The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 172

User Info Menu

definitely not too slow for me, Matt. I would prefer to err toward digging in and exploring these deeply. I'm in no rush and favor that over a cursory approach.

And thanks for getting us going. This may turn out to be one of the most effective things I've done here. I'm certainly happy about where this seems to be headed. I may even get to call myself a jazz guitarist some day!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Patterns 5-6 only... that sounds good to me. Coker turns those two into 8 exercises so it's actually more than last week.

User Info Menu

I'm all for it, of course.

I'm not shooting for the max tempo on any of this stuff, just a tempo somewhere in the middle of the recommended range. For me the mental gymnastics and visualization are where I really need the work. It's coming along slower than I expected, so a more relaxed pace is good. The drills are making me face how deficient I am at seeing notes on the D and G strings - something I thought I had down decades ago. Of course coming from a rock background thinking in flats is killing me... C#... wait... no... Db... great, I just lost my place again

I was hoping to post something on patterns 5 and 6 tomorrow, but I've got to tear my one working guitar apart, adjust the neck, replace the pots and rewire everything tonight. Hopefully it all goes smooth.

Patterns 5-6:

I'd like to tighten up the time on these, but this may be all I can manage to post this week. Comments appreciated.

Quiet here. How are we on 5-6?

5-6 present new issues depending on approach. I'm alternate picking everything, so there's less change for descending.... How do the descending patterns affect your right hand?

Do we want to share fingerings etc? Here are mine for 7th/6th position on these triads in the "7th position2" pdf. I put them in cycle-of-4ths order. So, they're basically CAGED through the first 4. 5 is one note different (finger 1 instead of 4). Then, 2 extra which don't fall under caged organization.

I also attached a possible CAGED-type fingering approach for the same 12 arps ...."7th position CAGED 2". I know the 2-3-4 fingering on the E-form is different from most maybe. Also, the 4-4 fingering on the last 2 notes of the D-form arp...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-16-2019 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm working on 5-6 and taking them back to the approaches on the earlier patterns, trying to stay in one region of the neck, etc. Not using a drum track yet though. I am seeing why I need to be doing this kind of thing. I don't switch octaves and jump up a 4th very quickly and smoothly!

User Info Menu

The best laid plans....

I had an unscheduled day and planned to record videos today. But my mom fell during the night and fractured her shoulder. (Humerus, the long bone.) She's in the hospital awaiting a surgeon's visit. I came home to sleep a bit. (She was given morphine and was sleeping too.)

I thought I'd do a quick take of 5 and 6 but my phone says I have low storage on Impact (the software that runs my iTrack Pocket.) So now I have to offload things to free up space to record new stuff. Not a big deal really, but as Charles Bukowski put it, "a shoelace that snaps with no time left."

Perhaps "when the evening sun goes down, you'll find me hangin' around."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Quiet here. How are we on 5-6?

5-6 present new issues depending on approach. I'm alternate picking everything, so there's less change for descending.... How do the descending patterns affect your right hand?

Do we want to share fingerings etc? Here are mine for 7th/6th position on these triads. I put them in cycle-of-4ths order. So, they're basically CAGED through the first 4. 5 is one note different (finger 1 instead of 4). Then, 2 extra which don't fall under caged organization.7th position2.pdf

Nice job, Matt. I like your fingering approaches and I'll probably use those to start. You are much further along than I am as I am basically starting 5 & 6 today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The best laid plans....

I had an unscheduled day and planned to record videos today. But my mom fell during the night and fractured her shoulder. (Humerus, the long bone.) She's in the hospital awaiting a surgeon's visit. I came home to sleep a bit. (She was given morphine and was sleeping too.)

I thought I'd do a quick take of 5 and 6 but my phone says I have low storage on Impact (the software that runs my iTrack Pocket.) So now I have to offload things to free up space to record new stuff. Not a big deal really, but as Charles Bukowski put it, "a shoelace that snaps with no time left."

Perhaps "when the evening sun goes down, you'll find me hangin' around."
    I'm sorry to hear of your mom's injury. I hope she can soon be comfortable and recover soon.

I delete my videos from my phone after I post to youtube. I figure I don't need them anymore. The video files can be huge, deleting them is the easiest way to free up space on your phone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'm sorry to hear of your mom's injury. I hope she can soon be comfortable and recover soon.

I delete my videos from my phone after I post to youtube. I figure I don't need them anymore. The video files can be huge, deleting them is the easiest way to free up space on your phone.
    Same here. I do a clip of something every day, listen to it as couple times, and delete. No need to keep them on the phone.

User Info Menu

At 160 bpm, staying in one position which is 5 frets. I went one fret out of position a couple of times.

If anyone wants... I'll tab out the shapes I'm using if you can't figure it out from the video.

User Info Menu

Thanks, fep. For now, they're putting off surgery. They want to work with the shoulder for three days and then see where things stand. (That's my understanding via mom; I haven't spoken with the surgeon yet. He's supposed to call me tomorrow.)

As for deleting videos from my phone, that's just what I did. Had 28 on there. God knows why I didn't delete them before. Just hadn't thought about it. Though they're short, video files eat up a lot of storage space.

At 160 bpm, staying in one position which is 5 frets. I went one fret out of position a couple of times.

If anyone wants... I'll tab out the shapes I'm using if you can't figure it out from the video.

Nice, relaxed left hand. You make it look easy.

User Info Menu

So here's my first shot on Patterns 5-6, done achingly slow (sorry about that). I do each one per the book, then do each one per pattern 2, the rising by 4ths. I hope this week to pick up the pace and adapt these to 3-4 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's my first shot on Patterns 5-6, done achingly slow (sorry about that).
    No apology needed. Good job. Great tone as always, and you pulled off the exercises well. I think it's definitely cool to post what you can cleanly. That's what I'm aiming for as much as possible too.

In the intro, it's stated that the upper tempo number is mainly there to keep you from practicing things needlessly after you know them. It's the "Move on, and stop practicing things you already know" tempo.

IMO, 5 and 6 are particularly harder than they would be technically on some other instruments. They have many more notes with string crossings which utilize the same left hand finger as the previous note. I think this one technical aspect is very difficult until it is learned pretty well. They can be played as rolls in some situations, but there are many where it's same-finger-different-fret/string here as well. It's really good technical work, but I don't find them easy at all.

Frank's sounded pretty clean, but mine definitely had a few "issues" at the tempo I was playing.

There are some of these triad fingerings which are technically harder to play than their 4-note arp counterparts IMO.

User Info Menu

Here are patterns 5 and 6 utilizing the B (4ths) and C (whole steps) variations. I combined both 5 and 6 into one exercise, so for each variation I do up - down then turn it around and do down - up.

There are a few flubs. For some reason I was really self-conscious recording this week and had a hard time getting a decent take for either of these. I gave up trying to get a good take for the D variation (minor 3rds). I'll try it again tomorrow and see how it goes.

For these exercises I focused on three positions - 3rd position with lower roots on the A D and G strings, 8th position with lower roots on the E A and D strings and 10th position with lower roots on the D G and B strings. For demonstration, I chose to do one variation in each position. I made charts of the fingerings I'm using just to try out the new version of Neck Diagrams. The export to pdf feature is very nice.

The first vid is 4ths in 8th position: Major Arpeggios 8th Position.pdf

The second vid is whole steps in 3rd position. For the high C and Db arpeggios I moved out of position to grab the octave on the high E string: Major Arpeggios 3rd Position.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    Here are patterns 5 and 6 utilizing the B (4ths) and C (whole steps) variations. I combined both 5 and 6 into one exercise, so for each variation I do up - down then turn it around and do down - up.

There are a few flubs. For some reason I was really self-conscious recording this week and had a hard time getting a decent take for either of these. I gave up trying to get a good take for the D variation (minor 3rds). I'll try it again tomorrow and see how it goes.

