The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 172 of 172

User Info Menu

I looked at Matt's post above and thought, "wait a minute, what about pattern 11 & 12". Went back and saw the previous schedule, those are due this week.

I forgot to record this in 4ths, so just 1/2, whole a minor 3rds. Trying to catch up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I looked at Matt's post above and thought, "wait a minute, what about pattern 11 & 12". Went back and saw the previous schedule, those are due this week.

I forgot to record this in 4ths, so just 1/2, whole a minor 3rds. Trying to catch up.
    Ha. Sounds like you've got it together pretty well though. Good job.

I'm slammed again this week and heading out of town. While looking at my usual ransom-note style editing material I found a segment where I got most of it in one take. Just thought I'd share, to keep it real. Something rough:

There's one pattern with a complete redo, and then the last descending minor 3rd pattern is incomplete. This is all in 7th and 6th positions. I may post a more finished version later. I re-rendered this a second time today and the title slides are still completely messed up. This video will probably vanish in a week or so.

Heading out of town for a choral festival and have to post what I've got today. A little rougher than I remember, but these are pretty difficult anyway:

Patterns 11 & 12
    Deadline Version
    6th and 7th Position

User Info Menu

ok, I had a quick question on the patterns please - basically around how people memorize them?

I'm only on the 4th pattern, really enjoying working through these by the way- hope it helps me nail the notes on the fretboard after all these years.!!

So,, the 3rd pattern followed C D E Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb F G A B Db

then the 4th went to C Eb Gb A F Ab B D Bb Db E G

I'm finding it tricky to memorise now - especially where the b/# notes are on the fretboard - while trying to keep the pattern in roughly the same area on the neck.

I might print off a fretboard diagram and highlight each pattern?
    although I would rather not have to look at a sheet when playing, I just wondered how other folks memorise these, especially as the note order changes with each pattern?

Thanks
    Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by android
    ... then the 4th went to C Eb Gb A F Ab B D Bb Db E G
    Is that pattern, or the way pattern moves around?
    Anyway, think of it as laid on fretboard.
    Seqence goes like this, for example:

Starting point (1st finger, 6th string, 8th fret) minor 3rd away (4th finger 6th string 11th fret) minor 3rd away (1st finger 5th string 9th fret) minor 3rd (4th finger, 5th string, 12th fret)

Repeat all starting on 5th string.

Repeat all starting on 4th string.

User Info Menu

ok, I had a quick question on the patterns please - basically around how people memorize them?

I'm only on the 4th pattern, really enjoying working through these by the way- hope it helps me nail the notes on the fretboard after all these years.!!

I'm finding it tricky to memorise now - especially where the b/# notes are on the fretboard - while trying to keep the pattern in roughly the same area on the neck.

although I would rather not have to look at a sheet when playing, I just wondered how other folks memorise these, especially as the note order changes with each pattern?

Thanks
    Andy

I already have notes, intervals and arpeggios learned in all positions, so, for me, it's just a matter of plugging in the sequence and deciding how to finger it. But Each sequence has been a challenge, especially the fourth sequence.

If you're still working out the notes and arpeggio shapes, I'd suggest really concentrating on the first sequence (moving up chromatically) of each set of exercises to get the arpeggio shapes under your fingers.

Even if you never get an exercise memorized, every time you go through it and work on the notes and fingerings, you're training that knowledge.

Thanks
    Andy
    These are some thoughts on how I look at memorizing where things are in position. I've done one previously out of a 7-pattern framework, which is what I use. So, in this one, I changed up and I did a more CAGED-type perspective - how you might approach in 5 positions:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-29-2019 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I got through Patterns 7-9 today, still creeping along a bit slowly, 105 bpm on DrumGenius.

I also am hanging too much on the bass strings. But at this point, I'm just happy to be in the game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I got through Patterns 7-9 today, still creeping along a bit slowly, 105 bpm on DrumGenius.

I also am hanging too much on the bass strings. But at this point, I'm just happy to be in the game at all.

Good job, Lawson. I liked your "half ish" accommodation. Thanks for hanging with us!

User Info Menu

Just managed to get these recorded among the spring cleaning projects

I combined the variations for both pattern 11 and pattern 12 into one exercise per cycle. So ascending/descending then descending/ascending for each pattern. Everything is at 135 bpm.

Pattern A - chromatic - 14th position and higher - lower roots on the A D G strings:

Pattern B - 4ths - 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions - lower roots on the A D G strings:

Pattern C - whole steps - 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th positions - lower roots on the E A D strings:

Pattern D - minor 3rds - 9th, 19th and 11th positions - lower roots on the D G B strings:

User Info Menu

Is there going to be a new thread for April?

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-02-2019 at 08:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Yeah. I'd planned on it. Is a separate thread for each month the way to divide this up? What determines how many posts should be in a thread or how to divide such things up anyway? Would be cool tho hear from you on this, Frank.
    Hi Matt,

For me it depends on how big the treads become. And, this one is looks to be a big thread or group of threads.

For big threads I prefer that they be broken into chunks. That way, folks can join in at a later date and post in where there posts are more or less in the right sequence. If you go with the multiple threads, I would suggest creating a thread that is an index of the threads like I did for the Modern Method threads.

Just my 2 cents, I'm happy with whatever you decide.

User Info Menu

I have had no small amount of trouble with these two, even at a modest tempo.

User Info Menu

Hello! As I'm trying to catch rest of the group (at some point), I will be posting my recorded clips in to these threads. I am working patterns in linear order, but I'll try to go thru these earlier patterns in faster pace. Will see how that goes, since allready in patterns 7-8 the minimum tempo (100 BPM) was not easy for me. I do feel that this is exactly what my playing needs. Here are 1-4:

User Info Menu

And here are 5-8:

Any feedback of my playing is welcome. My technic is far from perfect and these clips are not without mistakes, but I think I did ok. I don't want to get stuck for too long time in one particural pattern (trying to get it to perfection), otherwise I will never catch rest of the group

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Any feedback of my playing is welcome. My technic is far from perfect and these clips are not without mistakes, but I think I did ok. I don't want to get stuck for too long time in one particural pattern (trying to get it to perfection), otherwise I will never catch rest of the group

Great job! I didn't pick out any glaring mistakes. The first pattern wasn't really locked into the metronome, but the remainder had solid time and everything sounded pretty smooth. You never really said what your goals are for working on this stuff other than to catch up with the group, but I'd take good time and sounding smooth over faster tempos.

User Info Menu

Thanks fw for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I find triplets harder to lock with beat/metronome. Its something I need keep working on. As for my goals with this group, i am hoping for overall technical improvement in my playing and more vocabulary to improvisation. Most of the time my playing is noodling and I feel that im just using same old patterns.

User Info Menu

Good work. No reason they should sound “perfect” for posting here and there is no reason not to go through them at slower tempos, which is great for both ear and fingers. Your mic seems to take in a lot of noise on some of the recordings, maybe positioning it differently or moving might help?

I did like you did when I found the group and went through the ones I was behind on, glad I did. I’ve also gone back and looked at a few of them in slower tempos afterwards.

Hello! As I'm trying to catch rest of the group (at some point), I will be posting my recorded clips in to these threads. I am working patterns in linear order, but I'll try to go thru these earlier patterns in faster pace. Will see how that goes, since allready in patterns 7-8 the minimum tempo (100 BPM) was not easy for me. I do feel that this is exactly what my playing needs.
    Well, you're doing a very good job. Congrats. I wouldn't over worry on the triplets . You mentioned them earlier.

Triplets are always going to be less precise until you put in some extra time on them, because we all just tend to play them so less frequently otherwise. If you spend some time playing scales, arpeggios etc. using only triplet rhythms , they will improve pretty quickly. Remember that when you're playing with the metronome , the first point of synchronization is really beat 2. You're fine on beat 1 on those triplets. If you build the phrase a note at a time starting from 2, you'll sync tighter tio the click.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-31-2019 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are my patterns 9-12. The sound quality is pretty bad. I use Zoom 2 for recording