The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Dunlop Delrin 500 2.0mm Prime Grip. $6 for a dozen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

gorilla snot and moustache wax

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop makes max grip version of the Jazz III.
    A long time ago I read an interview with John McLaughlin where he mentioned using a pocket knife to create grooves for better grip.
    I came with my own take on the idea using a soldering pen, I find it easier to get deeper grooves.

How do folks make a pick grip better?-20190210_095947_resized_1-jpgHow do folks make a pick grip better?-20190210_100012_resized_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorilla snot is the best I’ve found. However I don’t use it much because Blue Chip picks are naturally grippy due to the material they use. Ironically the gorilla snot comes off very quilt if you use it on that material too. But I’m something that usually gives me grip issues like Tortex, Gorilla Snot works extremely well if I’m not using a Blue Chip pick for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I've seen them, but I'll never pay $35+ for pick. Ever.
    I understand that but if it helps the material is 1000 dollars for a block - the cost isn’t just high for the sake of being high and the material lasts forever. The only issue would be if someone is really not careful with their picks and loses them often. I guess coming from bass and the cost of bows, a 35 dollar pick that helps me play better than any other pick I’ve tried in 25 years is totally worth it to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Gorilla snot is the best I’ve found. However I don’t use it much because Blue Chip picks are naturally grippy due to the material they use. Ironically the gorilla snot comes off very quilt if you use it on that material too. But I’m something that usually gives me grip issues like Tortex, Gorilla Snot works extremely well if I’m not using a Blue Chip pick for some reason.

The moustache wax actually works pretty well. It's more sticky than gorilla snot but I'm not crazy about the extra stickyness. It seems it dries after a while which works better.

User Info Menu

the issue with both gorilla snot and moustache wax is when you want to play with your thumb...

I’ve tried every grip enhanced pick out there from the major manufacturers as well as V-Picks, Gravity, and Swiss Picks.

My favorite thing right now is the Dunlop lavender coloured Derlin 1.5mm - as a base.
    Then comes the sandpaper to shape the tip to a more more jazz III shape with bevels.
    Then I use the soldering pen, but I don’t make lines. Instead, I burn the tip straight in, and make ‘craters’.

Making the tip sharp let’s me get attack, but the material is soft so it’s not harsh.

I do have to maintenance the tips often because they’re so soft.

User Info Menu

I lick my thumb/index and wipe them on my pants. Perfect stickyness

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Jim Dunlop makes max grip version of the Jazz III.
    A long time ago I read an interview with John McLaughlin where he mentioned using a pocket knife to create grooves for better grip.
    I came with my own take on the idea using a soldering pen, I find it easier to get deeper grooves.
    I think after reading all the replies, this is probably the best answer....for me anyways. I don't really want to switch to something different, or pay exorbitant prices, or put goop on my fingers...I want to use the pick(s) I like.

I broke out the x-acto knife last night and scored up one of my jazztones and while it's better, it's still not as nice as the pattern on the primetone which helps with grip. I'd love the primetone if it was thicker, but I've only seen them up to 1.4mm. So, I'm certainly going to try the soldering iron tonight and see how that shapes up.

User Info Menu

I've never tried a soldering iron, but I've had success scoring lines into a pick with an X-acto knife. I usually score 3 lines at roughly 45 degrees, like slices of a pie. The other thing I've done with picks that have a smooth surface is take a nail file and rough up the sides to improve the grip.

User Info Menu

This is a pretty good pick. It sounds almost as good as a Blue Chip, and has built-in roughness for grip.
    Dunlop 427PJP John Petrucci Jazz III Guitar Picks 6 Pack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    3. Things I called "looseleaf reinforcements" when I was in elementary school. It's that little white circle, sticky on one side, that goes over the hole in 3 hole paper. They didn't stay on forever, but they worked and they had the advantage of making the pick easier to find when I dropped it on a carpet roughly the same color as the pick.

I think #3 was best, but, for some reason, I don't do it very often.
    I found some of these at the Office Depot today. They are called "Reinforcement Labels" and are only $2 for a package of 900 (!).

I stuck a couple on a pick and they are pretty nice. I would've liked for them to be a tad bit thicker, but I agree, they do seem to work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    I lick my thumb/index and wipe them on my pants. Perfect stickyness
    not for me. It's worked well for years but this year my skin is so dry that it doesn't work well anymore...

User Info Menu

I'm also a "licker", lol. Either lick my fingertips (usually only in the winter, when humidity is low and my skin id drier; in the other season when humidity is up I never have a problem), or if I'm sweating at all run my fingertips thru what's left of my hair to pick up a little of that LOL works well too. I keep it simple.

I have also found using hand cream just before helps, as it makes your SKIN stickier (it's not sticky, it's just moisturized and has better grip).

User Info Menu

I used to be a "carver," but now I use D'Andrea pro plecs, and they seem to naturally get a little sticky as they warm up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You can get powdered resin that will def increase the grip.

For me, I just lick the part where I hold. I know, it’s weird and gross, but it’s kind of a habit. I do this before playing every song. Increases the friction significantly.

I use Dunlop Tortex greens which are kind of a matte finish anyway.
    Johnny Gimble would lick his thumb every time he picked up his mandolin.

He would pick up the mandolin, lick his thumb, remove the pick from the strings then procede to play.

Your in good company.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I used to be a "carver," but now I use D'Andrea pro plecs, and they seem to naturally get a little sticky as they warm up.
    Did D'Andrea ever sort out their bent / warped issue? I just found an old lost pro post, warped like so many others...into the trash. Pro plecs are the greatest sounding , most poorly manufactured picks available.

User Info Menu

Dont know. Had a few hundred over the past 6-7 years, never had a warped one.

User Info Menu

I've had great success with Plasti Dip. It's the liquid stuff that's generally used to coat/rubberize tool handles. Comes in a can. I hold the front end of the pick with a hemostat. Then dip the pick's back end into the Plasti Dip can. Lift the pick out, let the excess drip off back down into the container, hang the hemostat so the pick won't touch any surfaces, and let dry. Takes maybe 30 minutes to dry. I can make the coating as thin or thick as I like. The coating stays intact for many months for me. Hard to drop them. It comes in different colors. I use red because it makes the pick more visible when you lose it. Works great for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I prefer a smooth surface with a few punched holes rather than a rough texture.

Like these:

Attachment 60795
    I make mine like that with my drill press. I'm still not convinced that it makes much of a difference.

User Info Menu

How do folks make a pick grip better?-screenshot_20190414-111410_samsung-internet-jpgHow do folks make a pick grip better?-screenshot_20190414-111402_samsung-internet-jpg

Never tried soldering tip - an especially tiny tip might be really cool ...

The above pics are the Black 1.5 mm and the Pink 1.2 mm delrin from D'Addario Planet Waves .

The waffle pattern is really deep and sharp
    for extreme grip.

A pretty nice pick - these are very slightly harder than the normal delrin and relatively low noise but articulate.

For other picks - I have scored them but I like the soldering thing because it should cause an even rougher surface
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 04-14-2019 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Superglue. Now my pick never leaves my hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Superglue. Now my pick never leaves my hand.
    Lol. John Stowell somehow supposedly gets his pick to stick - didn't read it all .

I need harmonic superglue to get all my notes ( 89.4%) to stick perfectly to the chord I am playing over ...

If it ( CA ) works for frets - it should work for notes ...¿

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Dont know. Had a few hundred over the past 6-7 years, never had a warped one.
    I nave had an issue when I was using the little tear drop 358 pro plecs but the larger “jazz” size were terribly warped. As I’ve posted before, I contacted D’Andrea and they sent me a replacement bag that was worse than what I already had, so they have to be aware of the issue. I prefer ultex on my Les Paul but my spruce top Eastman sounds best with PP picks so I really wish they’d get theit sh$t together.