Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Ah yes i have a PDF of the book....shame its not in tab form im terrible reading music
    This is a great way to learn to read! It starts with major triads, root, third, and fifth. (Triads are line-line-line or space-space-space in treble clef.) Then you just repeat the pattern on the other chords. It's the same pattern for each chord, and the rhythms (early on, anyway) are the same. So it's really ideal for starting to read music!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    This is a great way to learn to read! It starts with major triads, root, third, and fifth. (Triads are line-line-line or space-space-space in treble clef.) Then you just repeat the pattern on the other chords. It's the same pattern for each chord, and the rhythms (early on, anyway) are the same. So it's really ideal for starting to read music!
    Sounds good - i have been going over the history on this thread, so basically, you are just repeating the pattern
    through all notes of the chromatic scale - starting on the 6th string, so is this like 'Arpeggios' where you are sounding out the notes of the chord?

Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Sounds good - i have been going over the history on this thread, so basically, you are just repeating the pattern
    through all notes of the chromatic scale - starting on the 6th string, so is this like 'Arpeggios' where you are sounding out the notes of the chord?

Thanks
    Andy

The first 28 exercises are arpeggios moving through four different root cycles (minor seconds, major seconds, minor thirds, fourths).

There is nothing dictating where you play the patterns on the fingerboard. I'm working with 3 string sets (EAD, ADG, DGB) and different starting fingers for each set of drills. It's really up to you how you want to go through this stuff.

As far as reading goes, even if you just played everything straight eighth notes, you'd still get a lot out of running the root cycles.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

Here are the fingerings I'm using for major 2nds in 7th and 8th position. I've decided to stick with non-stretch fingerings for this weeks work.

For the octave C and Db arpeggios, I ascend with fingers 4 3 2 and descend with fingers 1 2 3

Major Arpeggios - 2nds - 7th-8th Position.pdf
    The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Thanks, think i have a grasp on the basic idea- sounds like this is not a strict thing, as long as you play the correct notes,

im reading the 1st pattern as C E G C G E C
    so i can start 8th fret low e string,

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed