The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    Hi!

I made this little chord progression to challenge my left hand. There is some quite wide spreads with fretting fingers at least to me. There is also free tabs available for this. If you try it, please be careful.

Kindest, Mikko

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great playing, melodic and beautiful phrasing.

That's really nice to hear. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Very very nice. How long does it take to be able to cleanly make those stretches.

User Info Menu

Those are some beautiful chord voicings you've come up with!

And the only way to get your fretting fingers to develop reach ability is by practicing those sort of stretches.

Nice melodic improvising too!

User Info Menu

Oh man, that chord in the third measure is evil, the D#m7 flat 5 with the b string ringing. Pretty voicing for a legit chord. That would be the 6 chord of F# melodic minor.

I moved it down a string with the bottom note on the E string at the 11'th fret so that you can play the chord shape and just let the B string ring open. Same notes. That one I can play!

Really nice music man!

Will have to slowly try to make the reach. You make it look too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Very very nice. How long does it take to be able to cleanly make those stretches.
    Thank you! It depends a lot about fingers and years of playing. To me some of these were quite difficult to get clear at all.
    Last edited by MikkoKarhula; 03-26-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Those are some beautiful chord voicings you've come up with!

And the only way to get your fretting fingers to develop reach ability is by practicing those sort of stretches.

Nice melodic improvising too!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Authentic Jazz Guitar
    thanks a lot!!

User Info Menu

Beautiful.

The semi legato/legato stuff is really pretty and never sounds forced .

Love the voicings too ...

User Info Menu

Very pretty!

Am I allowed to say that I find the vibrato a little heavy? Just a personal thing I suppose, it's just that with a little less vibrato I could have been made to feel I was floating on my back in a large outdoor floatation tank of steaming hot water whilst looking at a bruised sky.... or something.

(BTW- I often make the same complaint of my own playing, so take it with a grain of salt...)

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Beautiful.

The semi legato/legato stuff is really pretty and never sounds forced .

Love the voicings too ...
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Very pretty!

Am I allowed to say that I find the vibrato a little heavy? Just a personal thing I suppose, it's just that with a little less vibrato I could have been made to feel I was floating on my back in a large outdoor floatation tank of steaming hot water whilst looking at a bruised sky.... or something.

(BTW- I often make the same complaint of my own playing, so take it with a grain of salt...)
    Of course you are allowed to say that. Thank you for that comment!
    That's good point about the vibrato. I love tender but heavy vibrato. I guess it's part of me. But when watching this video again I think I should have used more versatile vibratos like in the beginning of the improvisation. I used too much that heavy vibrato and it kind of lost its meaning.

Maybe I pay attention more to vibratos next time. Thank you for the comment!

Cheers, Mikko

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula
    Of course you are allowed to say that. Thank you for that comment!
    That's good point about the vibrato. I love tender but heavy vibrato. I guess it's part of me. But when watching this video again I think I should have used more versatile vibratos like in the beginning of the improvisation. I used too much that heavy vibrato and it kind of lost its meaning.

Maybe I pay attention more to vibratos next time. Thank you for the comment!

Cheers, Mikko
    Yes, it's always a fine line isn't it? I'm trying to think of a reference and can only come up with Mark Knopfler, but I'd need to hear those early records again. I'm sure there are some tunes where the vibrato is heavy, but for the more layed back tracks he backs it off just right. Put it this way, I never felt like he over did it for any particular song he played on. I think that only comes from listening to yourself a lot, because you don't always notice it when you are playing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Yes, it's always a fine line isn't it? I'm trying to think of a reference and can only come up with Mark Knopfler, but I'd need to hear those early records again. I'm sure there are some tunes where the vibrato is heavy, but for the more layed back tracks he backs it off just right. Put it this way, I never felt like he over did it for any particular song he played on. I think that only comes from listening to yourself a lot, because you don't always notice it when you are playing, right?
    Yeah, that's right. I remember to record something new things and beeing very excited about the result. After gtime had gone I listened it again and heard that it wasn't so good after all. Some things just fades away when you get emotional and it's hard to hear the whole thing.