For these exercises I focused on three positions - 3rd position with lower roots on the A D and G strings, 8th position with lower roots on the E A and D strings and 10th position with lower roots on the D G and B strings. For demonstration, I chose to do one variation in each position. I made charts of the fingerings I'm using just to try out the new version of Neck Diagrams. The export to pdf feature is very nice.

The first vid is 4ths in 8th position: Major Arpeggios 8th Position.pdf

The second vid is whole steps in 3rd position. For the high C and Db arpeggios I moved out of position to grab the octave on the high E string: Major Arpeggios 3rd Position.pdf

Good job, and thanks for posting. I had a couple of questions about this actually that were answered in the other thread . So, thanks for that as well. Thanks for posting the fingerings as well.

Did you post your PDFs Via Tapatalk? I originally posted mine that way and then couldn't open them without going to web view. Irritating. Anyway, I was wondering if yours did something similar.

Good job on labeling everything by the way. That was my first thought upon seeing your post: that I didn't do mine right at all. :-)

User Info Menu

Good job, and thanks for posting. I had a couple of questions about this actually that were answered in the other thread . So, thanks for that as well. Thanks for posting the fingerings as well.

Did you post your PDFs Via Tapatalk? I originally posted mine that way and then couldn't open them without going to web view. Irritating. Anyway, I was wondering if yours did something similar.

Good job on labeling everything by the way. That was my first thought upon seeing your post: that I didn't do mine right at all. :-)

I posted from my laptop and only at the last minute figured out how to drag the attachments into the post. Normally I would just load stuff like that up to my website and drop a link, but I saw that you had attached your file and decided to try it that way.

I haven't used tapatalk for a very long time. I seem to remember that sort of thing being one of the reasons I dumped it, eventually.

Good job, Mark. You seem particularly comfortable with the first two. That's some aggressive foot tapping BTW. :-) Thanks for posting.

I edited the title post's dates:

Mar 10: patterns 1-4
    Mar 17: patterns 5-6
    Mar 24: patterns 7-10
    Mar 31: patterns 11-12

User Info Menu

I edited the title post's dates:

Mar 10: patterns 1-4
    Mar 17: patterns 5-6
    Mar 24: patterns 7-10
    Mar 31: patterns 11-12

Looks good to me. I'm going to work pattern 7 in open position, pattern 8 in 5th position, pattern 9 in 7th position and pattern 10 in 12th position. I'm also thinking about concentrating on one position at a time, getting that worked up and posting the vid as I go through the week. I'll see how it goes this week.

User Info Menu

Good job, Mark. You seem particularly comfortable with the first two. That's some aggressive foot tapping BTW. :-) Thanks for posting.
    I'll say! I didn't notice myself doing that when it happened. I noticed it when I uploaded the video. Nerves.

Just got off the phone w/ my mom, who is still in the hospital after a fall Saturday morning which resulted in a shoulder fracture. She wants to come home NOW. Ain't gonna happen. She's a sweet person in most ways, but when it comes to doctors, her nickname is "the non-compliant patient."

I'll say! I didn't notice myself doing that when it happened. I noticed it when I uploaded the video. Nerves.

Just got off the phone w/ my mom, who is still in the hospital after a fall Saturday morning which resulted in a shoulder fracture. She wants to come home NOW. Ain't gonna happen. She's a sweet person in most ways, but when it comes to doctors, her nickname is "the non-compliant patient."
    All the best to your mom, Mark.

I think it would be cool if we posted early versions of some of this stuff, a couple of weeks out or so. It could be questions, thoughts etc. Or just brief playing examples. It would give us more of a reference point for commenting on each other's playing.. something from which to measure progress etc.

So here are some of mine...

Patterns 7-10, one week out:

Patterns 11-12, two weeks out:

Thoughts on the Randy Vincent phrasing thing on some of these:

At some point I refer to the "Randy Vincent stuff we did with Lawson". Meant to say "Jimmy Rainey stuff we did with Lawson"....

You definitely don't have to post anything as long-winded as some of my comments...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.