The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 115

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Posted #11 and #12 yesterday in the March thread. Someone suggested I post them here as well. I certainly could do that. My thought was that 11 and 12 were part of March's assignment, so that's where they belong.

But frankly, I've been so distracted with my mom's health lately (still in rehab, increasingly confused and depressed) that I don't know whether I'm coming or going!
    I feel for you in dealing with your mom. My fahter-in-law lives in our small town, is 91, and starting to have memory, confusion, etc. and had a major surgery slowing him down. It's a 24/7 thing to look after aging parents, but it's one of those moral universals, right? We look after our parents the best we can.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I feel for you in dealing with your mom. My fahter-in-law lives in our small town, is 91, and starting to have memory, confusion, etc. and had a major surgery slowing him down. It's a 24/7 thing to look after aging parents, but it's one of those moral universals, right? We look after our parents the best we can.
    Thanks, Lawson.

User Info Menu

I feel for you, Mark. My parents are aging now and their care is becoming an issue more and more each year. You are the good son.

I'm back, guys. I made it through my gig. It was a little hairy but I had a bunch of material to cover as a trio and I was a little nervous about it because I'm an ensemble player primarily, and not used to the trio thing. Our keyboard player couldn't make the gig so I had to lace 'em up tight, cinch up the ball sack and go for it, Haha. Anyway, I managed not to embarrass myself and we avoided any real train wrecks and in the end it boosted my confidence nicely so I'm happy.

Anyway, I've still been practicing and I'll start by posting up in the March thread where I left off. I'm currently wrapping up patterns 11 & 12 and I should be back on track for a while. Dont want to get too far behind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    I feel for you, Mark. My parents are aging now and their care is becoming an issue more and more each year. You are the good son.

I'm back, guys. I made it through my gig. It was a little hairy but I had a bunch of material to cover as a trio and I was a little nervous about it because I'm an ensemble player primarily, and not used to the trio thing. Our keyboard player couldn't make the gig so I had to lace 'em up tight, cinch up the ball sack and go for it, Haha. Anyway, I managed not to embarrass myself and we avoided any real train wrecks and in the end it boosted my confidence nicely so I'm happy.

Anyway, I've still been practicing and I'll start by posting up in the March thread where I left off. I'm currently wrapping up patterns 11 & 12 and I should be back on track for a while. Dont want to get too far behind.
    I had a guitar teacher once say, "one gig is worth six month of lessons". (I took that to apply to those that don't gig often). Focusing on learning that much material really sorts out what you need to work on.

User Info Menu

lawson-stone,

I'm not participating on this thread, but I just wanted to compliment you on your time feel. That video for patterns 13-15 was incredibly groovy, your eighths were even but still swinging like mad. A pattern ain't worth shite unless you can make it groove, and you made those patterns sing!

So, little slower week this week with the assignment etc. Anyway, wanted to share some personal observations . I've been working on other vocabulary for the last week or so and have found that the work I've done playing these patterns in positions has really helped free up my thinking and hand/ear connection to the instrument.

Beyond that, cycling new vocabulary in the ways that we cycle these patterns is a really helpful way of working new material . Among other things, it gives you a "reason" to play something a few more times if you need the reps. The cycles give some mental stimulation and develop fretboard awareness on something that might otherwise be more mundane and mind numbing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This popped up in my feed today. I don't speak Portuguese, but the last two or three minutes is applying certain PFJ patterns over the changes to blues for Alice.
    Check out his YT playlists, they are good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    lawson-stone,

I'm not participating on this thread, but I just wanted to compliment you on your time feel. That video for patterns 13-15 was incredibly groovy, your eighths were even but still swinging like mad. A pattern ain't worth shite unless you can make it groove, and you made those patterns sing!
    What a fine thing to read after a very long day's work, which started at 5:00 AM! Thank you so much for that. I was enjoying it, and I guess it showed. Thank you sir.

User Info Menu

Hello!

Found this thread while googling the book and I’m hoping it’s alright to tag along? It was inspiring watching the clips!

Having just started with the book yesterday I’m way behind, but jumped ahead to pattern 15 and made a quick video. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Bpm 136. Random fingerings, trying not to cut the half notes short.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    Hello!

Found this thread while googling the book and I’m hoping it’s alright to tag along? It was inspiring watching the clips!

Having just started with the book yesterday I’m way behind, but jumped ahead to pattern 15 and made a quick video. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Bpm 136. Random fingerings, trying not to cut the half notes short.

Great to have you join, Erik. Good job, posting this one. I'll have to rewatch later, but looks good to me. What kind of guitar are you playing there?

User Info Menu

Great to have you join, Erik. Good job, posting this one. I'll have to rewatch later, but looks good to me. What kind of guitar are you playing there?

Thank you. It is a Gibson ES135 with 57s. It goes through my line6 multieffect (am working on a new clean patch, so I use it all the time for practicing, making small adjustments).

Looking forward to working with the book, and try to catch up to you guys before the next deadline. This tread is a great idea.

User Info Menu

Once I get to about 175 BPM I'm no longer able to count/tap 4 to the bar. So, I count and tap 2 to the bar which makes the eighth notes be 16th notes relative to my count. Unfortunately I need to slow down to get my rhythm tighter as it falls apart at the faster tempos especially with the syncopated bit for pattern 13.

Have any of you used a DAW to review your rhythmic accuracy. Here I can see I'm behind on the fourth note of pattern 13, I was consistently behind for the whole recording. This was at 200 bpm (or 100 in double time). The grid lines are 16th notes, actually I'm a bit behind on all but the first note in this image.
    Attached Images Attached Images Patterns for Jazz study group - April 2019-timing-13-png 
    Last edited by fep; 04-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Here it is at 180 bpm with a metronome instead of a drum track. I'm pretty spot on here. I think part of the issue may be the drum track, and the other part may be the tempo.. the midi drum tracks I have are from a real drummer and they are not snapped to the grid like a lot of drum tracks... hmm, more experimenting needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Patterns for Jazz study group - April 2019-patt-13-2-png 

User Info Menu

Here's my first run at Patterns 16-17. By "first" I don't mean I just looked at them... but the first time I could actually play them through without making a (big) mistake. Tempos are at the bottom end of the scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    Hello!

Come on in. The water's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Once I get to about 175 BPM I'm no longer able to count/tap 4 to the bar. So, I count and tap 2 to the bar which makes the eighth notes be 16th notes relative to my count. Unfortunately I need to slow down to get my rhythm tighter as it falls apart at the faster tempos especially with the syncopated bit for pattern 13.

Have any of you used a DAW to review your rhythmic accuracy. Here I can see I'm behind on the fourth note of pattern 13, I was consistently behind for the whole recording. This was at 200 bpm (or 100 in double time). The grid lines are 16th notes, actually I'm a bit behind on all but the first note in this image.
    Is that swing time though? There was a pretty interesting post a while back on the interpretation of notated syncopation in swing. It can be pretty different, depending on the type of rhythm.

I'd have to hear it. If it SOUNDS good, the way it lines up visually is more of a curiosity for me than a measurement of accuracy. I always like your sound... :-)

I've had an awkward relationship with DAW the last few years. I need to get back in the waters I guess...

Here's my first run at Patterns 16-17. By "first" I don't mean I just looked at them... but the first time I could actually play them through without making a (big) mistake. Tempos are at the bottom end of the scale.

I always enjoy the personal style you put in, Lawson. I like the push in the second one...

User Info Menu

Worked on these two today. Don’t know why YouTube makes the audio sound crap. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Pattern 16. Bpm 170. Limiting myself to the second, third, and fourth string.

pattern 17. Bpm 135. Trying to move around as little as possible.

User Info Menu

I've been working in Werner Poehlert's "Basic Mediantic" book, which stresses diagonal fingerings. So I'm not trying to stay in position here. Indeed, I'm trying to get used to making wider shifts than I'm used to.

I do love the 6 chord. I prefer it to the major 7 chord. Whenever I'm playing a Swing-era tune, I use a 6 for the I chord. It sounds better to me.

Just did two takes: one each of #13 and then #14-17.

User Info Menu

Mark, good job. You're not playing the rhthm as written for pattern 13, it sounds like you are playing swing eighths. As written the second note of the pattern should be on the down beat.

User Info Menu

Pattern 13 is a bit more rhthmically complex than the rest so far. At the faster tempos I'm tapping my foot on the 1 and the 3, i.e. twice per measure instead of four times. Below on the second line of the image is the way I'm thinking of the rhythm at faster tempos which is the same rhythm but in double time.
    Attached Images Attached Images Patterns for Jazz study group - April 2019-pattern-13-jpg 

Patterns 16 & 17 in 2 positions:

192 bpm and 144 bpm. Maybe too fast; a little sloppy.
    Comments welcome.

User Info Menu

Patterns 16 & 17 in 2 positions:

192 bpm and 144 bpm. Maybe too fast; a little sloppy.
    Comments welcome.
    Nice job Matt. You are in the sweet spot between playing the time strictly as written and imparting a personal jazz feel to it. I think that's the right place to be. You're also pushing the tempo to the outer edge of what you can do, which sort of opens a spot up for everyone else to try a challenging approach and take a risk.

Nice job Matt. You are in the sweet spot between playing the time strictly as written and imparting a personal jazz feel to it. I think that's the right place to be. You're also pushing the tempo to the outer edge of what you can do, which sort of opens a spot up for everyone else to try a challenging approach and take a risk.
    Wow. Thanks, Lawson. That means a lot! "Feel first" has kind of been my standard for choosing takes. I especially want things to swing as much as possible. Thanks again for the kind words.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-16-2019 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

I feel like I'm bringing up the rear this week. Got busy in other areas and didn't get he practice time in that I would have liked. Had to cram this weekend so I could get a video shot and posted.

I bit off a little more than I could chew. I wanted to do all four sequence variations with pattern 17 and do them in one shot. I just managed to get a decent take. There are some missed notes here and there. You can see I have a brain freeze and freak out a bit on the last sequence, but I managed to keep the rubber on the road and get to the end.

Patter 17 - all variations - 144 bpm