Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pattern 16 170 bpm, Pattern 17 140 bpm

B+
    Frank (aka fep)

Pattern 17 all variations 144 bpm

I feel like I'm bringing up the rear this week. Got busy in other areas and didn't get he practice time in that I would have liked. Had to cram this weekend so I could get a video shot and posted.

I bit off a little more than I could chew. I wanted to do all four sequence variations with pattern 17 and do them in one shot. I just managed to get a decent take. There are some missed notes here and there. You can see I have a brain freeze and freak out a bit on the last sequence, but I managed to keep the rubber on the road and get to the end.

Patter 17 - all variations - 144 bpm

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

FWlineberry, sounds cool with the backing track. Raising the bar
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post

Thanks. I'm just a rock guy trying to get some jazz chops, so it's a fun way to apply this stuff and still have some groove.

I wish I had half of your relaxed hand positioning, though. I think I'm pretty relaxed, then I look at the vid and cringe. I'm still trying to figure out the best playing position. I'd like to avoid having to put the thing right under my chin, but I see a lot of older, heavier guys doing that.

In other news. anybody have an ideas on what tempo range to use for pattern 21? I plugged in 190, but that seemed a little fast, so I dropped it down to 180.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

Nice. Is this rob video lighting technique in action?

Yeah. Especially the minor thirds patterns. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Nice. Is this rob video lighting technique in action?
    Yep, but not as good as Rob's, I think I have too much light with a window in front and one on the side.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

The post from Fep about using DAWS got me thinking about different ways to practise exercises. Started working on pattern 19 this morning, but experimented with a synth patch. It’s monophonic, and requires precise playing, as it does not respond well to slurring, slides and whatnot.

It was interesting, I had to slow down about 15 bpm for it to sound decent. Turns out I’m also more precise with a small pick(which I don’t like) then a regular sized one(that I like).

This is not me trying to turn his into a gear discussion, but to show this tread has already inspired me to try something new

Pattern 19 bpm 160(ish). Synth guitar patch, trying to be overly precise.

Great tone, man!

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry View Post
    Thanks. I'm just a rock guy trying to get some jazz chops, so it's a fun way to apply this stuff and still have some groove.

I wish I had half of your relaxed hand positioning, though. I think I'm pretty relaxed, then I look at the vid and cringe. I'm still trying to figure out the best playing position. I'd like to avoid having to put the thing right under my chin, but I see a lot of older, heavier guys doing that.

In other news. anybody have an ideas on what tempo range to use for pattern 21? I plugged in 190, but that seemed a little fast, so I dropped it down to 180.

Hey I just wanted to say I've enjoyed your contributions. You are a "fresh face" here and your conscious decision as a rock guy to go after some jazz chops is encouraging to me. I like your posts and the way you actually turn the pattern into a little performance, backing tracks, fx loop and all.

Don't go away! I'd love to see you advance even more in your exploration of jazz.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

I'm assuming 138-192 bpm for #21, based on #16 and similar.

I put up a couple of random videos. Should've had a 2nd cup of coffee first . Sorry to be slightly more rambling than usual maybe.

Holy Crap. I was about to post and realized on Pattern 18 I NEVER EVEN SAW THE 8TH REST AT THE START! Oh well...
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Hey I just wanted to say I've enjoyed your contributions. You are a "fresh face" here and your conscious decision as a rock guy to go after some jazz chops is encouraging to me. I like your posts and the way you actually turn the pattern into a little performance, backing tracks, fx loop and all.

Don't go away! I'd love to see you advance even more in your exploration of jazz.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

I appreciate people who post their playing. I'm here to learn how to PLAY BETTER and I like to see and hear fellow travelers who present their efforts, sometimes amazing, sometimes modest. Two kinds of people here: those that post their playing, and those that just talk.
    - Lawson

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed