maj7 arpeggios, though, so that helped. It was just a matter of deciding which positions and fingerings to use.
    I think you have an especially good feel on #18. Gave me slight remorse on mine.

Interesting backing tracks throughout, and I always enjoy your ending flourishes. Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

I think you have an especially good feel on #18. Gave me slight remorse on mine.

Interesting backing tracks throughout, and I always enjoy your ending flourishes. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think you have anything to be remorseful about, though. I've been watching your vids with an eye to whether I have the rhythms right.

User Info Menu

This is basically from one take. I edited out the part where I was switching drum loops, but basically raw with a couple of flubs. I'm mostly happy with it. I'd like to be tighter on 18's rhythm for sure, but this is where it is today with the time I've had. Pattern 19 in 2 positions, then 21, 18 and finally 20... all at upper tempo indications.

Critiques please...

Critique... just wipe that silly grin off your face... ;-)

User Info Menu

Looks like this is the only one I'll get posted this week. Big flub going from G to Ab too. Have to work on that.

User Info Menu

Busy time here--3 of our students were involved in a head-on crash on a back road, one (my student) killed, 2 very seriously injured. A second car with other students from here came up a moment later and discovered the accident, those 3 are very shaken by what they saw that they can never forget.

So time for recording has been limited, and my own heart is heavy with the loss of a student from my classes who was going to be on our Israel team this summer.

Anyhow, this is 18-19 the best I can make them for now. I think I miss a pattern in the root movement in each, but I didn't have time to check or re-do.

User Info Menu

Busy time here--3 of our students were involved in a head-on crash on a back road, one (my student) killed, 2 very seriously injured. A second car with other students from here came up a moment later and discovered the accident, those 3 are very shaken by what they saw that they can never forget.

So time for recording has been limited, and my own heart is heavy with the loss of a student from my classes who was going to be on our Israel team this summer.

Anyhow, this is 18-19 the best I can make them for now. I think I miss a pattern in the root movement in each, but I didn't have time to check or re-do.

Very sorry to read this. My condolences.

Driving truck the last several years, I saw my fair share of accidents and fatalities. That's a big part of why I got out of it. I felt like my luck was running out.

This post gave me the shivers.

Very sorry to hear, Lawson. All the best.

User Info Menu

My condolences, Lawson.

User Info Menu

Oh my goodness. My condolences.

User Info Menu

thanks all for your empathy over recent events here in my community. Today at 11:00 AM EST our school has a memorial service for the young man who was killed. Two other students remain in hospital with grave injuries, but with a very good chance of making a full, if long and hard, recovery.

I have to say our community of faculty, students, staff, and administrators have been amazing in locking arms around the families and friends to offer love and support.

I hope to be back in the study group saddle soon. Thank you again for your thoughtful replies.

User Info Menu

Just spent some time working on Pattern 18 at various tempos. For me some of these patterns are mostly about getting the rhythm correct. Pattern 18 is one of those. So, in a sense, this book is very much about rhythm.

At 208, the rhythm is tough for me. Practicing with a drum track and 1) tapping my foot twice per measure, and then 2) not tapping my foot at all. I plan to record both ways and see which sounds better and also see which is more accurate.