The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

I bought a few different picks from Amazon. All Dunlops. 1 pack Primetone and a couple different Jazztone.

I love the grip of the Primetone. They have a really nice pattern on both sides which really help with gripping. But I like the sound of the Jazztones a little better, but they are also pretty slick.

Any DIY hacks for picks and grip? I was thinking about getting out the x-acto knife and scoring them, but thought I'd wait and see what others might say.

Maybe I need to befriend an NFL receiver from the 70's and see if they still have any of that "stickum" left.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They are pricey, but the Blue Chip picks tend to get sort of tacky once warm between your fingers. Also, their price helps one be careful not to lose them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    They are pricey, but the Blue Chip picks tend to get sort of tacky once warm between your fingers. Also, their price helps one be careful not to lose them!
    I've seen them, but I'll never pay $35+ for pick. Ever.

User Info Menu

Here are things I've tried.

1. Punching a hole in the pick. I used a punch for 3 ring binder paper. I also used a nail.

2. Scoring the pick somehow. I've made dimples with a nail, sandpapered, and cut.

3. Things I called "looseleaf reinforcements" when I was in elementary school. It's that little white circle, sticky on one side, that goes over the hole in 3 hole paper. They didn't stay on forever, but they worked and they had the advantage of making the pick easier to find when I dropped it on a carpet roughly the same color as the pick.

I think #3 was best, but, for some reason, I don't do it very often.

User Info Menu

I have good luck with V-picks. A friend gave me one and they're pretty cool... I think they're 'stickier' than Blue Chips but have a similar, nice darkish tone, not clicky. They are hard to drop, but since they're transparent, if you do drop one they can also be hard to find.

User Info Menu

I bought a Blue Chip once and then lost it within a week of purchase. I kind of think it ended up in the vacuum but I can't be sure. I never found it. That was the last time I bought an expensive pick. I am just not responsible enough to own one!

User Info Menu

I also like to use common, easy to find disposable picks. I wear out picks in a few days/weeks usually so expensive ones don't make sense to me, i 've tried a few. I just try to work on my grip technique instead of using a complicated pick. This way you can use anything if there 's a need or you want the variety. Generally i am going after effortless picking, whatever style that might be, just go for efficiency, small movements, minimal friction and contact, nothing tense, etc..

User Info Menu

I use this for my Black Ice picks:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Grips.../dp/B00JER27MO

User Info Menu

Get a cheap bag of cheap for your fingers.

:-) I meant RESIN :-) LMAO
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 03-15-2019 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I just always buy these..!

User Info Menu

You can get powdered resin that will def increase the grip.

For me, I just lick the part where I hold. I know, it’s weird and gross, but it’s kind of a habit. I do this before playing every song. Increases the friction significantly.

I use Dunlop Tortex greens which are kind of a matte finish anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    I have good luck with V-picks. A friend gave me one and they're pretty cool... I think they're 'stickier' than Blue Chips but have a similar, nice darkish tone, not clicky. They are hard to drop, but since they're transparent, if you do drop one they can also be hard to find.
    I also use V-Picks on a regular basis when playing electric, although I use ruby red acrylic so I can find them (2.75mm, small pointed)! You can stick a V-Pick to your finger tip, turn your finger upside down, and it will stick to your finger and not fall to the floor. I also have picks made from vintage TS and they stick as well.

I haven't dropped a V-Pick in 5 years.

My Blue Chip sticks a little, but not as much as V-Picks or TS.

I've also tried Gravity Picks, also acrylic, very similar to V-Picks and sticky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Any DIY hacks for picks and grip? I was thinking about getting out the x-acto knife and scoring them, but thought I'd wait and see what others might say.

That's what I do. A few x patterns on each side. Maybe 4x4 crosses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Here are things I've tried.

1. Punching a hole in the pick. I used a punch for 3 ring binder paper. I also used a nail.

Like this - ( ? )

Moshay Pick Company

...no affiliation etc...

User Info Menu

I prefer a smooth surface with a few punched holes rather than a rough texture.

Like these:

How do folks make a pick grip better?-bcibj55-wbcj18-jpg

User Info Menu

+1 on Monster Grips, I can't manage without them, I'm old so my fingerprint has worn away..... Masking tape wrapped round both sides is a cheap alternative.

User Info Menu

I used to use Dunlop Ultex Jazz III or or Jazztone picks, but over the last few years I’ve found myself coming to exclusively use these. They have excellent grip, the Delrin lasts an incredibly long time and has very little drag, and I find the varying flexibility depending on how it’s gripped very useful and comfortable.

User Info Menu

After playing for many years there are some things that don't happen anymore:

1) I rarely if ever break strings.

2) My pick doesn't slip.

Just an observation.

User Info Menu

I agree that Blue Chips are grippy picks. Acetate Dugain picks are also grippy.

My new Ibanez Elastomer picks are also grippy and are much less expensive than Dugain or Blue Chip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My new Ibanez Elastomer picks are also grippy and are much less expensive than Dugain or Blue Chip.
    I haven't seen the Ibanez ones yet. They are still pricey, but not so much I wouldn't consider them. Do you use the hard or the soft? What makes them grippy, the material they are made from?

User Info Menu

I like the 2.2mm hard Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I like the 2.2mm hard Ibanez.
    Do they make them in the smaller teardrop? I can only find the 2.2mm in the large size.

User Info Menu

I have only seen large, but I like them.

I used little jazz picks for 30 years. Now I like big ones.

User Info Menu

Try this...

Hold your pick as if you were about to play (establish your grip)
    Flip the pick over and re-establish your grip
    Do this a few times to estimate how fast this takes
    Can you do this perfectly twice in one second?

As you play, the pick is subject to being deflected, twisted, or turned out of perfect position. Attempts to stop that by holding it more firmly or treating the pick with some kind of grip enhancer are not really going to work long term (long enough to get through a whole song), but you can train your hand to re-establish your grip as instantly, unconsciously, and often as needed.

Watching a movie or TV show or other extended period of having your hand free, try holding the pick (without the guitar) and flipping it about every 10 seconds to force it to re-establish your grip... eventually this will become natural and very fast to the point where whenever playing, your hand will instinctively maintain grip and re-establish grip instantly when needed.

User Info Menu

Apply self adhesive sandpaper strips.